Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 R - AWD Problem in SNOW!!!!!

Views : 9031

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 20:46   #1
dougsmith
Volvo S60 R

Default S60 R - AWD Problem in SNOW!!!!!

Hi Guys, after a lot of searching, i bought what i thought was a bullet proof S60 R (2004) flash green on 18's, 1 owner car full volvo service history (80k on clock), i also got it at what i thought was a bargain. Car came with full yrs MOT and 15 month warranty.

I flew to London for the car and spoke with the previous owner who confirmed it was a genuine car and he had had no major problems apart from transmission which was replaced under warranty. I drove it back 480 miles to Scotland with no difficulty apart from a slight vibration at 70mph (due to wheels needing balanced as they had just been refurbished). When i got it back i chanaged all the tyres to brand new bridgestone S001's 235 x 40 x 18 y speed rating and car was going fantastically including in the wet, complete grip and awd working like a dream. Woke up this morning to 2/3 inches of snow, thought i would take her out and try her, got her out garage and she just sat and spun front wheels and rears did nothing at all. Would harldy move on flat and went no where on the hill. So i retreated back into garage and my wife's mini clubman pulled away and up hill no problem at all!!!!

Guys do we have any suggestions?

Angle gear?
Sensor(s)?

The only thing i noticed was when i was pulling away i was getting a strange clicking coming from some where in the engine bay???

Thanks for all your help, i have had 14 Volvos, and the only problems i have ever had have been with my 850 T5R and now this S60 R!!!!!

Bring back my old 480 GT!!!!!

Last edited by dooby; Jan 12th, 2011 at 23:30.
dougsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 22:09   #2
Dream3r

Hi mate.

The AWD can be disabled by a logged error code in the DEM module or the angle gear and or sleeve failure.

My first stop would be a code read, then there is a simple test that can be performed to check if the angle gear is in operation I will try to dig it out.
Dream3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 22:30   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

The strange clicking noise could have been the traction control working .. the test for angle gear is to get under the car and turn the propshaft by hand , it should turn the front wheels , if it just spins freely you have angle gear problems .
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 22:35   #4
Dream3r

Here you go, this is off the Volvo database:

Test driving Active on Demand Coupling, manual gearbox

Warning! Observe all traffic regulations during the test drive.
Hint:
The test drive consists of two tests. The first test is at low engine speeds (RPM). The second is at higher engine speeds (RPM).
At low engine speeds (RPM), four wheel drive is normally disengaged. At high engine speeds, four wheel drive will be engaged. This will have a braking effect when the clutch is depressed and the accelerator pedal (AP) is released.
The stopping distance with four wheel drive engaged must be approximately half the distance of that when four wheel drive is disengaged.
The test drive
Drive the car in a circle at full lock (the smallest turning circle) at a speed of approximately 10 km/h. Press the clutch and release the accelerator pedal (AP). Let the car come to a standstill.
Note how long it took for the car to stop.
Repeat the test. Increase the engine speed to 3000-4000 rpm. Let the car come to a standstill.
The car will stop in half the distance it took to stop in the first test if the function is correct.
Drive the car while looking out for any faults in functions or noise from the rear suspension.
If there is a fault or noise, stop the test drive. Return to the workshops. Fault trace the symptoms.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 22:48   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

There are a few flaws there :
1 , the rear wheels are disengaged when braking ,
2, The rear wheels are engaged when the front wheels start to slip not at high speeds .
3, The circle test . the slow speed it says 10 kph the higher speed is 4000 rpm? surely the test should be at the same speed to be relavent?

Thats not genuine volvo information , it has an american ring about it... and too many strange statements ...
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 09:00   #6
Dream3r

It is genuine information, hopefully the attachment will attest to that.

I will put the crabby reply down to the late hour, if there are flaws they are flaws generated by Volvo themselves, after all every dealer in the world should have this same information.

I'm no expert, I am however quoting from the manufacturer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ViDA awd test.pdf (225.3 KB, 44 views)
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 09:16   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

it appears genuine , but Bizzare :-)
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 18:02   #8
swilliss

Default No rear-wheel drive in snow...

I tried driving in a few inches of snow this morning and immediately my front wheels began spinning. Rear wheels just sat there. I also heard the traction control clicking on and off (I assume). I am not showing a code fault ("Check engine" light), so I didn't think about a fault. I thought there was always supposed to be power to the rear-wheels on these cars? What kind of performance is this car supposed to exhibit in snow? Should all 4 tires be expected to pull at the same time or am I missing something?

Thx

By the way - mine is a 2006 S60R

Last edited by swilliss; Jan 10th, 2011 at 18:05. Reason: added car model year
swilliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 18:19   #9
st5ve
S60 R

If you speak to your main dealer about this they will be able to give you some advice, I have always found MRG to be very informative and helpful. If you can get all wheels off the floor via a lift they should all turn when in gear, best to have this done by a garage that know what they are doing.

It does sound like the awd has an issue best contact Volvo
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 21:49   #10
icooney
S60 T6 R-Design P*

I have an R, the clicking is definitely you traction control, 2nd as i understand it you wont get the 4wd working under a certain speed therefor you have a fwd car up to that speed - snow or not, I tend not to drive mine in the crappy weather!! also don't get scarred by all the stuff put up on these forums about angle gear and it being a money pit, if you are genuinely not sure take it to someone like MRG/HLM or similar who know these models - possibly better than a dealer!!

S60R - MTE, 3" cust ex't, ITG, Aquamist + DDS3, Evolve springs, cust 3" CAI, Greddy Infro touch, Blitz Boost guage+Cust POD, QBM Strut, EST disks, EBC Yellow, SuperBlue fluid, '08 rear light conversion-tinted, IMIV, 12" Alpine sub+Amp, Parrot MKi9200
icooney is offline   Reply With Quote