Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights for continental driving

Views : 6429

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:14   #21
mike95

As we are off to France this weekend I too contacted Volvo.

To be fair they came back to me very quickly with the following response:

New XC60 2018 model year
LED with Active High Beam - No adjustment required
LED (bending) with Active High Beam - No adjustment required

Therefore the lights in the new XC60 automatically accommodate the approaching traffic so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

So it seems that we need not worry and it all happens automatically.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 13:58   #22
ukden

I assume that your car will have the adaptive LED headlights, if that is the case, they should "adapt".

However, I interpret the "no adjustment required" to really mean no adjustment possible.

There is no way that my non adaptive headlights will not dazzle oncoming drivers, if I am driving on the right.

I will look for a suitable wall to shine my lights at, and photograph the light pattern. I will post the pics on here. It may take a while, I live in a rural location, there are not many walls around!

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 23:15   #23
mike95

Well, I simply asked the question and they quickly and politely came back to me with a clear answer.

Sharing it here was just to help other owners.

I am happy to see how it goes at the weekend before challenging the people who we should have confidence in to provide the correct information.

Mike
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:04   #24
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post

I will look for a suitable wall to shine my lights at, and photograph the light pattern. I will post the pics on here. It may take a while, I live in a rural location, there are not many walls around!
I found a suitable location to photograph my dipped headlight beam (local agricultural machinery supplier with adjacent level car park).

This beam pattern will clearly dazzle oncoming drivers when driving on the right.

Here is the result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB021162c.jpg (104.1 KB, 129 views)

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 13:53   #25
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
I found a suitable location to photograph my dipped headlight beam (local agricultural machinery supplier with adjacent level car park).

This beam pattern will clearly dazzle oncoming drivers when driving on the right.
Yep, it certainly will. It's hard to believe that Volvo hasn't incorporated a method for adjusting this or at the very least produced a masking template.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 19:44   #26
mike95

Now back from our short hop to France.

I am pleased to report that, as suggested by Volvo, I didn't do anything to the headlamps and all seemed fine.

My night time drive was only about half an hour but in a built up area with quite a lot of traffic and no one flashed me.

I didn't use the high beam and just left it on dip.

Mike

Last edited by mike95; Nov 10th, 2017 at 19:47.
mike95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 21:44   #27
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
I am pleased to report that, as suggested by Volvo, I didn't do anything to the headlamps and all seemed fine.

Mike
Is your dipped beam the same as mine? See my post of 3rd Nov.

I assume that you have adaptive headlights, whereas I do not. I do not know whether the adaptive system also applies to the dipped beam.

My dipped lights would certainly dazzle oncoming drivers if I were driving on the right. I have asked customer support and my local dealer, both have promised to get back to me with an answer, neither has (yet).

Old Nov 10th, 2017, 22:11   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Is your dipped beam the same as mine? See my post of 3rd Nov.

I assume that you have adaptive headlights, whereas I do not. I do not know whether the adaptive system also applies to the dipped beam.

My dipped lights would certainly dazzle oncoming drivers if I were driving on the right. I have asked customer support and my local dealer, both have promised to get back to me with an answer, neither has (yet).
Keep the faith.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 18:40   #29
NickV90

Ukden... my V90 momentum beam pattern in the same as yours.

Led with auto dipping but not the adaptive technology.
Volvo do indeed say no adjustment is needed when driving abroad. I have asked direct and the dealer.
There is no option in sensus in this model... in spite of some folk telling me I am wrong.
There is no adjuster under the bonnet.. in spite of some folk telling me I am wrong.
There is no beam height adjustment.

And having driven at length in France in the dark, people did flash me on multiple occasions.

Ho hum
Nick
NickV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickV90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 19:53   #30
Lexman8
Premier Member

If the standard beam pattern is asymmetric you're bound to get flashed driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Really surprised that Volvo haven't allowed for this on some cars.