Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new volvo owner

Views : 639

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 13:18   #1
sebco

Default new volvo owner

Hi everyone, i have just bought my first Volvo, a 2007 (jan so prob a 2006 MY) C70 SE T5. it was a bargain i think but obviously has one or two little problems. Mechanically it seems fine new MOT no advisories,good strong engine and nice gear change roof works great body work excellent for its age and mileage 163k but even though its only going to be a sunny day car obviously i would like to work through the bad bits. all electrical it seems. first up while you can hear the vents moving very little air if any comes out, is this anything to do with the aircon needing re-gassing, i know some cars shut down the system when they need gas. Thanks in advance.

Nigel.
sebco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 08:38   #2
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi Nigel and welcome mate.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 08:45   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Hi, welcome. I think that the AC may be rather more than a re-gas, as I don't think there's a function which works as you indicate on Volvos.

Any good?
https://youtu.be/QWGuxbGQE0M

BTW is yours the sub-£2k one that was on Autotrader for a little while?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 09:06   #4
pinballdave

Yours might be a 2007 MY, mine's on a '56 plate, but comes up on VIDA as a 2007 model.

If you're getting no air out of the vents, then probably the fan blower motor. If you turn the fan control up to max and you should be able to hear the motor running. Check the fuses first, but the motor itself contains an electronic control module, and the transistors in this module are known to go bad. It's not a quick job to replace, took me a whole weekend to do it!
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 19:05   #5
sebco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Hi, welcome. I think that the AC may be rather more than a re-gas, as I don't think there's a function which works as you indicate on Volvos.

Any good?
https://youtu.be/QWGuxbGQE0M

BTW is yours the sub-£2k one that was on Autotrader for a little while?
Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry to take so long to get back to you, yes i think we are talking about the same car, i got it cheap so don't mind spending a bit on it, i drive it every chance i get and i'm really enjoying it but must admit with the roof up its just an old car but then i i have to admit to be being spoilt my every day cars are always new. Did you have a look at it, i would be interested to get your thoughts from someone that knows volvos won't be offended honest. thanks again. Nige.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 19:08   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

IIRC it popped up just as I'd bought mine whilst I was still getting alerts, so no I haven't seen it in the flesh.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 19:09   #7
sebco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
Yours might be a 2007 MY, mine's on a '56 plate, but comes up on VIDA as a 2007 model.

If you're getting no air out of the vents, then probably the fan blower motor. If you turn the fan control up to max and you should be able to hear the motor running. Check the fuses first, but the motor itself contains an electronic control module, and the transistors in this module are known to go bad. It's not a quick job to replace, took me a whole weekend to do it!
Hi sorry for the slow reply, i used the car a week or two ago after it had been baking in the sun all day and as soon as i turned on the ignition the fan started blowing really hard and continued for ages even with roof down but not cold so certainly needs gas i think but it was obviously trying. it hasn't done it again since though. thanks again. Nige.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 19:12   #8
sebco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
IIRC it popped up just as I'd bought mine whilst I was still getting alerts, so no I haven't seen it in the flesh.
Ah shame, i had to put new tyres on it, i took it in to get the tracking done as was tram lining terrible, apart from having the wrong size for the car the fronts weren't round anymore but drives nice now. i can see why it was sub 2k though.

Tags
c70 2007