Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 R-Sport in the Devon lanes

Views : 2176

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 02:50   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default 360 R-Sport in the Devon lanes

I'm (obviously) babying it until about 25s in. From memory, that wasn't WOT...not that it makes a notable difference!

http://www.foggyjames.co.uk/inbox/360rs.wmv

Turn it up...and enjoy :)

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 21:53   #2
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: 360 R-Sport in the Devon lanes

Bit of a dodgy place to be doing that mate, in all honesty, couldn't have picked a worse spot to be honest. Very dangerous.

I've crawled down lanes like that in the HGV to get to some "scenic location hotels" , believe me you dont want to come along there and meet it coming the other way.

Plus, if you had used a better road we could have seen it opened up properly.

Ross
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 22:04   #3
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Ah, but Foggy is one of those rare types of car driver that uses his powers of observation and thus would spot an HGV coming above the hedges. Equally, the HGV driver would also use his higher vantage point and be able to spot Foggy coming.

Actually, that's a load of crap - you can't see f@ck all down those Devon lanes...............

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:35   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Ross,

I'm confused here...I can't see what you mean. Maybe you can't tell from that video, but at the points at which I opened it up, I could typically see 2-300 yards ahead. The 360's brakes aren't *that* bad :) In addition, the camera was mounted at chest height, and slightly to the nearside of centre - giving a poorer view than I got. When the range of vision was poor (at the start), I was down in 1st gear doing 10-15 mph. I filmed 25 minutes of footage on lanes like that, of which that is the fastest section. My choice of location was actually for a load of Americans, who were taking the **** out of a B-road, so I showed them a properly small road! Living with these lanes, you learn how to drive them safely.

The only piece of slightly dubious driving there is my marginally slow reaction spotting the Metro. To be totally honest, I was checking the camera was still pointing in the right direction, but before doing so I noted that I was travelling at an appropriate speed and in the right gear, on a reasonably straight section of road, and with a passing place. In other words, I was highly unlikely to hit anything in the second or so I was distracted. The end result...well see for yourself...I was around a second late coming off the (very light application of) power.

To be honest, I'm a little insulted that you've thought the worst of me there. On the second run through second (just before the end), note the delay while I made SURE it was clear after that semi-blind corner. Maybe the speeds aren't too clear on that video, but that would have been down to sub 20mph. Those aren't the actions of a wannabe rally driver...and I see enough of them around here!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:34   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I've watched the vid a few times over and in fairness to James I feel he was been very sensible with his driving. road positioning was good, he slowed well down for the bends with poor visability. We get average kno#heads going much faster and poor road positioning and they are not even armed with a video camera.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 18:52   #6
Grizlyadams
RWD FTW!!!

Great vid mate, i love the sounds from that car (is soooo much nicer in real life), james is probly the best younger driver ive seen in years (seen as im probly an old git now, i can say things like this lol).
See you soon mate
Griz
Grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 20:18   #7
Ross9
Master Member

No insult was intended james,

I've driven roads like that in the truck before, as V6 man says, you cant see #### all, even from a high vantage point, and IMO on some of those bends speed shoul dbe 5mph max, based on the view I get from the camera, as there will be almost nil time should something appear around a bend. I was driving down a similar road once in the HGV and even though I had slowed to 5mph approaching the bend slightly wide to allow for the ass end cutting in, and to aid my view ( side of truck approx 1 foot off of hedge) m a guy came roudn the corenr in a jeep doing about 15mph, went under the wing mirror, just missed the side of the van as I swerved in, ABS kicked in as the trucks wheels hit the non tarmaced section under the hedge, mirror bent in, side of truck crumbled the wall inside the hedge a bit as it skimmed it, and that was with a closing speed of no more than 20mph.

Dont worry I know what you mean about wanna be rally drivers and the like, as I said no offence was inteneded, bit IMO those lanes arent the place for any sort of acceleration, it wasn't supposed to come across as condescending, after all, its not like I am a saint on the road ;)

Rosss
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 15:51   #8
KeatV70D5SE

I'm afraid I agree with Ross. I appreciate that the camera had a different view to the driver but this is no place to be driving at any sort of speed.

It doesn't matter how good a driver you are. You only have to meet an idiot and that's all for you.

After about 31 seconds you pass a concealed field entrance that anything could've come out of. Not all agricultural machinary is taller than hedges (farmer on quad etc..). If the driver was sat to the right of the camera then he would've had a worse view than the camera.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 16:53   #9
bobcat
Premier Member

nice vid foggy,

cant see what all these fuddy duddies are moaning about. you were only opening up on the straights and slowing at all the right points plus holding the revs in each gear to minimise overall speed but give some good sounds for the vid, reckless would have been planting your foot and not letting go. every vehicle you meet was passed safely.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 17:11   #10
Ross9
Master Member

LOL, are you on drugs?

I think that is the first time I have ever been called a fuddy duddy. I am also probably one of the people on this forum least likely to fit the generally accepted definition of a "fuddy duddy", I have no problem with people driving fast on the roads, I do so myself regularly, but IMO there are better places for such things to be done and it was a bit dangerous, I tend to agree with James on most things and have no wish for him to take offence, just my personal opinion on the matter.

Ross