Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring symmetrical rear foglights

Views : 1812

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 21:38   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question Wiring symmetrical rear foglights

So like my S40, on my C70 there is only a foglight on one side despite there being the bulb holder for the foglight on the N/S..

I had a play around today and saw that on the circuit board for the N/S/R lights there's no piece of metal bridging to the bulb, so I assume the wiring to the socket is already in place for a foglight.. I tried bridging this as a test with some wire but it didn't work, probably because it wasn't a good connection.

Has anyone tried to wire a second rear foglight on a C70 and knows the best way to go about it?

I was thinking I'll need to find a N/S/R light circuit board from a LHD vehicle or is there a safe way to modify the existing circuit board?

Thanks.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:06   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I did it on my V70 by soldering a bridge across in the way you suggest, I would have thought it would be the same on yours.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:29   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
I did it on my V70 by soldering a bridge across in the way you suggest, I would have thought it would be the same on yours.
Cheers.

Was it as simple as fitting in a bridge and then putting the bulb in and it just worked?

What did you use for the bridge? I think in my example the bulb was wedging the wire and it wasn't making contact properly.

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:38   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Cheers.

Was it as simple as fitting in a bridge and then putting the bulb in and it just worked?

What did you use for the bridge? I think in my example the bulb was wedging the wire and it wasn't making contact properly.
It was with mine.

But use the same gauge wire as the rest of the cluster connections as the fog lamp bulb is comparatively high wattage. I also soldered mine in to make sure there was a proper bridge.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:02   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
It was with mine.

But use the same gauge wire as the rest of the cluster connections as the fog lamp bulb is comparatively high wattage. I also soldered mine in to make sure there was a proper bridge.
I have tri rated cable that I used to do the job on my S40. Looks a bit thicker than the original fog light wire, maybe 0.8mm vs 0.5mm. I'm curious to know how you kept the wire in contact with the bulb? When I tried doing it loosely the bulb pushed the wire out of the way, maybe it will form a good connection if its soldered on one side?

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:14   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Don't know about the C70 but on the V70 the options are either bridge the missing link or if one gets a right light holder there's a plastic pin sticking out of it that prevents it being put in the left, it's easy enough to cut that off with a stanley knife and swap it over.

edit : Second thought looking at the picture, is there a contact in the bottom of that bulb holder?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:48   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Cheers.

Yes, that simple.

I used wire???? Use decent guage wire and solder it, bodges won't work for long and it's easy enough.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 13:10   #8
Cookeh
Premier Member

For the dimwitted and possibly blind amongst us, what exactly are we bridging?
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 13:19   #9
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Don't know about the C70 but on the V70 the options are either bridge the missing link or if one gets a right light holder there's a plastic pin sticking out of it that prevents it being put in the left, it's easy enough to cut that off with a stanley knife and swap it over.

edit : Second thought looking at the picture, is there a contact in the bottom of that bulb holder?
Cheers. There's no contact, just a loose bit of wire I experimented with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Yes, that simple.

I used wire???? Use decent guage wire and solder it, bodges won't work for long and it's easy enough.
Alright ill give this a go and try soldering it then. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
If you look into the empty bulb holder you'll see there's no metal plate in there attaching to the metal plate outside of the bulb holder at the bottom, this is the missing connection that needs to be bridged. The other bulb holders have this metal plate running into the bulb holder bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 15:17   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Unfortunately the old threads on foglights have lost their photos, but if you want to try it take both rear light bulb holders out and do a comparison. The bulb holders are made of plastic with what looks like galvanised steel holders and contacts for the bulb stuck to them, on the drivers side there is a link to the fog light position which is missing on the passenger side.

From reviewing the old threads it seems that the C70 rear light bulb holders cannot be swapped from left to right as they have a definite shape which is a mirror image, it would expect it's still be possible if you put them next to each other to spot the difference in the metal parts.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:

Tags
c70, electrics, lights, wiring