Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 (2014) - dashcam hardwiring tips?

Views : 3135

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2019, 10:00   #1
FilipS1980

Post V60 (2014) - dashcam hardwiring tips?

Hi there,

I will be attempting installation of dual (front+back) dash cam this weekend on my V60 '14 plate and need some advice on the fuses I should use for constant and switched feeds.

The cam has the parking mode which kicks in after the ignition is off so it has 3 wires: constant fuse (BATT), switched fuse (ACC/ignition) and ground (the wires come with voltage monitor to prevent battery drain). The rear cam doesn't need separate power supply - only signal cable must be fed to the back.

I recently completed installation on my 2012 320D BMW and due to the abundance of Youtube videos and user information it was a breeze to identify correct fuses and piggy back the wires into them.

I've been scratching my head for the past few days trying to find WHICH FUSES ARE ALWAYS ON (constant) and which are ignition/accessory only so that I can wire them correctly. The manuals and fuse diagrams don't state whether a fuse is constant or switched - only say what amperage they are and what are their functions.

Has anyone got some experience with electrics on this model V60 2014 ('14 plate) and can recommend best fuses to go for, ideally in the passenger footwell?
The added complication for this install is that it should have 1 permanent source, and one ignition source, whereas many installs just come with either.

Many thanks!

Last edited by FilipS1980; Dec 18th, 2019 at 10:41.
FilipS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 20:20   #2
BowerPower

Did you get anywhere with this? Im going to do mine in the next few days. I was told about the feeds behind the elec sunroof switches which are switched i believe. I want more space as the camera i have has a operate batt/ACC switch for battery protection. Im aiming for passenger seat of the tunnel.

Will let you know how i get on.
BowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 20:33   #3
FilipS1980

I used multimeter to identify switched and constant fuses in the passenger footwell, I ran the cables just under the trimming, on top (not over) of airbag in the A pillar and then down behind weather seal, under the plastic trim, under the passenger airbag switch panel. Used one of the bare screws for ground. I haven't quite finished yet - the cameras both work fine with ignition, I must fiddle around with constant fuse as I ran out of 5amp ones it seems to be 10amp that is not supplying constant current when stationary. I'll update this thread again with more details after all is done and tested.
The Following User Says Thank You to FilipS1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:33   #4
afeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipS1980 View Post
Hi there,

Has anyone got some experience with electrics on this model V60 2014 ('14 plate) and can recommend best fuses to go for, ideally in the passenger footwell?
The added complication for this install is that it should have 1 permanent source, and one ignition source, whereas many installs just come with either.

Many thanks!
Easy peasy. When I did my 3rd brake F1 flasher I was also in the same situation. Had to find easy accessible break wires. Found out the B pillar was the easiest for that by checking the whole electrical wire diagram which can be found here This is for models from 2011 and up.
If you don't know or are uncertain, best to go to dealership with a print out and they will show you what you need for free. For me they even removed the B-pillar interior for free. I brought them some beer for their help.
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 20:41   #5
assettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipS1980 View Post
I used multimeter to identify switched and constant fuses in the passenger footwell, I ran the cables just under the trimming, on top (not over) of airbag in the A pillar and then down behind weather seal, under the plastic trim, under the passenger airbag switch panel. Used one of the bare screws for ground. I haven't quite finished yet - the cameras both work fine with ignition, I must fiddle around with constant fuse as I ran out of 5amp ones it seems to be 10amp that is not supplying constant current when stationary. I'll update this thread again with more details after all is done and tested.
Attempting to also hard wire dash can in a XC60 but cannot find a decent bare screw as negative terminal. Any help please
assettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 22:08   #6
Steve54hb

I piggybacked off an appropriate fuse in the drivers foot well and earthed to one of dash frame mounting screws. Used a serrated crimped ring on the earth wire, paint free using a screwdriver, tested with a multimeter and blobbed on Vaseline after, works fine.

XC60 SE, my2014, VEA D4, 181bhp, Manual, 67k
Steve54hb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve54hb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 22:12   #7
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by assettt View Post
Attempting to also hard wire dash can in a XC60 but cannot find a decent bare screw as negative terminal. Any help please
From a post of mine from July, albeit for a V60; Easy fitting; there is an easy to use earth point. Two T25 screws hold a trim panel in place under the glovebox, but they screw into plastic inserts. However, there are two 8mm head screws holding the glovebox to the dash cross bar. Metal to metal and one can be used for a good earth point. No need to remove the screw, it just needs slackening off.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:29   #8
assettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
From a post of mine from July, albeit for a V60; Easy fitting; there is an easy to use earth point. Two T25 screws hold a trim panel in place under the glovebox, but they screw into plastic inserts. However, there are two 8mm head screws holding the glovebox to the dash cross bar. Metal to metal and one can be used for a good earth point. No need to remove the screw, it just needs slackening off.
Thanks. Will get on it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:21   #9
FilipS1980

Default Working parking mode hardwiring for Viofo A129 dual cam

Hi there,

As promised I'm updating ya'll with some details on how I got mine working in both modes. This cam comes with parking mode that detects when camera switches between accessory (ignition only) power supply to constant (live all the time, without ignition).

With correct wiring it takes about 3 seconds to switch to parking mode after the ignition is switched off. The hardwire kit I got (link below) comes with cut-off function if the battery voltage slumps too low.

I used fuses from both Box A and Box B in passenger footwell.
Having spent some time with multimeter in awkward positions I identified fuse 14 in Box B as a non-critical source for switched/ignition and piggy backed off of it - this fuse is responsible for climate panel and optional motion detection. For constant supply I used fuse 29 from Box A - this one runs AWD control module - I don't have AWD only 2/4 so it should be fine.

For ground I used a screw underneath the plastic trim that goes from bottom of the A pillar to the floor (on the left hand side of the passenger airbag switch). Youtube video below shows how to find it, and how to run cables the way I did.

Fuse diagrams for 2011-2014 V60:
https://fuse-box.info/volvo/volvo-v6...nd-relays#2014

Helpful video on getting to the passenger footwell fuse boxes and finding ground - I used this video to run my cables alike:
https://youtu.be/0CpuQ8XmBhw

Camera on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hardwire kit on Amazon:

You may be in need of extra fuses for piggy-backing, I used those:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a set of 4x piggy back fuse taps:

PS. I couldn't fully put back the fuse box covers on. The taps protrude too high, but the covers can be reattached to satisfactory extent and hinged at least to one side so that they don't move or fall off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AETV34507318_2.jpg (101.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191230_151416.jpg (86.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191230_151427.jpg (90.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191230_151442.jpg (116.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by FilipS1980; Jan 3rd, 2020 at 10:27.
FilipS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FilipS1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 20:58   #10
assettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by assettt View Post
Thanks. Will get on it.
All done and works great. Piggy backed off fuse 21 in box A.

Tags
dash cam, electrics, fuse box, wiring