Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Turbo Fitted now permanent limp mode

Views : 8198

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 15:41   #21
webbyd5
WebbyD5

It's gone from ok to bad again, I nipped out at lunch took my time no booting it picked up lunch back to work sat eating my luck next minute rough running and "drive slowly service urgent" message appears. I have really had it wth this car now can someone please help!!!
webbyd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 19:34   #22
djneils98

have you checked to see if the in-tank fuel pump is working?
you should be able to hear it (faintly so listen in a very quiet environment) for about 20 secs priming when you turn the ignition on. It's under the rear seats.
Mine went and I got that code
- if it is the in-tank pump your car will go into limp mode more often when the fuel gets lower and also when going up a hill.
djneils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djneils98 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 20:42   #23
Horton

Had a read of your post... I think you need to revisit that second hand turbo... These engines are notorious for the VNT turbo coking up, it's really common, and a secondhand turbo off a breaker is just going to be more of the same. Do yourself a favour, take the turbo off and send it to a decent reconditioner like turbo technics in Northampton...they offer a check and clean service and can diagnose and repair a dodgy turbo. It's not that dear, usually the same price as a good used one!
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 21:10   #24
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
it's a chicken and egg thing. The overboost splits the pipe *and* opens the wastegate - the pipe is a symptom not a cause.
I doubt the overboost is the cause of a split pipe the intercooler is the weaker link ,but if you take speedbumps to fast a hard bang will split the pipe because the pipe is under the crankcase
Also the rubber seal of the silencer in the boostpipe and the rubber seal of the pipe with the turbo can swell and tear (had this myself).
Take some clamps and a bicycle pump and some hard cans to block off the boos section in parts to pinpoint the leakage.
And be glad the engine goes in limpmode if it didnt the turbo will be blown up due to overspeeding if air gushes out
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 21:36   #25
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Get the codes read properly and go from there. All this guessing just wastes time.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 22:53   #26
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Hi guys, I managed to get the old girl limping again. The code reader mentioned on earlier post is due tomorrow. Will try and post live data up and see what you think... cheers 👍
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 19:40   #27
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Hello guys,
OBD2 reader came today, live data from torque app shows the following whilst engine is idling:
MAP 100kpa
MAF 13.4 g/s

The code reader had the same engine boost pressure controller faulty which was the same as before. It turned out the drive slowly message had come on due to an injector plug hanging out....

Any help would be much appreciated,
Dave

Last edited by webbyd5; Mar 11th, 2016 at 19:43.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 19:44   #28
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

You need to look at desired vs actual values whilst driving really.

What fault codes is it giving now?
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 20:12   #29
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Em6805 again there were a few others on there due to the injector unplug issue, but that's all I can get to come up now. On the torque app it says turbo/waste gate solenoid fault.

On a side note both yesterday and this morning, the car drove spot on in my 15 mile journey to work and even when I went to 3-4000 revs the car didn't throw a fault up and the turbo was working and boosting 100%. After work I came our started it up into instant limp mode?
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 20:15   #30
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Also pardon my ignorance as this is all education for me Martin, desired vs actual? Is that what it supposed to be to what it is running at?
The Following User Says Thank You to webbyd5 For This Useful Post: