Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

changing headlamp bulbs

Views : 5643

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:20   #1
bazzam

Default changing headlamp bulbs

Anyone got any tips about changing headlamp bulbs on the S80?
Getting the whole unit out is OK if not a bit overkill but actually removing the bulbs and replacing them seems to need the strength of superman and the hands the size of a 6 year olds.
Dipped beam bulb is manageable but the main beam and parking light is a a real problem.
Any help appreciated.
bazzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 16:21   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

Isn't the latest S80 equipped with Xenons??
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 18:56   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

Xenons are still a cost option in the UK AFAIAA.

At least you can get the unit out, believe me, you wouldn't think it overkill if you tried it without removing the unit. Is it difficult to get into the back of the unit or is the problem the bulbs being tight in the socket ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:06   #4
bazzam

They're halogen bulbs.

The problem is getting access into the small opening at the back - I can just about touch the bulb holder but not enough to get a grip on it.

My previous S80 was so easy - just a 2 minute job!!
bazzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 13:28   #5
calypsoe34
VOC Member

Ebay is doing a roaring trade in replacement headlamps for these because of breakages. Dipped beam is painful enough, but at least there's decent access. Main beam H9 bulb replacement is nigh on impossible with your fingers, and the bulb holder is held into the unit with 3 flimsy pieces of plastic. I turned the bulb and its built in socket using a long nosed pliers, and got it out - but when I put the replacement bulb in, it snapped the mountings. Headlamp a write-off.

The other thing is that if you push to hard on the bulb surround, the internal bulb mountings can break away from the rest of the lamp, rendering ir scrap, as you can't remove the glass from the rest of the headlamp assembly.

When I first saw the way the lamps came out for bulb replacement, I thought "what an inspired piece of design" - that feeling didn't last, as the lamp unit was designed by an imbecile, clearly.

Still - I have decided to replace the lamps with the 2008 on ones, which although still halogen, are better looking with the extra silver part at the front of the lamp, so all's well - even if I'm £150 down. I'll try and treat the whole episode as an upgrade rather than a screw up! Dealer says they will fit my new bright bulbs FOC.
Previous : 1997 S70 S 2.5 140BHP

Last edited by calypsoe34; Mar 31st, 2011 at 13:45.
calypsoe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 23:08   #6
Westyman
VOC Member

My 2005 V70 ate dipped beam bulbs until I bought some long-life ones, meant for constantly-on use, like Volvos. The first one took me several hours, but after a few years I got it down to about 30 mins.
I had a technician friend at a Volvo franchise (made redundant after Pendragon took over and then closed the place) who said they took the front bumper off, as it was quicker!!
Have yet to experience the "pleasure" on my 2011MY V70.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 15:09   #7
andycoop62
Andycoop62

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoe34 View Post
Ebay is doing a roaring trade in replacement headlamps for these because of breakages. Dipped beam is painful enough, but at least there's decent access. Main beam H9 bulb replacement is nigh on impossible with your fingers, and the bulb holder is held into the unit with 3 flimsy pieces of plastic. I turned the bulb and its built in socket using a long nosed pliers, and got it out - but when I put the replacement bulb in, it snapped the mountings. Headlamp a write-off.

The other thing is that if you push to hard on the bulb surround, the internal bulb mountings can break away from the rest of the lamp, rendering ir scrap, as you can't remove the glass from the rest of the headlamp assembly.

When I first saw the way the lamps came out for bulb replacement, I thought "what an inspired piece of design" - that feeling didn't last, as the lamp unit was designed by an imbecile, clearly.

Still - I have decided to replace the lamps with the 2008 on ones, which although still halogen, are better looking with the extra silver part at the front of the lamp, so all's well - even if I'm £150 down. I'll try and treat the whole episode as an upgrade rather than a screw up! Dealer says they will fit my new bright bulbs FOC.
I just changed both main beams in my 2007 S80 after they bizarrely blew at the same time. Pig of a job, near side went okay but on the offside the reflector assembly inside came adrift completely. Using hooks, I managed to refit it onto its clips and put the new bulb in. Not easy but saved me a new unit. Hint: I used the headlight retaining pins to hook the reflector unit and pull it back onto its mountings
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 17:22   #8
green van man
Premier Member

I baught a long parallel opening jaws pliers specifically for this job, £23 well spent by the look if it. I've changed the dip beams, not needed the others yet but just looking at the job convinced me to get the kit ready as sure as eggs it's gonna be needed.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 20:31   #9
Waynedance

Dam halogen bulbs must be harder to replace than my xenons as they take 5 minutes.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 03:45   #10
Thommykent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Dam halogen bulbs must be harder to replace than my xenons as they take 5 minutes.
No one likes a braggart mate
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, changing, headlamp