Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Questions about the XC60 powered tailgate.

Views : 2223

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 16:46   #1
Daleman
Master Member

Default Questions about the XC60 powered tailgate.

Does the powered tailgate on the XC60 stand a chance of accidentally being opened say in the garage at home and if so does it power on up or stop if it meets a resistance?

If it opened in my garage (say if I pressed the remote by mistake) it would cause major problems as it’s a tight fit for the XC60 height wise on my up and over door?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 17:01   #2
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Does the powered tailgate on the XC60 stand a chance of accidentally being opened say in the garage at home and if so does it power on up or stop if it meets a resistance?

If it opened in my garage (say if I pressed the remote by mistake) it would cause major problems as it’s a tight fit for the XC60 height wise on my up and over door?
According the manual which I'm currently reading it stops if it meets resistance, how much resistance is another question.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 17:45   #3
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Mine opened for some completely random reason in the garage (when Mrs was driving the car in), I now have a slightly scuffed wiper arm, so I think it may need a fair bit of resistance before it stops. This incident came a day or two after the tailgate failed to close when pressing the button, it stopped/stalled, then needed a firm hand push to close. Put this down to a gremlin, not been repeated since, but something to be wary of.
higthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to higthepig For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 20:30   #4
UKDave

It would be difficult to open by accident, you need to hold the button on the dash and the keyfob down for about 4 seconds for it to begin. Also, if you want it to stop, just press the button again.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 20:59   #5
mpainesyd

Default Power tailgate - can limit stops be changed?

Related to the issue of limited height in a garage is whether it is possible to change the limit stops on the powered tailgate to prevent it from opening all of the way. I guess a service manual is needed to determine this and I don't have access to one.
mpainesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 21:22   #6
birger

My 2012 (perhaps also the '11?) can be programmed to stop at a specified height. My previos 2010 could not do this. I am curious if the programming is forgotten after a computer reset at the shop. All other settings seems to be reset after service, so I will check this carefully after the first service.

Just in case the programming for some reason is reset , I have tied some clothing in the garage ceiling at the right spot
birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 21:46   #7
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birger View Post
My 2012 (perhaps also the '11?) can be programmed to stop at a specified height. My previos 2010 could not do this. I am curious if the programming is forgotten after a computer reset at the shop. All other settings seems to be reset after service, so I will check this carefully after the first service.

Just in case the programming for some reason is reset , I have tied some clothing in the garage ceiling at the right spot
That's useful to know. Can you vary the speed as well?
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 21:51   #8
Ransman
Master Member

Poor internet connection - posted twice

Last edited by Ransman; Nov 17th, 2011 at 21:54.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 21:51   #9
birger

I don't think the speed can be adjusted. in my old '10, I could click the button and then go out and stop the gate before it hit the roof. In the '12, the tail gate is quicker so it is good that it's programable.
birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 22:01   #10
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birger View Post
I don't think the speed can be adjusted. in my old '10, I could click the button and then go out and stop the gate before it hit the roof. In the '12, the tail gate is quicker so it is good that it's programable.
The current speed is good for me as I get the wheelchair out of the boot, sit in it, then hit the button with one of the crutches. I have plenty of time to throw the crutch in as it is closing. I would be a bit concerned if it closes much quicker.