Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wtf Volvo?!..

Views : 6050

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 17:18   #31
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Ive had Sensus propose alternative routes many times, with the option to accept or decline. Can’t honestly say I find much wrong with it. I use several vehicles with satellite navigation, so I do compare like with like.
You saying when you reject a proposed route it doesn’t propose the same route again? And not once for me- but literally 20+ times.. I find it quite a distraction..

There’s no settings to alternate route proposal as far as I could tell. It’s either on or off. I believe it’s called “taffic events” and you can either turn it off, set it to “ask for confirmation” or turn it to automatic (ie. you will get re-routed automatically, without notification..). Mine is set to “ask”..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
Each to his own. I'm not generally concerned with the A bit as I know the general way. All I really require is the guidance around B, and then usually away from B.
It’s not about knowledge of geography though- often times I know both A and B (and everything in between..) but in and around large cities (I live in Paris, drive a lot around Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, etc..) due to traffic conditions, roadworks etc. just the knowledge of geography does not suffice.. In Paris we measure distance in minutes (hours even..) rather than kms/miles..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:55   #32
BigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I was hoping for a vast improvement, though some posters' comments would indicate otherwise.

When approaching a roundabout, the old system would simply say "Take the third exit".
Does the new system now add "onto A6135 towards somewhere" ?
Better than the Mercedes Comand sat nav which always tells you 'Turn left' when approaching a roundabout, regardless of which exit you need to take
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:59   #33
BigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I cannot fault my SatNav, i always arrive at my destination, I love the ability to enter the route from my VOC app the night before and updates arrive OTA without problem.
I'm also quite happy with mine except the size of the buttons at the top of the screen (recent, address etc) and their proximity to the bezel. A bit tight for my big fingers
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 19:11   #34
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I'm also quite happy with mine except the size of the buttons at the top of the screen (recent, address etc) and their proximity to the bezel.
If you're referring to the tabs across the top, you don't have to touch the actual tab; simply swipe left or right to get to the screen tab you want.

This also holds true for any screens that show tabs across the top, eg Music Player, and is particularly useful to access the tiny search icon which is top left on some screens.

Last edited by Lexman8; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 19:14.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 19:25   #35
AdamC86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted View Post
Yes I agree. I find the German cars have much better sat nav systems. Some of my friends tell me to use the phone for navigation but I am just too lazy to having to plug the phone in and attach to the dashboard each time I get into the car...
Having just come from an E Class for the past two years, I can assure you this isn’t true...
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 18:20   #36
chrisfr

I have a tom tom which i use on another car. It never takes you the same way twice, does not give an overview of the route, does not give different route options to choose from.It takes you on the most rediculous roundabout route it can think of. It is as resilient as the toyota hilux that the top gear team dropped off buildings a few years ago as it has survived being hurled out the car window after yet another irritating journey via john o groats or Timbuktu. It was recently used on a journey through london and refused to re route any other way except through the blackwall tunnel ( which was closed due to floods). Believe me the volvo system is wonderful by comparison to the sh ite I have had to endure with that piece of so called technology. I even threw it into my swimming pool once thinking that would cause it to finally be put out of its misery, but no , just like the toyota hilux , it still works! By the way as a final torment it now seems to be permenantly stuck in french language mode.
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 19:43   #37
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
By the way as a final torment it now seems to be permenantly stuck in french language mode.
Perhaps it is a consolation that anything worse is very unlikely to happen
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 20:53   #38
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC86 View Post
Having just come from an E Class for the past two years, I can assure you this isn’t true...
Ok fair enough. I just haven't had confidence in the Volvo sat nav just yet 'cos it showed me at the wrong location for 9 days in a row.

I had 3 E classes before switching to an S90. It was just a pure work horse, always getting me from A to B without fuss. Typical German taxi. I couldn't resist Volvo's pioneering safety features though and switched...
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 21:22   #39
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Google Maps anyone?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 07:35   #40
WhatNext?

Google Maps with Google Assistant & Android auto.

you cannot go wrong with that
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote