Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

vida/vadis fitting guide request

Views : 774

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2013, 18:52   #1
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Default vida/vadis fitting guide request

Can someone attach the process of removing and replacing the power aerial on a phase 2 460 please? My vadis no longer works

Edit: Its a trap, dont try it. Iv popped the fuses and im not sure where the blue, red and black wires on the individual new unit versus the old and versus the cars wiring which are all different
Haynes book of lies has nothing on the mast appart from page 275 fig 12.21 lol.
Gonna splice it up tomorrow once i find the blown fuse and got a pack.

Last edited by Anadinolin; Aug 8th, 2013 at 21:42.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 20:38   #2
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Right, i write this as a bit of a warning and as a bit of a moan too.

I jave recently tried fitting a new power aerial for my 460, a bush caught the old and bent it so it would not extend or retract - eventually blowing the fuse.

Getting fed up with this i got an aftermarket aerial from autoloads afyer ringing round a couple of volvo suppliers. - 460 parts are a struggle to find.

So i recieved the new aerial last night and started taking my car appart, out came the boot tray - a bit aukward in itself.
Then the carpet and the left hand plastic covers. I looked inside where the plastic used to hide (all came out with lugs btw, i hate lugs, im a nuts and bolts man) then though, "how the fudge do i get that out?" There where two small holes with whitch to put in my hands and extract the unit, which looked so much bigger in its spot behind said peep holes.

After 20 minutes of gentle persuasion (i had to mauver the bugger this way and that, whilst
slicing my hands on the sharp metal) i finally got it out.

Beer break

Next i compared the units, very similar...the other one slightly larger, i could remove a small panel on it to make some room. there was a relay strapped to the old one before the socket connecting it to the car. The major difference, the wires. Blue ref and black...fu*k i thought.

I tried different combinations with the wire sets to get it to extend, blew a fuse after the third combo and then gave up.

Next day, lunchtime at work i got the crimping set out...chopped the plug off the old unit and then i decided to wait untill the evening, more to follow ...
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 22:42   #3
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
A replacement mast will save you a bit of hassle but you still need to remove the unit from the car, which you have done.
Is your motor still running? eBay have the mast for your car and I suspect the dealer may still be able to order too?
I can help with mast replacement if needed.
Cheers
Edit I see you have chopped off the plug but if I can help I will.

Last edited by OvlovS70; Aug 9th, 2013 at 22:44.
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 09:11   #4
Anadinolin
VOC Member

I didnt see how the mast comes away from the motor housing, otherwise i would have just swapped the masts over im going to see if rufe has an official volvo one, i got the autoleads one fitted with a bit of modafacation. It stands a bit too tall in the braket so the mast is higher and the hole to the outside world is oval and none of the gromets fit properly. I think it looks ugly and the signal is marginally better than without a mast!! (Ie its crap)

Ill continue my story from yesterday

I crimped up the leads, so i had the socket from the old unit with a few CM of spare wire and spade terminals (insulated) on the ends.

I had shortened the 2Meter wires comming fron the new unit and crimped the ends of that too.

I had a bag of 15amp blade fuses aswell, so, trial and error time, NONE of the cables matched up. So, i tried several combinations using the crimp terminals to easily change which whire goes to/from the socket. I found the below combination worked. I am going from memory so might be slightly incorrect

Car side mast side
Red/pink wire[----socket----] blue wire
Green/brown wire [----socket----] red wire
Yellow/blue wire [----socket----] black wire

It worked!! Now to fit the autoleads unit. Hmmm the in/out junction box is stopping it fitting, so i took the cover off the unit. Tried to wiggle back into the hole, still not going.

Took the cover off the motor housing, nope still didnt fit. There was a third hole just behind the seat bolster...ill try that. Hell yeah it goes in after removing the tilt sensor (assuming it is that? Just a white block with wires)

Threaded it backward to the fitting point and fefitted the panels through the small holes and pointed the mast skywards, put the mounting plate back on and then discovered, the mast is too tall grrr.

Not one to leave it badly fitted i used some of their gromet fittings, they did not fit very well but i used the one that worked best. Put everything back and switched on the radio, the mast went up but the reception was poor.

Iv left it wishing i could have found an official volvo one...
Its better than no mast and tape over the old hole lol. Everythings all back together, as i have allready said im really dissapointed with the reception of the new unit.

Last edited by Anadinolin; Aug 10th, 2013 at 09:17.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 11:54   #5
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
A genuine replacement is available on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-400-...item53fb50923d
It should come with instructions, basically a hard copy of the Vadis, the one for my model did but missed out the key detail that there is a metal sleeve. When the aerial is on full extent a small flat bladed screwdriver will prise this free and release the whole mast which has a long tooted white plastic cable, this is done in situ. I ended up with mine out the car as I had no idea about this sleeve. You can't see it as it is inside the aerial shaft, this and the wing bolt stop the mast from just coming right out of the wing, I wrongly believed it was just the bolt.

You could look for a second hand complete unit and reconnect the wires? I believe the genuine motor part is very expensive.
As your other unit is out the car try getting the mast free.
I feel my information may have come a bit late for you, but I'll help if I can.
Cheers

Last edited by OvlovS70; Aug 10th, 2013 at 12:06. Reason: Typing errors
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote