Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Could i have put my turbo together incorrectly

Views : 1315

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 13:41   #1
osullivant

Default Could i have put my turbo together incorrectly

I am having continuing issues with Airflow through engine. This is a very much a stab in the dark but I have the sense that the volume of air being drawn into the engine at low revs is incorrect.

Unless I am wrong,,,,,,, quantity of airflow is contributed to by the Turbo which is driven by exhaust, whilst the speed at which the turbo is driven is influenced by the position of the vanes in the Turbo. and thus the positioning of these vanes directly influences the quantity of air drawn into the engine.

When I was reassembling the turbo could I have put these vanes back incorrectly, so that they were out of sync with the lever which operates them thus, only at midpoint would they be close to their correct position.

I say this because the car is beautiful to drive at about 2500rpm in 6th at 120kms which is pretty close to mid ways...

can this be diagnosed using VIDA.....

Any advice or info Please!!!!!

Tony.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 19:15   #2
moorgate

Loss of boost at the RPM you describe is more likely to be a loss of *vacuum* - the vanes are sucked into the high revs position by the turbo control system. hunt vacuum leaks!
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 19:48   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
Loss of boost at the RPM you describe is more likely to be a loss of *vacuum* - the vanes are sucked into the high revs position by the turbo control system. hunt vacuum leaks!
If your D5 turbo is actuated by an electric motor, a vacuum leak hunt will be a wild goose chase.

OP, yes the turbo can be actuated by Vida and you can watch the arm movement to see if it's adjusting correctly.
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 21:36   #4
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If your D5 turbo is actuated by an electric motor, a vacuum leak hunt will be a wild goose chase.

OP, yes the turbo can be actuated by Vida and you can watch the arm movement to see if it's adjusting correctly.
Yes it is an electric motor so no vacum issue, and yes vida moves the actuator but I am concerned that I put the Turbo together incorrectly so that the vanes are in the wrong position at idle.

looking at the turbo sites and http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/downl...rbocharger.pdf

In particular it could well be an issue, I have been going through all the work I did and this is really the only piece that I interfered with that could have such a long lasting and consistent, non obvious fault. sods law also dictates that the problem will be simple but the hardest possible to get at ....
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 09:24   #5
osullivant

Disconnected the connection to the actuator whilst the car was switched off.

Started engine cleared all codes and went for spin, car permanently in Limp mode but driving smoothly just driving as if I had a heavy trailer on the back. and certainly the first trip that did not finish with a Maf 135f fault

Unless there is another way to diagnose or rule out the possibility of incorrect assembly, I am going to have to get very very dirty again.

Does anyone have good images that show the CORRECT positions of the vanes when the turbo is being assembled.

thanks for all the help todate.....
Old Aug 14th, 2016, 12:58   #6
RM955I
Premier Member

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but I always understood that if a turbo was disassembled, it needed professionally balancing. That may not be your issue but perhaps worth mentioning.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 14:04   #7
5cilinder
Premier Member

The electric vnt can be callibrated in vida if im not mistaken
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 14:49   #8
RM955I
Premier Member

I doubt VIDA can carry out physical balancing of the vanes.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 17:29   #9
5cilinder
Premier Member

Who said the vanes are in I(im)balance? He got limpmode by incorrect pressure /airflow
If the refference/start position of the vnt is not callibrated it can overcompensate with all the symptomes wich are mentioned

An imbalanced turbo can work perfectly without limpmode until it breaks
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 18:09   #10
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Who said the vanes are in I(im)balance
Sigh.....

Who says the vanes are balanced? My point is that (a) If the turbo has been dismantled it may need balancing and (b) not everything can be fixed by a piece of software.

I am not now, and never did, state that his problem was solely caused by an out of balance turbo: just that it was a consideration.

Last edited by RM955I; Aug 15th, 2016 at 18:11.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote