Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Pre Heater

Views : 1165

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 13:45   #1
DriverDen

Default XC60 Pre Heater

Hi,

tried to have Volvo dealer look at my MY18 XC60 Parking / Pre Conditioning / auxiliary heater and was told my car doesn't have one.

The owners manual tells me how to use it. The console in the car allows me to set a timer for it. I get an error message that its not working so was suprised not to have one.

I can't see that this was an option for UK models of XC60 it seems to be listed as a feature across the range?

Can anyone confirm which UK models of XC60 have the parking heater or where I can find this information?

Is there anyting I can look at on the vehicle that will show if one is fitted?

thanks
D
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 16:34   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Hi,

The only vehicles that have ever had it as standard are T8s.

Let me know the registration number of your vehicle and I'll do a spec check and let you have the specification guide for the vehicle when it was new.

Edit: Just spotted you said MY18. I have attached the MY18 spec guide which confirms its only standard on the T8 (page 6 under "T8 TWIN ENGINE " features)

Kind Regards

Marc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new-volvo-xc60-my18-edition-2a.pdf (1.52 MB, 13 views)

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Oct 2nd, 2019 at 16:37.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 17:30   #3
DriverDen

Thanks for the clarification. Wouldn't the T8 have a electric heater like electric vehicles do?

Mine is a D5. Why do I have the controls in the console for a feature I don't have installed? Why do I get an error message saying temporarily unavailable? Shouldn't it know the feature isn't there and just say feature unavailable etc?

Why doesn't the manual include something to clarify if you have the feature or not?

I wonder if there is anything else I have controls for when I don't have the the underlying technology installed in the car.

D
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 18:05   #4
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDen View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Wouldn't the T8 have a electric heater like electric vehicles do?

Mine is a D5. Why do I have the controls in the console for a feature I don't have installed? Why do I get an error message saying temporarily unavailable? Shouldn't it know the feature isn't there and just say feature unavailable etc?

Why doesn't the manual include something to clarify if you have the feature or not?

I wonder if there is anything else I have controls for when I don't have the the underlying technology installed in the car.

D
Hi,

I believe all the Cars Software around this are done the same so that if you were to add an auxiliary heater at a later date the ability to use it is there.... should really say "unavailable" rather than "Temporarily Unavailable" though, I agree!

In the spec guide it states "Auxiliary Fuel-Fired Heater with Pre-Conditioning Functions" - to me this would read that it is "Fuel Fired" and hence using the Petrol Engine in a T8, also the below kind of reads like that is the case too....

With regards to the user manual (https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP24640.pdf) on page 230

Parking heater* (where the * is "* Option/accessory")

The parking heater heats the passenger compartment as necessary before driving if the car's preconditioning is activated.The parking heater is one of two sub functions of the car's heater. The heater is fitted in the front right hand wheel housing.This symbol illuminates in the driver display when the parking heater is active.

NOTE:When the heater is running, smoke may be emitted from the right-hand front wheel housing and a low hum may be heard. A ticking sound from the fuel pump may also be heard from the rear section of the car. This is perfectly normal.The parking heater starts automatically if the parking climate's preconditioning* is activated and the passenger compartment needs to be heated up.It switches off automatically when a set timer time or the heater's maximum run time expires, or if the car is restarted.The heater's maximum running time is 40 minutes

I'm assuming you haven't had the vehicle from brand new, as otherwise you'd know if it was spec'd on the vehicle from New?....

Feel free to pop me your reg number to mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk and I'll confirm the specification/extras that were added to the vehicle from new to see if you can get a better understanding on what the vehicle does/doesn't have.

Hope the above is useful

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 19:01   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

As an FYI: I have the diesel-driven parking heater in the MY2009 D5 XC90 and it is fantastic in the Winter.

Pre-program it to have the engine and car warm when you come back from a day's skiing or snow-shoeing, brilliant!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater