Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow return to idle

Views : 4414

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 17:31   #11
ajm
Master Member

I think you've quite possibly found the source of your trouble - it looks like a new sensor is about £40 so not an unreasonable amount to "risk" given your troubleshooting to this point.
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 17:55   #12
slimeslab

Gotta be worth a try I think.

It would be good to know what the system is supposed to do using the clutch sensor data? Especially on a car without cruise control...
slimeslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 20:45   #13
brickman
Premier Member

Never knew that about the clutch pedal sensor, assumed its only role was for the C/C.

Suggest dismantle it and clean out with spray, could just be gunk, though a new one isn't as much as I'd though it would be.

Ilexa's software gives me a throttle value from 0-100%, hence assuming its resting value was 0% Guess the Ilexa software is interpreting the 9-88% Will have to get VIDA working as sounds like it offers more info!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 21:09   #14
slimeslab

Vida is damn useful but I find that its info is spread all over the place and you have to sort of learn the way around the database.

Does anyone have this same car with this same engine who would be willing to film or describe how their car returns to idle so I can compare please?

I took the sensor out and had a look and when I put its two halves back together again the track snapped into many many pieces :/

So...i'll be ordering a new one Monday morning regardless as I now have an engine warning light on constantly
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 21:45   #15
brickman
Premier Member

If I'm out tomorrow I can do one for you. Are you talking just from rev's, lift off throttle in neutral, or do you mean whilst driving?
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 21:54   #16
slimeslab

In neutral would be great.

Mine exhibits the same fault whether in neutral or while driving and dipping clutch.

It would just be good to see someone else's car to do a comparison

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 18:38   #17
slimeslab

Update on this - new clutch sensor picked up today from FRF Swansea - better price than eBay.
Have fitted it but haven't reset the ECU yet, I have also taken the plunge and removed the inlet manifold to clean it out along with the EGR (stoopid thing)

It was full of sludge, so far its had two Mr Muscle oven cleaning foam soaks and pressure washes and its now soaking overnight in Gunk degreaser.

Its amazing the size on the chunks of oily sludge that came out, its just an awkward thing to clean due to the shape.

So hopefully once its cleaned out and dried tomorrow I'll be able to test everything.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by slimeslab; Feb 24th, 2014 at 18:46. Reason: Spelling.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 21:12   #18
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Hmmmm... pedal sensors....

Try this...

Keep one foot on the brake, then rev up the engine with the other. On mine the revs take longer to drop like this.

Don't know why, i think it's something to do with the cruise setup and the pedal switches.

I noticed this while waiting in traffic once holding the car on the foot brake and could hear a noise from somewhere, which is when i blipped the throttle with my heel (to see if noise increased with revs) and noticed this behaviour.

Also to try and diagnose brake issues (pulling, pulsing etc) when in gear, try applying the brake and throttle at the same time... you cant. The car will cut the throttle when it realises the brake is applied.

'98 V40 2.0T B4204T - died...
'96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 255,000 miles
"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."

Last edited by artiedtke; Feb 24th, 2014 at 21:15.
artiedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:48   #19
slimeslab

Update:

Manifold cleaned along with EGR.
New clutch position sensor fitted.....
Exactly the same symptoms and problem exists....

I have checked the clutch position values that are being reported in VIDA and the exact same behaviour is being exhibited - resting value of 30 odd % with a max of 80 odd with a jump from 50-80ish.

The resistance values in VIDA:

Position (mm) 0 25 50 100
R (() 1500-2500 1000-2000 750-1750 500-1000

Are not a great deal like my readings - my 0mm position is open circuit and my final 100mm position is about 350 ohms.

There is a sudden drop in resistance in the last 20mm of movement which is (I'm guessing) the jump reported my the ECU.

I'm totally confused now - could the new sensor be faulty?

But its odd that the old sensor and new sensor exhibit exactly the same values and behaviour.

HELP
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 17:26   #20
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have you measured the actual resistance of the sensor over the operating range using a multimeter?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote