Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 2.4 S80 automatic gearbox service.

Views : 1182

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 23:34   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Mine thumps in to reverse, but it does engage straight away, so here's a thought, when I accidentally put engine oil in mine and after a flush with the correct oil, ie a bit mixed with engine oil, when I drove it a couple of miles to get it mixed in so I could flush again, it was like yours, but not as long, it took maybe 5 seconds to engage, so with that in mind, are you 100% sure it has the correct oil in it?

I've looked into a valve body, you can get them cheap on ebay, new from China, as for fitting, I think the job is too involved for me, plus it may need to be programmed in, can't remember now, I think ya looking at about a grand old all in, or was it 1500,damn,my memory is bad. The other option is to replace the solenoids, that's quite a bit cheaper, even more so if its just one playing up, again, too involved for me, I would have to get a pro on the case.

To be honest, I think my top mount maybe contributing to the thump......
I'd also check your gearbox mount too. Any play in that & the transmission can effectively clunk into place when you select a gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzCKGAu6iTA

This video will show you what's involved. Note, the play that's in the mount.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 00:07   #12
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

if its shagged, its better to find out on your driveway after doing a flush / near to home on the shakedown - than it is to leave it and it breaks down on a road trip
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 01:18   #13
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Ben E:
1) Do you turn any wrenches yourself?

2) 24mm wrench for the drain plug. E-Z access.
3) 18mm crush washer (yes, people flatten 'em and reuse 'em)
4) Get 4 litres of a 3309 spec fluid/ I suggest a foreign car parts place. Just get 4 litres and an aluminum gasket.
Aisin markets it's own 3309 fluid (Aisin made your transmission)
5) After checking your fluid's level, measure what you drain and replace with the same amount.
Now you can broadly assess the condition of your fluid.
If it's brown, jet black and horrid you can plan additional drain and fills or a pump out.

If ever you get the fluid reasonably clean consider adding a 10 oz. bottle of LubeGard (red) to your transmission. The stuff works wonders and is what the pros use.

If this list has your head spinning and reaching for the brandy, doing this is not for you. If I was near Bristol I'd pop over and show you.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 02:07   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I'd also check your gearbox mount too. Any play in that & the transmission can effectively clunk into place when you select a gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzCKGAu6iTA

This video will show you what's involved. Note, the play that's in the mount.
Thanks for that, already put a new one on and still get the wee thump into reverse, what about the very top/rear mount (not vacuum) This one below, also, what is that silver box attached to the back section of the mounting please, theres no cables to it at all

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sB_-t-VxU[/YOUTUBE]
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 16:28   #15
Willow place

Yeh , Mannol 3309 full 20 litres , nice colour , the extra cooler make things better , but hitting middle 50c plus most days ! It is strange though, I know when reverse is engaged as I can feel the steering wheel slightly kick !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 22:31   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Thanks for that, already put a new one on and still get the wee thump into reverse, what about the very top/rear mount (not vacuum) This one below, also, what is that silver box attached to the back section of the mounting please, theres no cables to it at all

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sB_-t-VxU[/YOUTUBE]
The part shown in the link isn't a particularly expensive part, probably £40-£50 for a genuine Volvo one. Its known as an "Upper torque rod" or "Upper torque mount". I don't know what the silver box is... A wild guess would be some kind of weight, but I'm not sure.

A good way to test the upper torque mount is to visually inspect it. Check that there's no cracks in the rubber bushing & that the rubber itself is actually attached to the metal piece of the part. Sometimes, the rubber perishes & can actually detach from the metal frame of the part. If this happens, the mount is then useless & isn't actually doing anything.

You could also get someone to put the car into gears whilst stationary with the bonnet up & you could visually look at the upper mount whilst someone does that (To check if there's any excessive movement) whilst gears are engaged. There's supposed to be some play in the upper torque mount, as its not designed to be a totally solid/fixed bushing - Don't be alarmed if you see slight movement when the gears are engaged. You shouldn't be able to move the bushing too far by hand either. So if its bad, you'll literally be able to move it with light force by hand.

If you see excessive play, cracks or a detached bushing, then it needs to be changed. Watch the video linked below, around 50 seconds in & it shows you what you need to look for. Your car may have a different mount, but checking for cracks etc is essentially the same process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnDxGLkyOE

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 10th, 2020 at 22:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 01:12   #17
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Yeh , Mannol 3309 full 20 litres , nice colour , the extra cooler make things better , but hitting middle 50c plus most days ! It is strange though, I know when reverse is engaged as I can feel the steering wheel slightly kick !
I have been thinking prior to you mentioning it starting to be an issue again, I was wondering if your extra cooler could possibly be nearly as bad as putting in an incorrect fluid, if you think about it, the fluid is designed to work optimally once the temp in the box reaches >50C, now, prior to your 50C external temp days, does that mean that your fluid has not actually been reaching the optimal temp, therefore actually being thicker in the box hence no banging/thumping? The issues only coming to light once the box reaches / > the optimal temp. Was just sommat that occured to me the other day and i forgot about it til just now, i could be way off the mark, i dont know diddly lol
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 01:32   #18
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
The part shown in the link isn't a particularly expensive part, probably £40-£50 for a genuine Volvo one. Its known as an "Upper torque rod" or "Upper torque mount". I don't know what the silver box is... A wild guess would be some kind of weight, but I'm not sure.

A good way to test the upper torque mount is to visually inspect it. Check that there's no cracks in the rubber bushing & that the rubber itself is actually attached to the metal piece of the part. Sometimes, the rubber perishes & can actually detach from the metal frame of the part. If this happens, the mount is then useless & isn't actually doing anything.

You could also get someone to put the car into gears whilst stationary with the bonnet up & you could visually look at the upper mount whilst someone does that (To check if there's any excessive movement) whilst gears are engaged. There's supposed to be some play in the upper torque mount, as its not designed to be a totally solid/fixed bushing - Don't be alarmed if you see slight movement when the gears are engaged. You shouldn't be able to move the bushing too far by hand either. So if its bad, you'll literally be able to move it with light force by hand.

If you see excessive play, cracks or a detached bushing, then it needs to be changed. Watch the video linked below, around 50 seconds in & it shows you what you need to look for. Your car may have a different mount, but checking for cracks etc is essentially the same process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnDxGLkyOE
Hi, yeah, about £45-80+ for the genuine part on the bay

I have inspected the best i can, its not easy with it being at the back/top of the engine and the mount that the rubber is in, also the actual sides of the rubber are hidden by the side plates as seen here

As you can see, its hard to see in there..

I have been thinking about these, thoughts?

I really do think that its more lose than it should be, but that could be just me not having anything to compare with, BUT, when i was checking the injector the other day and revving the car, when i got back round the front as the revs were dropping back off, i noticed that the whole mounting jumping up and down like it was on a pogo stick, pitching a fit. Does that sound normal? I can try to grab a video, but i have a feeling i am going to have to remove it to inspect it properly at the very least, remove the bolting, I did try the other day and failed but the way i tried was wrong, i tried to undo the top bolts on the support brace, evidently you undo those 2 from underneath using the top bolt as a stopper

Last edited by Bashy; Jul 11th, 2020 at 01:36.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 10:40   #19
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
whats hitting 50c, your location or the gearbox?

50c is below the operating temp of the gearbox (70c)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 15:14   #20
Willow place

50C plus is outside temperature, I have had this problem not long after I bought the car, the fluid was Dark Brown All changed and Bright Red now , when the engine is Cold or only driven a few kilometres it is ok, after a 35 minute drive and I need reverse I have to wait and once a feel the kick back on the steering wheel I know it will be a smooth take up , it does Slip though if in a rut !!! Trying to reverse up the drive takes a fair amount of Revs! Once I installed the extra cooler the 'box did improve but slowly going back to its old ways, the temperature at the extra cooler is around 65c (with a Lidl's infra red meter) The car has done around 185,000 miles . Thanks for all replies .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote