Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Garage Recommendation Near Cambridge

Views : 496

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 14:55   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Default C70 Garage Recommendation Near Cambridge

Hello, I live in Cambridge with a 2001 C70.

My local brilliant garage has ceased work; King's Volvo in Ely (independent of great repute in the past, not so much towards the end) have now gone; and I'm sure Marshall Volvo (main dealer) will have a hourly rate which can't really be justified. This leaves me at a loss as to where to go!

Does anyone know where I could take the C70 for future tinkering near-ish Cambridge? I'm happy to travel a bit and get public transport back.

Specifically, I think it needs some suspension work as it's pretty rattly and awful on anything but a motorway.
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 08:52   #2
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescarruthers View Post

My local brilliant garage has ceased work; King's Volvo in Ely (independent of great repute in the past, not so much towards the end) have now gone; and I'm sure Marshall Volvo (main dealer) will have a hourly rate which can't really be justified. This leaves me at a loss as to where to go!

Does anyone know where I could take the C70 for future tinkering near-ish Cambridge? I'm happy to travel a bit and get public transport back.

Specifically, I think it needs some suspension work as it's pretty rattly and awful on anything but a motorway.
Probably further than you were thinking, but these guys know their stuff and are on a train line to Cambridge....
https://www.independentvolvoservices.com/
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:45   #3
GDPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Probably further than you were thinking, but these guys know their stuff and are on a train line to Cambridge....
https://www.independentvolvoservices.com/
Joe
Actually I'd be up for a trip like that for a good garage. I used to take my Citroen C6 from Cambridge to Welwyn Garden City for servicing because the garage there were so good.

Thank you for the recommendation. I take it you use them?

Last edited by GDPR; Jan 20th, 2020 at 11:46. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:31   #4
Joe H

Yes, used him in the past for servicing then to sort issues and he has always been knowledgeable. Have a talk to them over the phone before committing.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:13   #5
GDPR

Thanks very much Joe. I shall have a think about when to go in the next month or so. Cheers.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 15:11   #6
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDPR View Post

My Goddess of a 960 Estate has received loving attention at a great price from Mill Hill Garage in March and my Brother swears by Volvo Spares and repairs in Swaffham. My S80s going there soon so feedback will be coming up on that one.

March from Ely isn't far as the Volvo flies and neither is Swaffham either.

Anyhow good luck there's always The Lakes at Wyboston too they seem like good eggs and very knowledgeable..
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 15:36   #7
4x4
Premier Member

My 850 spent 14 years in Cambridge and was MOT'd at

OVER GARAGE
27 HIGH STREET
OVER
CAMBRIDGE
CB24 5NB

or

RAMPTON MOTORS
8 THE GREEN
RAMPTON
CAMBRIDGE
CB24 8QB
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 20:15   #8
Donmac

Hi

If you go North(ish) into Norfolk there is Wrights Volvo in Attleborough:-

https://www.volvoatwrights.co.uk/

Well located for the local railway station and trains to Cambridge

Equally if you go South to Essex on the M11 to Harlow there is The Riverway Workshop

http://www.riverwayworkshop.co.uk/

Not quite so convenient for the local railway station but, there's trains every 30 minutes to Cambridge.

I've used both and have no problem in recommending both - except if you have a 98 - 05 C70 that needs new front door window regulators in which case I found Bob in Harlow was more up for the expensive and fiddly job.

Hope this helps !