Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Radio ICM Module

Views : 1204

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2019, 17:48   #1
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

Default XC90 Radio ICM Module

Question 1 - are they all the same and can be swapped out?

Mine finally failed after 15 years of rock-solid performance Thankfully I had a spare ICM that I bought on eBay many years back so I thought I would try it and give it a swap. Sadly it also looks DOA. I'm guessing its an ICM repair service now, is the volvodiagnostic.com the best route.

Question 2 - Minidisc Install
Now that I know how simple it is to get the console out and unplug I would still really like to go retro and install a minidisc unit. I posted a question ages back and SwissXC90 mentioned its an easy hard swap but would require a software update. So is there a simple solution for this?

Question 3 - CD Player Fault
For the last 5 years buttons 2 and 4 on the CD player haven't worked, would this be fixed via an ICM repair or it the CD module that's at fault

as always, many thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 19:01   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi
My experience is that Volvo diagnostics is certainly the best route. Mine was sorted 100%.

Re the mini disc, Swiss probably knows best, but point two and three, you could speak to lucasz at Volvo diagnostics but probably on item 3, the switch buttons are faulty, do they work selecting channels on the radio?

Cheers John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 21:58   #3
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

thanks, no the buttons don't work on the radio either.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 23:18   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, usually lucasz changes the whole unit so will correct 1 & 3 as a matter of course, but maybe not the mini disk. Mine has never worked, but so what.. this (I believe, like the cd multiplayer, are discrete units).

So my view is Volvo diagnostics best bet and happy new year!

I am sure you will not be disappointed but please report back.

John l
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:54   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipjackUK View Post
thanks, no the buttons don't work on the radio either.
Then the buttons are faulty
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 20:23   #6
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

First drive today since I swapped it out and after 15 minutes it's springs to life again. This was has updated software on it compared to my 2003 model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200102_194512.jpg (132.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200102_194504.jpg (198.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200102_194531.jpg (132.1 KB, 24 views)
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 17:05   #7
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

it still working however, I've noticed this version of ICM doesn't illuminate the buttons

is it a cable connection on the ICM board ribbon connector (it was disconnected on this replacement and was a bid fiddly to reseat, so I might not have it perfect) or is there a separate bulb for it.

the replacement was part I bought on eBay years back and may have been sold as faulty, really can't recall but I got it for £15 so happy with it for that price
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 11:03   #8
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

went out today and it didn't come on at all
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 14:03   #9
john langrick
Master Member

Sounds intermittent, mine was just like that. I assume you changed the complete fascia too, do the button switches now work (when ICM is working)?

I guess Volvo diagnostics next route, but you could check the MOST bus. This s fibre optic connection that interfaces (if you have them) sat nav, phone, park sensors, sub woofer and amp etc. If there is a break in the fibre optic loop, it will show similar symptoms. The loop looks like two thick orange wires and should never be kinked.

However, I know from experience the ICM is subject a lot of heat and to dry joints That is where Volvo diagnostics come in. Note they give lifetime warranty with their repair... This is why I recommend this route. Hopefully you can then just forget about it.

John l
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 14:04   #10
john langrick
Master Member

Sounds intermittent, mine was just like that. I assume you changed the complete fascia too, do the button switches now work (when ICM is working)?

I guess Volvo diagnostics next route, but you could check the MOST bus. This s fibre optic connection that interfaces (if you have them) sat nav, phone, park sensors, sub woofer and amp etc. If there is a break in the fibre optic loop, it will show similar symptoms. The loop looks like two thick orange wires and should never be kinked.

However, I know from experience the ICM is subject a log of heat and to dry joints That is where Volvo diagnostics come in. Note they give lifetime warranty with their repair... This is why I and others recommend this route. Hopefully you can then just forget about it.

John l