Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine top earth straps - where attached to bodywork?

Views : 1532

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 07:42   #1
Distendo

Default Engine top earth straps - where attached to bodywork?

I had an engine-top earth strap snap at the body connection end, and can't find where to attach its replacement.

There are two on my '98 V70T5, bolted to the engine at the cam-cover rear.

I have replaced the strap over towards the distributor side, but can't see where the strap near the timing belt side attaches to the bodywork. I'm looking for a small bolthead with the remnant of the strap still attached, presumably on the bulkhead.

I'm in the UK, so that would be somewhere near the brake servo (left side of the engine compartment, looking from the front towards the bulkhead).

Give us a clue, someone, will you?

Cheers
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 08:07   #2
happy diver
Active Member Moment

How about it bolts to the R/H frame, behind the scuttle drain pipe
about three inches from the bulkhead shield, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Mate I can barely see where mine goes, and mine is actually there

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 14:28   #3
Distendo

Woof.

I've just done a cylinder head job, and there were some really awkward bolts and parts to get at (e.g. the exhaust manifold nuts and heat shields), where having fingers like ET's would seem to be the minimum requirement, but this one really takes the biscuit.

Followed your directions and eventually spotted it. I mean, what a damn silly place to put the connection point. Even if I could get a spanner on to the bolt and undo it, I doubt I could replace it, never mind having to position it through the new lead's terminal as well.

For the record, I attach a photo indicating where it is. You can just about see the frayed end of the strap. The bolt is completely hidden.

Thanks anyway, happy diver, at least I can stop trying to find it...

P.S. Re. the pic.: I've been replacing conduit round the under-bonnet wiring - I'll do these tatty sections next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earth strap body point location.jpg (76.0 KB, 41 views)
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 14:34   #4
Distendo

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get at this bolt that doesn't involve removing the engine?
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 17:28   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Is it actually essential that it goes there? Likely not as long as a lead from the engine goes to a good earth somewhere close ,and done neatly to make it look correct. Might need a longer lead but they are readily available from short to long. Originally fitted before the engine goes in I guess and then attached later down the line.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 17:41   #6
Distendo

Cheers, Derek
Briefly, it's not really necessary at all. There's another strap the other side of the engine, which I've just replaced with a nice shiny thick one. And as long as nothing goes wrong with that, the engine won't cut out as I'm overtaking something...
It's a belt-and-braces arrangement, I guess.
Anyway, I had a look around and didn't notice a likely alternative ground point, so just for the sake of 'authenticity', I thought I'd enquire about this original fitting.
If there isn't a way to do it (without disassembling everything under the bonnet), I will indeed try to figure out an alternative fix.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 19:37   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'd be inclined to do some sort of second strap, whilst you've done one shiny new one if it fails whilst it may cause the engine to cut out my experience was that the electric just finds another way back to earth, in the car in question that was via the accelerator cable which got very hot and then had to be replaced which was more of a pain than doing an earth strap.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 17:33   #8
Distendo

DaveNP's thinking and mine are similar ("And as long as nothing goes wrong with that, the engine won't cut out as I'm overtaking something"), though it hadn't occurred to me that the accelerator cable might provide a (temporary) back-up!

I'm all for "a belt-and-braces arrangement" where there's the opportunity.

All I'm really after now is the opportunity - an alternative boltable contact point.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 09:26   #9
winsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I'd be inclined to do some sort of second strap, whilst you've done one shiny new one if it fails whilst it may cause the engine to cut out my experience was that the electric just finds another way back to earth, in the car in question that was via the accelerator cable which got very hot and then had to be replaced which was more of a pain than doing an earth strap.
I would definitely use 2 straps on engine.

If you only have one and it fails the current that would be going to the body of the car will find another way.. and if that is through the ECU or sensors it will not be a good place to be. (worse scenario)

Just for info on my old Auto box there is also an earth to the front of the transmission.. think this was a thick blue wire that goes to body under the battery compartment.

Also think of the current used when you are using the starter motor !!

Volvo must have used 2 on engine and one one gearbox for a reason.

:-)

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winsox For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 14:24   #10
Distendo

Agreed.

I had assumed that one of the thick wires going to the battery went directly to the engine to take the current for the starter. The original engine earth straps didn't look to me like they'd handle that sort of current for long.

Still hunting for an alternative bodywork ground point...