Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote start and heating question

Views : 6566

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 22:50   #31
Razer

This is how it works on my XC60. This morning the heated seat and rear window didnt come on as it was mild. Last week they came on most mornings.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:20   #32
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Yes I was wondering that, I'm going to go out and try this evening. But even if it wasn't cold enough, do the A symbols not still show? They weren't doing earlier, as if the auto function had been disabled.

:wq
Not sure, I have never notice the "A" symbols even before remote start, I will have to check in the morning (with my glasses on) all the symbols are far too small for me to see normally.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:29   #33
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer1955 View Post
Just had a software upgrade by my dealer on my First Edition. Now have remote start but hah humbug no PA2.
I think you have to request this, as there is a part number for this upgrade, there may be a charge for it.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:38   #34
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I think you have to request this, as there is a part number for this upgrade, there may be a charge for it.
As Lexman mentioned £119. No brainer, would get it done.

Last edited by neon; Nov 16th, 2016 at 23:40.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:06   #35
familymangreg
Premier Member

OK really pleased to have this function brought to the car, but believe it is either highly idiosyncratic or buggy, probably the latter!

Some testing: Note that I have 2 keys, both assigned to the same profile which isn't locked.

First opened the car and started the engine as normal. The car was registering 4c outside temperature and the heated seats and steering wheel both automatically came on with their moderate setting as I have them set to do under the climate settings. Next to the driver and passenger heated seat buttons, I could also see the 'A' symbol which indicates the auto function is enabled.

I then stopped the car, got out and locked it, walked out of range for the key (just in case it had any affect) and tried a remote start. The app on my iPhone wouldn't do it at first, insisting the car was 'in-use'. I quit and restarted the app and was then able to start the car remotely. I then got back into the running car. I noted at this point that opening the car had started to up the census screen, but each of the climate controls stated 'OFF' and no heated seats or steering wheel were showing as active, the blowers were on. I then put my foot on the break and turned the engine start knob, which then fully started Sensus, showing the temperatures as I'd last left them. However, the auto heated seats and wheel were still showing as in-active. Also, the head-up display was not visible in its usual place. I pressed my seat memory button which immediately revealed the head-up display in its normal position. I then switched the car off and immediately started it again, at which point the auto heated seats and wheel showed as both 'auto-active' and switch on their moderate setting.

I left the car for an hour and tried another remote start, this time leaving it running for a good 5-10 minutes before I got in. The cabin was most definitely warmed, and the drivers seat and steering wheel were also being heated, yet the display for heated seats and wheel was as above, suggesting they were both switched off. Again, the head-up display was not showing in the correct position either.

So, in conclusion after that ramble... Everything pretty mush works as expected, however there are what must be bugs sending the HUD out of place and not showing the correct setting for heated seats etc.. There may of course be other setting / issues, but I've only tested what I'm interested in, the climate heating the cabin and the heated seats and wheel coming on.

If anyone else suffers the same issues, I think the trick is to 'start' the already running engine when you get in, then switch it off and re-start it, which should set everything correctly.

My cars last software update was at it 3 month inspection in early-mid September. I could imagine that some of these issues related to remote start may have been tested in the build up to launch over the last month or so and corrected in more current software updates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:36   #36
aab203

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious to know what people do when finding these anomalies or bugs with the Sensus. A number of bugs have been found with particular steps to reproduce them. Does it go any further than the forum? Are people emailing Volvo UK with a bug report so it can (hopefully) be fed back to the development teams to resolve?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:43   #37
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Not sure, I have never notice the "A" symbols even before remote start, I will have to check in the morning (with my glasses on) all the symbols are far too small for me to see normally.
Tried out remote start again this morning and worked a treat with steering wheel and seat heater both working okay, lovely to get in and start driving with a nice warm steering wheel and seat, ambient temp was lower than yesterday so it must have been too mild to activate the heaters yesterday.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 17th, 2016 at 09:48.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 10:02   #38
Ctpurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
OK really pleased to have this function brought to the car, but believe it is either highly idiosyncratic or buggy, probably the latter!

Some testing: Note that I have 2 keys, both assigned to the same profile which isn't locked.

First opened the car and started the engine as normal. The car was registering 4c outside temperature and the heated seats and steering wheel both automatically came on with their moderate setting as I have them set to do under the climate settings. Next to the driver and passenger heated seat buttons, I could also see the 'A' symbol which indicates the auto function is enabled.

I then stopped the car, got out and locked it, walked out of range for the key (just in case it had any affect) and tried a remote start. The app on my iPhone wouldn't do it at first, insisting the car was 'in-use'. I quit and restarted the app and was then able to start the car remotely. I then got back into the running car. I noted at this point that opening the car had started to up the census screen, but each of the climate controls stated 'OFF' and no heated seats or steering wheel were showing as active, the blowers were on. I then put my foot on the break and turned the engine start knob, which then fully started Sensus, showing the temperatures as I'd last left them. However, the auto heated seats and wheel were still showing as in-active. Also, the head-up display was not visible in its usual place. I pressed my seat memory button which immediately revealed the head-up display in its normal position. I then switched the car off and immediately started it again, at which point the auto heated seats and wheel showed as both 'auto-active' and switch on their moderate setting.

I left the car for an hour and tried another remote start, this time leaving it running for a good 5-10 minutes before I got in. The cabin was most definitely warmed, and the drivers seat and steering wheel were also being heated, yet the display for heated seats and wheel was as above, suggesting they were both switched off. Again, the head-up display was not showing in the correct position either.

So, in conclusion after that ramble... Everything pretty mush works as expected, however there are what must be bugs sending the HUD out of place and not showing the correct setting for heated seats etc.. There may of course be other setting / issues, but I've only tested what I'm interested in, the climate heating the cabin and the heated seats and wheel coming on.

If anyone else suffers the same issues, I think the trick is to 'start' the already running engine when you get in, then switch it off and re-start it, which should set everything correctly.

My cars last software update was at it 3 month inspection in early-mid September. I could imagine that some of these issues related to remote start may have been tested in the build up to launch over the last month or so and corrected in more current software updates.

Interesting, I've not had the HUD issue again after the first time, so was hoping it was a one off. Everything worked perfectly this morning. Was thinking on the drive to the garage this morning how annoyed I would be if I'd purchased the auxiliary heater, which I cancelled at the last moment.....phew.
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse Inscription, Onyx Black, Charcoal Nappa, Dark Flame Birch Inlays, Dechromed, Dynamic Pack, Winter HUD Pack, Xenium Pack, BLIS Pack, Subwoofer, CarPlay, Privacy Glass, LED Running Boards
Ctpurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 10:29   #39
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctpurley View Post
Interesting, I've not had the HUD issue again after the first time, so was hoping it was a one off. Everything worked perfectly this morning. Was thinking on the drive to the garage this morning how annoyed I would be if I'd purchased the auxiliary heater, which I cancelled at the last moment.....phew.
Thanks for reminding me.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 10:43   #40
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Thanks for reminding me.
But I'm guessing the aux heater is better for economy? Also, I wonder which is better for the engine, aux heating and then cold start, or running for 5-10 minutes at idles?