Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch

Views : 510

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 21:48   #1

Default Ignition Switch

Hi ,

I have an issue with my 1800s 69 model

Has anyone come across this

I have 2 issues

1. Vehicle will not start
2. Ignition is live without key operation

(Ignition is live) ignition light active and fuel gauge is displaying tank reading with ignition key in position 2 / or with key removed.

I have checked ignition switch wiring , and have the following

Terminal 30 ( brown wire / 12 volts when turning the ign key to accessory / radio position.

Terminal 54 ( white wire / 12 volts from switch to ignition / charging light on dash and from fuse box supply to ignition switch.

Terminal 50 ( red and white wire / no supply voltage from switch when moving ign key to starting / cranking position 4.

If I provide a voltage from the red and white at the switch to the starter solenoid the starter will turn , but engine will not start.

The ignition key turns without any issues , and I can select all positions.

All functions on the car work without issue , lights , indicators etc etc .

If I remove the yellow and brown wire from the alternator charge relay the ignition light will go out ?? , or of course disconnect the battery.

Thanks
Phil
1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 13:29   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

1. Was everything working correctly before this problem occurred?
2. Was it sudden?
3. What work were you doing on the car immediately before you had the problem.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 15:19   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Phil;

[Welcome to this forum!

I/we can try to help, but I see inadequate/conflicting/mixed info in your posting which doesn't help and needs to be be cleared...]

I have an issue with my 1800s 69 model

Has anyone come across this

I have 2 issues

1. Vehicle will not start [...of course!...everyone has experienced a non-starting vehicle, but we need a lot more and specific info...! Do you have fuel?...did it start fine yesterday, or an hour ago, nothing has been changed from factory stock, or was it just hit by a meteor, and involved in an engine-fire?]
2. Ignition is live without key operation [...presumably you say that because you see the AMP Indicator is ON when Ign Key is turned to the Ign ON Position 3, or did you test further for Spark?]

(Ignition is live) ignition light [...we'll call it the AMP Indicator...it indicates status of the Charging Sys...there is no indicator on the Ign Sys!] active and fuel gauge is displaying tank reading with ignition key in position 2 / or with key removed. [...are you certain? Pos 2 is OFF, Key insert Pos!?!...see diagram below!]

I have checked ignition switch wiring , and have the following

Terminal 30 ( brown wire / 12 volts when turning the ign key to accessory / radio position. [Term 30 is Batt power...it should have power continuously, when a charged Batt is installed!...not just when Key is in Ign On Pos 3, or 1!]

Terminal 54 ( white wire / 12 volts from switch to ignition / charging light on dash and from fuse box supply to ignition switch. [Term 54 is Ign Power, it should have power when Key is in Pos 3 or 1]

Terminal 50 ( red and white wire / no supply voltage from switch when moving ign key to starting / cranking position 4. [Term 50 is Sol power, and should get power when turning Key to Pos 4!]
[From the wire color codes, I know this is an early, dashboard located Ign Sw...in that case, Key Pos 2 is the Off Pos, in which Key can be inserted and removed, so I wouldn't expect Ign to be powered at that time...Key positions, with Term power diagram:

[Verify also that Ign Sw is locate in Dashboard and not Steering Column (this would make this a very rare configuration requiring special troubleshooting considerations!)]

If I provide a voltage from the red and white at the switch to the starter solenoid the starter will turn , but engine will not start. [As expected, but no start...suggests fuel or Ign issue!]

The ignition key turns without any issues , and I can select all positions. [OK!]

All functions on the car work without issue , lights , indicators etc etc . [OK, but actual Ign circuit is a separate circuit which must be functioning for a successful Start. (...and with Dashboard located Ign Sw, the actual Ign circuit is somewhat inaccessible, due to armored cable tying together Ign Sw and Ign Coil!) ]

If I remove the yellow and brown wire from the alternator charge relay the ignition light will go out ??[This is expected!, and it is standard practice to refer to multiple colored wires by their main color first, and thin tracer color second. Removing Brn/Yel wire from VReg/Chg Control removes power from AMP Ind, so no surprise there!], or of course disconnect the battery. [Wire color codes you state are those of the early Generator(Dynamo) based Chg Sys, (Ref: https://www.sw-em.com/1800_Wiring_Di..._No_10000+.jpg ], not Alternator, there is a significant difference!...you need to confirm your configuration, give specifics, in standard terminology, and if anything has been added, changed, or "worked on" before I can give applicable and more helpful troubleshooting help.]

...a bit much, and don't take my picking apart your info wrong, but I need correct, specific and concise info with which to help...!

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote