Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 vs XC90 driver's headroom

Views : 1210

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2018, 15:51   #1
lupinIII

Default XC60 vs XC90 driver's headroom

Dear all,

I test drove the new XC60 and XC90 and I cannot make sense of the headroom space dimensions reported by Volvo.

I'm a tall guy (6.3 feet or 193 cm) and when I sit in the XC60, even with the driver's seat at its lowest position, the sun visor is right in front of my forefront. My eyes are basically at the same level as the end of the windshield. As a result, my visibility is quite constrained. Things are much better on the XC90. However, when looking at the interior dimension reported by Volvo, the actual difference should be only 1.4cm... I think part of the reason why the XC60 feels like that is because the seating position is closer to the windshield, or the windshield itself is more diagonal than the XC90, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone noticed this? Are you tall guys fine in your XC60? Is it just me?

Thanks!
lupinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 17:10   #2
Waggatron

I'm 6'5" and have never experienced any feeling of being visually constrained in either of my XC60's.

I sit with the seat at its lowest level and quite upright.... and my forehead is about 6" off the sun visor. I'm also looking through the top third of the windscreen.

I know I'm close to the sun visor as, once or twice over the eight years of ownership, the city safety system has bought the car to a sudden and complete stop and I've tw*tted my head against the sun visor....ouch!!

It's also no worse than any other car I've had or sat in....
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 18:15   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinIII View Post
Dear all,

I test drove the new XC60 and XC90 and I cannot make sense of the headroom space dimensions reported by Volvo.

I'm a tall guy (6.3 feet or 193 cm) and when I sit in the XC60, even with the driver's seat at its lowest position, the sun visor is right in front of my forefront. My eyes are basically at the same level as the end of the windshield. As a result, my visibility is quite constrained. Things are much better on the XC90. However, when looking at the interior dimension reported by Volvo, the actual difference should be only 1.4cm... I think part of the reason why the XC60 feels like that is because the seating position is closer to the windshield, or the windshield itself is more diagonal than the XC90, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone noticed this? Are you tall guys fine in your XC60? Is it just me?

Thanks!
The seat goes lower if you play about and adjust the tilt and move it back, in my XC90 I found just lowering does not move it to its lowest setting. I am sure it will be the same in the XC60.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 18:48   #4
lupinIII

Thank you very much for your replies. I guess I will give it one more test drive just to be sure, before deciding between XC60 and XC90.

What's weird is that I also have the impression that in the XC60 at the lowest position you are already seated very low with respect to the dashboard and the central tunnel. Definitely lower than in the XC90.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 19:29   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

I have zero experience of the new XC60 but I did want to buy a V90CC, until I sat in it. The standard V90 is far too low to the ground for me.

Unfortunately I found that the CC uses the same body shape as the standard V90 and the issue is the angle of the windscreen and A pillars. The A pillar slopes back at such an angle that, as you say, the top of the screen and visor comes very close to my head. Also the door top frame, including the A pillar, is too low to get my head out without contortions that are not acceptable [to me]. Bending my head forward is not an effective answer, because the A pillar/door aperture slopes back at such an angle that whatever I do, my headroom is severely compromised on exit.

As I said, I have not tried the XC60 but it sounds like a similar problem. My answer was to dip into my bank account further to try and justify the XC90, which in truth was the car I wanted all along [but the £15k saving on a similarly equipped D4 V90CC was so very tempting].
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 20:23   #6
lupinIII

Quacker, I think that's exactly the issue. I currently drive a Hyundai Tucson and I look through the upper portion of the windscreen (I would say the top quarter), but in no way my head is so close to it or to the visor. I guess how uncomfortable that A pillar is also depends on how upright you like to sit.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 22:46   #7
weemark

I've tried both and the interior design while superficially similar is very different. In the xc60 the centre tunnel is much higher and angular - the xc90 is lower and slightly sloping so gives the impression of much more space. The whole seating position in the 60 is more cramped and claustrophobic with the visor and A pillar in weird positions for me. Driving position for me much better in the old xc60 but destroyed by the ludicrously large and too close left foot rest! So I bought the xc90 - I'm 6'7" BTW so a bit taller than the OP
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 23:18   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
I've tried both and the interior design while superficially similar is very different. In the xc60 the centre tunnel is much higher and angular - the xc90 is lower and slightly sloping so gives the impression of much more space. The whole seating position in the 60 is more cramped and claustrophobic with the visor and A pillar in weird positions for me. Driving position for me much better in the old xc60 but destroyed by the ludicrously large and too close left foot rest! So I bought the xc90 - I'm 6'7" BTW so a bit taller than the OP
Did you try the S90 or V90? If so, were you like me and having to be a contortionist to get out of the thing?
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:26   #9
weemark

Yes I tried everything - contortionists abound! Even worse, my wife has a V40, nice and comfy once I'm in but getting in and out is hard work and impossible to do in any dignified manner!
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 11:45   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Did you try the S90 or V90? If so, were you like me and having to be a contortionist to get out of the thing?
Same here, I had no problem with seating height in the S/V90 (I am 6 foot) but getting out of them was a nightmare, but all normal saloon cars are the same for me, far too low for a dignified exit.
I once had a last model V40 as a loaner, and asked them to give me something taller, they gave me another V40 but it was the V40CC a bit higher like the V90CC and easier to get in and out, I would think the V90cc will be about the same to exit as that V40CC which I could manage, not perfect but a lot less undignified.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote