Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ID these 3 parts, please!

Views : 830

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 12:12   #1
Distendo

Default ID these 3 parts, please!

"Next post will probably be when I need to make sure where some bits came from... I labelled my parts bags, but there are all these tubes dangling around."
(Me, previous posting on this forum, 31st March)

Ok, so I have one mystery bracket, and two mystery tubes, see pics (I took pics when dismantling, but can't find these bits on any).

Bracket: but I have no idea where it fits or what tubing (I guess) it supports.

I can't remember or figure out (so far) where the ends of the two tubes go.

The white tube is very short and must connect somewhere nearby, but...

The black tube is so long it looks like it could connect round the back of the engine or to the rest of the entrails in that region (I got a bad feeling about that one). It has a connection in the middle of its length, which I assume is a filter or trap (circled).

I anticipate that explaining where these parts fit may not be be easy to describe without pics, but any clues gratefully received!

Thanks for reading this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery bracket.jpg (216.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg white tube.jpg (208.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg black tube.jpg (218.9 KB, 55 views)
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 12:30   #2
Gaztech

The white tube is a vacuum line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator near the steering column. It connects to a small steel line that runs along the coolant line on the back of the engine, the elbow that goes onto the white line often fails. The other line looks like the one that goes to the intake hose next to the pcv valve from the evap solenoid lines. The bracket I am not too sure but looks like it bolts to the subframe and supports the fuel lines perhaps.

Gareth
Gaztech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaztech For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 13:48   #3
Distendo

Thanks for the clues there, Gareth, and for being so quick!
I shall investigate further, and report back.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:22   #4
PNuT
MaDMaN

That bracket looks like the one that sits below the dizzy and holds the PCV pipe etc
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 17:08   #5
Gaztech

Yes that's the bracket, good shout!
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 18:25   #6
Distendo

Cheers for that, PNuT, and for the confirmation, Gareth.

I may have seen a pic just now with the bracket in situ i.e. below and near the dist, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. (Looks like the bracket goes with the one pocket bolt I have.)

Got the long black hose ('tube') sorted: near the bulkhead, low, right-hand side (looking from radiator).

Still no joy with white tube...
The white tube is very short, approx 9", and I can't see any connection it'll reach behind the engine, or indeed anywhere else. I may have seen a pic of that too but, again, tomorrow.

Should perhaps have mentioned:
This was a cylinder head job (just fitting last few components).
I'm in the UK, so it's a right-hand drive (reversing various components under the bonnet/hood).
The mystery bracket is approx 3.5" long, 3.5" deep, and 1" wide, for a 1" hose.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 19:14   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

The white tube connects to a small metal pipe that is joined to the main water distribution pipe that runs at the rear of the block/head
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 21:49   #8
Distendo

Thanks PNuT, much appreciated.

What you say seems similar to what Gaztech wrote ("a small steel line that runs along the coolant line on the back of the engine").

I took a good look this afternoon, couldn't see any connection, elbow, or 'spare' nozzle (where an elbow connector might fit) within reach of this pipe. I'll take another look tomorrow. (You don't have a picture or diagram do you. Anyone?)

(We are talking about a thin - approx 3mm - white pipe that connects to ducting coming from the air filter, just past the MAF sensor, right?)

Frustrating - I've been through everything else on this job (essentially, to replace one burnt exhaust valve), and this tiny, tiny bit of plastic is now the only glitch (apart from that bracket). Isn't it always the way...

Mind you, it puts off the moment when I go to start it for the first time, when there'll be a loud clang, followed by a plume of black smoke from the exhaust, just before the whole thing goes up in flames...
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 22:25   #9
Gaztech

It is quite hard to explain but if you follow the bottom radiator hose up and under the distributor to where it connects to the main steel coolant pipe. You will stumble across a thin steel tube about the same thickness as a brake line, if not a bit narrower, on this pipe ,roughly 15cm directly under the upper engine torque mount to the left of the turbo compressor bypass valve. The thin steel vacuum pipe is connected to the coolant line via what look like oetiker clamps and it is what that white line connects to via a rubber elbow.
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 22:28   #10
Gaztech

https://www.google.com/search?q=volv...Gg82W7nOSyTfvM

Here is a link to a photo of what I am talking about