Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

General advice needed please

Views : 769

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2023, 09:38   #1
xc90d5awd

Question General advice needed please

Hi all. I have an XC90 D5 AWD Executive, 60 plate, in dark blue. It’s done less than 55000 miles and is in pretty good condition.
I’m trying to sell it. It was my Dads car and he passed away earlier in the year. It’s recently had an RAC inspection and a number of things popped up which I wasn’t aware of which I’d like to get the opinions on from you guys who will clearly have a lot more knowledge than me. I’ve only driven it a handful of times and know very little about it.
So the inspection firstly mentioned that no evidence of a change of engine drive belt was found. I have 11 years of service records but cannot find a receipt to confirm this has been done.
Is this essential after 10 years and if so, what roughly would this cost to get done please?

Many thanks in advance.
xc90d5awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 12:14   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Yes it should be regarded as essential, any buyer will either be put off or chip you on the price for it to be done. If they fail - the engine is badly damaged.

To get it done you would probably be looking at £300 +/- £75

You might get some luck if you post in the "sales" section here, there are a few of us that like small projects like that?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 15:19   #3
xc90d5awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yes it should be regarded as essential, any buyer will either be put off or chip you on the price for it to be done. If they fail - the engine is badly damaged.

To get it done you would probably be looking at £300 +/- £75

You might get some luck if you post in the "sales" section here, there are a few of us that like small projects like that?
That’s great, many thanks for your reply.
Do you mean someone might be willing to do the work ?

Also, the power steering pump looks like it needs attention. Would you know if this is a major job? There’s “fluid residue staining” on the pump assembly. Steering is very heavy at low speeds only and I know the fluid tank and pipe have been replaced (suspected leak), and there’s definitely enough fluid in the tank.

Thanks again

Last edited by xc90d5awd; Jul 1st, 2023 at 16:16.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 00:08   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90d5awd View Post
That’s great, many thanks for your reply.
Do you mean someone might be willing to do the work ?

Also, the power steering pump looks like it needs attention. Would you know if this is a major job? There’s “fluid residue staining” on the pump assembly. Steering is very heavy at low speeds only and I know the fluid tank and pipe have been replaced (suspected leak), and there’s definitely enough fluid in the tank.

Thanks again
Yes there are a few people on here may be interested.

It’s common for the power steering pumps to “sweat” on these cars, so long as it’s not dripping fluid and/or ever requiring topping up, it’s usually fine and unlikely to get worse.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 08:06   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90d5awd View Post
Hi all. I have an XC90 D5 AWD Executive, 60 plate, in dark blue. It’s done less than 55000 miles and is in pretty good condition.
I’m trying to sell it. It was my Dads car and he passed away earlier in the year. It’s recently had an RAC inspection and a number of things popped up which I wasn’t aware of which I’d like to get the opinions on from you guys who will clearly have a lot more knowledge than me. I’ve only driven it a handful of times and know very little about it.
So the inspection firstly mentioned that no evidence of a change of engine drive belt was found. I have 11 years of service records but cannot find a receipt to confirm this has been done.
Is this essential after 10 years and if so, what roughly would this cost to get done please?

Many thanks in advance.

As stated, I would probably advertise it on here in this section below along with some good photographs of the car.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=173

The cambelt is something that many on here would not shy away from doing themselves and the mileage coupled with service history would make it an attractive proposition provided that is was priced realistically and took into account the cambelt replacement.
Probably far easier for you to dispose of the car that way than having the belts done yourself.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 09:37   #6
xc90d5awd

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Yes there are a few people on here may be interested.

It’s common for the power steering pumps to “sweat” on these cars, so long as it’s not dripping fluid and/or ever requiring topping up, it’s usually fine and unlikely to get worse.
This is reassuring thanks. Although I think I’d rather get it done as even I’ve noticed recently how stiff the steering is at low speeds. I only really manoeuvre it in and out of my drive and even that’s becoming awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
As stated, I would probably advertise it on here in this section below along with some good photographs of the car.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=173

The cambelt is something that many on here would not shy away from doing themselves and the mileage coupled with service history would make it an attractive proposition provided that is was priced realistically and took into account the cambelt replacement.
Probably far easier for you to dispose of the car that way than having the belts done yourself.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.👍
Really helpful, many thanks.

The RAC guy took a photo of a zip/cable tie holding the gear selector cable in place. I don’t know why it’s there or who would have done it. Is this something that’s a known workaround or should I be concerned about it? I’m happy to have it rectified I just dont know what should be there if the job had been done differently (properly?).

Old Jul 8th, 2023, 06:42   #7
xc90d5awd

Sorry to bump this, just wondered if anyone has any advice on the above throttle cable question please? Thank you
Old Aug 16th, 2023, 12:56   #8
xc90d5awd

Been given advice by two reliable mechanics that this was probably added simply to prevent vibration. The rubber part can apparently wear down and become noisy, therefor the zip tie was more than likely just to stabilise it and reduce any noise.
Old Yesterday, 06:31   #9
xc90d5awd

This is now SOLD

Thank you to everyone for their advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to xc90d5awd For This Useful Post: