Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale: Volvo 2.4d\d5 timing belt additional protection

Views : 40089

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2016, 23:38   #71
tomasgrind

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
Sorry to hear this Tomas. Can you enlighten us why it happened on your car. Was the aux belt and tensioner changed at 54k mile intervals and did it have the latest mechanical tensioner? Was it ten tensioner that caused it or something else? Was there any noise or warning?
Hello. It was probably the wheel on the alternator that is supposed to compensate for vibrations. In norwegian it is called a freewheel. When the bearing inside the wheel is stuck, the extra vibrations on the belt will cause it to wear out very quickly, and will cause massive force on the tensioner and every parts involved. There where no noises or warning before it happened, and it took about 2 seconds. I do not know about the service on the belt and parts that involves because I have only own the car for 6 months. After som research on the subject, the freewheel on the alternator is the cause of most of these cases, but very few people are aware of that. Sorry for my bad English....☺
tomasgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 18:03   #72
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasgrind View Post
Hello
I am a owner of a 2008 S80 185hp D5 AWD. I have just had a aux belt break and it went into the timing belt.....very expensive.
I vould like to buy the protection kit from you. I do not have access to my car at the moment, but I will check if the kit will fit my car very soon. I live in Norway and I have a Paypal account.
Will fit your car, but I am not willing to send to Norway, as it would be way too expensive for you.
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 19:20   #73
tomasgrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element888 View Post
Will fit your car, but I am not willing to send to Norway, as it would be way too expensive for you.
I am willing to pay the costs for shipping and tax. The repair on my engine is approximately 4800gbp.... please help me to secure that this won't happen again. The other option is to sell the car....
tomasgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 11:35   #74
Element888

Arrow

Not taking any orders till 1st of September. Thanks
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 03:45   #75
Moen

Are you still selling these? /Johan
Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 10:53   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen View Post
Are you still selling these? /Johan
You are far better off putting that money towards just changing the belt and wheels at the correct interval or changing it now to be safe , as far as i gather this device has not been tested ? anyone confirm? What would you do if the device did not work when you wanted it to? There are massive forces involved when the Aux belt lets go and tangles with the cam belt .
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 11:53   #77
Robert2
VOC Member

I have a 212bhp engine D5 in an XC70, built 2012. Does it mean that I don't need one?
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 11:59   #78
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2 View Post
I have a 212bhp engine D5 in an XC70, built 2012. Does it mean that I don't need one?
You should not need one if the Aux.belt is changed every 54000 miles,
and the cambelt , roller and tensioner , aux belt and tensioner are changed every 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ,
And the various recalls for the aux belt and tensioner are up to date ...
and finally investigate any mechanical / rotating noises from the engine bay before they cause harm .
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 00:42   #79
sole27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You should not need one if the Aux.belt is changed every 54000 miles,
and the cambelt , roller and tensioner , aux belt and tensioner are changed every 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ,
And the various recalls for the aux belt and tensioner are up to date ...
and finally investigate any mechanical / rotating noises from the engine bay before they cause harm .
good advice, in my experience tensioners and belts don't just fail they get progressively worse over thousands of miles ,and they usually make a right racket for a long time before they fail.
sole27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 20:43   #80
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You are far better off putting that money towards just changing the belt and wheels at the correct interval or changing it now to be safe , as far as i gather this device has not been tested ? anyone confirm? What would you do if the device did not work when you wanted it to? There are massive forces involved when the Aux belt lets go and tangles with the cam belt .
Clan, could you please STOP posting on every post, how bad this device is, expensive, not tested, not confirmed, better off with new belts etc.
Gets really annoying!!
It's all been discussed before in this thread - you need new set of belts, tensioners, pulleys etc, but it WILL NOT save your engine from failing from my and others experience. It can FAIL without any obvious reasons. This kit is extra protection.
Why don't you come up with your inventions, solution or reason why it's failing..
CAN NOT? Then be quiet!

NO I AM NOT SELLING THEM ANYMORE, due to obvious reasons above.

Tags
2.4d engine, aux belt snapped, d5 engine, timing belt cover