Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just over a year ago.....

Views : 737

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2020, 13:19   #1
concrete

Default Just over a year ago.....

I was thinking I’d have to get rid of my 2004 XC 70 due to the coolant mysteriously disappearing. A year on and the problem hasn’t got any worse and I can usually get around a thousand miles before it’s needs topping up.

However the fuel gauge has thrown a wobbly and from what I’ve read on here it’s most likely one of the tank senders. Not really a problem, as my transit sender hasn’t worked properly for over a decade and I just fill it up every 300 miles, which is what I’ll do with the car.

At least it’s still going and I’ve done several 3-400 mile journeys in it with no problems. 👍
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 20:03   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post
I was thinking I’d have to get rid of my 2004 XC 70 due to the coolant mysteriously disappearing. A year on and the problem hasn’t got any worse and I can usually get around a thousand miles before it’s needs topping up.

However the fuel gauge has thrown a wobbly and from what I’ve read on here it’s most likely one of the tank senders. Not really a problem, as my transit sender hasn’t worked properly for over a decade and I just fill it up every 300 miles, which is what I’ll do with the car.

At least it’s still going and I’ve done several 3-400 mile journeys in it with no problems. 👍
Are you getting a sweet smell coming from your heater vents? I had a V50 that would lose water, turned out to be the heater matrix. I put K-Seal in and it was never an issue after.

TT
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 20:58   #3
concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Are you getting a sweet smell coming from your heater vents? I had a V50 that would lose water, turned out to be the heater matrix. I put K-Seal in and it was never an issue after.

TT
Not that I’ve noticed. It also builds up pressure in the system. When the water gets low, I take it for a drive from cold, with the lid off the expansion bottle and the heater on hot, but the fan on zero. This gets rid of the pressure and next day when it’s all cooled down, I top up to the correct level. If I’m sensible it’ll do a thousand miles before I need to do it again, if I drive it quite hard it’s half that. K-seal has been mentioned by several mechanic mates, but I’m loathe to put anything in there in case it buggers it right up. I only need it to last another couple of years and then I’ll get another vehicle, possibly my mate’s XC 60, which will be pristine, as he looks after his cars and doesn’t do too many miles now he’s retired.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 00:07   #4
Black dog

There is a few threads on here with us having the same issue, I've been running a 2004 s60d5 like this over 3 years
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 02:54   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

What about where the pipe goes into the rack? thats where mine is/was leaking from, not had to check it since putting in a bottle of p/s Lucas stop leak. I had a decent leak, i had to fill it up quite often and i could see it dripping off of the engine splash guard
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2020, 23:42   #6
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
What about where the pipe goes into the rack? thats where mine is/was leaking from, not had to check it since putting in a bottle of p/s Lucas stop leak. I had a decent leak, i had to fill it up quite often and i could see it dripping off of the engine splash guard
Doubt power steering additive in the rack will stop the engine coolant presurising
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 02:55   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Doubt power steering additive in the rack will stop the engine coolant presurising
For the love of all things holy not sure what happened there, ive either, posted on the wrong thread or, my brain had sharted at that particular moment in time

In my defence, i had just woke up
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 14:21   #8
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
For the love of all things holy not sure what happened there, ive either, posted on the wrong thread or, my brain had sharted at that particular moment in time

In my defence, i had just woke up
Ha ha it happens