Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would this put you off car purchase...w

Views : 2293

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:16   #1
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Default Would this put you off car purchase...w

OK, state of play. Have been interested in a 14 plate mini one d, base spec, 1.5 BMW triple, One owner, looks immaculate. Went for a test drive today and when we finally accessed the cars service history, all John Clark mini Aberdeen, it had missed it's first service, ie hadn't seen a service till 26k miles...?

It has had all subsequent services yearly, on dot, at 31k and 37k and now sits on 41k miles. I would be keeping car for five years, really, and will likely put 100k miles on it. Is that missing first service as big an issue as am making it, or would the subsequent services have picked up any unresolved problems.

Reason am asking is it is spec and colour I wanted, base spec, small wheels, One owner, just came off a cherished number.

Advice greatly appreciated.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:31   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Just my thoughts are the car is 5 years old, so guessing it is now out of the warranty period, so the missing service won't have any impact there. I would have thought that if anything was seriously amiss then it would have been picked up on all the other services. Seems to have low mileages between each of the other services. Will the missing service have any impact further on, I guess no one can really say.

If you are happy in all other respects I think I would be inclined to go for it. Maybe try a bit of hmmming and aaaaaring in respect of the missing service to try and get a few £££££'s off.
MikeGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 01:41   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I have never owned such a new car and have always operated on the premise it's easy to walk away, there are lots of used cars around. But with minis it is very hard to find just what you are looking for given the propensity of owners to personalize them, and on the face of it it looks to be a nice car, even alloys are unkerbed. Will throw them a silly offer most likely.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 02:02   #4
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Checking online it appears many minis have missed first services as they operate on a ridiculous CBS, condition based system. The car monitors your driving, fluid levels, quality etc, and it is reputed to be quite normal to get to 18-20k miles without an oil change, and many cars have had their first service at two years old because of this (ridiculous?) system. Maybe an just getting old but surely a car should be serviced at a given mileage not dependent on ten Bob sensors?
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 03:05   #5
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Checking online it appears many minis have missed first services as they operate on a ridiculous CBS, condition based system. The car monitors your driving, fluid levels, quality etc, and it is reputed to be quite normal to get to 18-20k miles without an oil change, and many cars have had their first service at two years old because of this (ridiculous?) system. Maybe an just getting old but surely a car should be serviced at a given mileage not dependent on ten Bob sensors?
You might be getting old Gbn but thats no excuse for not moving with the times,

Ten Bob sensors, like it

You are certainly doing your homework regarding your proposed purchase. Has this latest find alleviated any of your concerns?
MikeGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 05:32   #6
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Ten Bob sensors, like it
Makes me wonder if the younger members of the forum are thinking "What is a Bob sensor and why do you need 10 of them"
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 06:26   #7
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
...but surely a car should be serviced at a given mileage not dependent on ten Bob sensors?
Why, a set mileage was only the best available estimate in times gone by, due to the different driving styles and uses was far from accurately determining a car's need for a service. Indeed it was more of a guess as to the need than sensors.

Of course the setting of the sensors is a different discussion.

Personally I wouldn't be put off buying it because of the first service, although I would question if a diesel mini is the wisest choice for 20k miles pa.

Best of luck with your decision.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 06:28   #8
green van man
Premier Member

In a word Yes.

Works van was 6k overdue it's first service because the lease company insisted it had not done the milage despite the 10 bob sensor saying it needed oil change. It needed a new turbo before 100kg
This is a BMW a company that biuld engines with a propensity to eat turbos, read the 3 series forums. If you can stomach the cost of a new turbo and like the car take a chance but I would find another car or differing make if they are all the same.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:17   #9
roundyuk

Modern oils etc will last far longer than they recommend to change them, it’s been well looked after since. It’s a second hand car, in the spec you want and by the sounds of it the right money....I wouldn’t be concerned. I’ve bought cars with missing service details, never been an issue; you can tell if it’s been looked after with all the other metrics.

If you’re a rivet counter and think you can find another you like, walk away; if not go for it. Whether it had the first service or not isn’t going to stop a poorly produced component like a turbo from going at X time.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:51   #10
iain cooper

I had a mini cooper new in 2007. I had done 17,000 mls and it was not due the first service for another 6 months.

Although I probably didn't need to, I changed the oil and filter myself, as I reckoned it would have done at least 25,000 mls before the first service.

With new oils and engine technology it would have been ok to leave it, but it made me feel better !

Iain