Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 in-car phone

Views : 1333

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 19:51   #1
sfstu

Default V50 in-car phone

Hi all, V50 new owner here with the first of probably several enquiries..!
i've tried the search button (with mixed results) and have read through a few posts on the subject but still unclear on the answer...?

my 58 v50 r design (new to me this week ) has the built in phone and all the controls beneath the cd slot and the steering wheel controls.
Lovely, but i don't have a second sim and don't want a seperate sim/phone number so is there any way i can connect my mobile to the car with bluetooth using the existing system and retaining use of the built in controls?

Don't really want to get a seperate bluetooth system (parrot or whatever) as would like to minimize clutter and have all the controls in the car anyway, just linked to the built in phone.

Many thanks for reading,
rgds Stu

Last edited by sfstu; Jun 27th, 2014 at 19:51. Reason: spelling
sfstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 20:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfstu View Post
Hi all, V50 new owner here with the first of probably several enquiries..!
i've tried the search button (with mixed results) and have read through a few posts on the subject but still unclear on the answer...?

my 58 v50 r design (new to me this week ) has the built in phone and all the controls beneath the cd slot and the steering wheel controls.
Lovely, but i don't have a second sim and don't want a seperate sim/phone number so is there any way i can connect my mobile to the car with bluetooth using the existing system and retaining use of the built in controls?

Don't really want to get a seperate bluetooth system (parrot or whatever) as would like to minimize clutter and have all the controls in the car anyway, just linked to the built in phone.

Many thanks for reading,
rgds Stu
It is just a phone which needs a SIM to work . There is no Bluetooth with it .. Just get another SIM and people will have your car number on their list , for emergencies when they need you and you are on the road ...
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 20:05   #3
sfstu

Was really hoping not to have two seperate phone numbers...i know diverts can be set up but it all seems such a faff considering everthing's there in the car ready for hands free
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 12:19   #4
sfstu

And Vodafone don't do duplicate sims...
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 13:08   #5
sfstu

After doing some reading on dual sims, can't believe it's not possible to do this?

Don't know whether I'm more irritated with Volvo for putting a lovely built in phone system (but that has a sim holder in the car but not bluetooth), or with the mobile phone providers who claim it's just not possible to have 2 sims for 1 number, although from what i've read it is possible, and widely done in Europe but not here...!?

Really would love to make use of this facility for hands free that my car has, but I don't want to have the aggro of getting a 2nd sim, transferring all my numbers, letting everyone i know know that i have a 2nd number, keeping it topped up etc etc...

Rgds, AnnoyedStu
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 13:30   #6
I-S
Premier Member

It's a horrendously outdated concept... My dad's 1996 BMW has a phone which takes its own (full credit-card sized) SIM (since bluetooth did not exist back then), and it never got used much because people have to know when you're in the car to call you on a different number. Generally I think few people place outgoing calls when driving. Eventually the SIM lapsed and he's never bothered to replace it.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 14:45   #7
sfstu

It does seem a very outdated concept but from what I've been reading on some of the mobile/network forums, more and more new cars are putting in phones with simcards, audi, vw etc so it's obviously becoming a more popular system...

Vodafone and Orange used to offer dual sims but stopped as there wasn't that much demand, although there does seem to be now from the amount of posts I've found from people asking the same question as me...

The networks answer is to pull your sim out of your phone when you get in the car. Like i really want to do that 2 or 3 times a day...

Last edited by sfstu; Jun 28th, 2014 at 14:50.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 17:41   #8
I-S
Premier Member

The cause has changed though - cars are getting SIMs now for data connections to offer in-car wifi, google maps, spotify, etc - voice calling is pretty much irrelevant because people want to use their own number through bluetooth - the V50 is not using the sim for data connection, but as a voice only service.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 16:00   #9
deepsix

When I used mine I would just divert calls (quick and easy to do when you get in car) The credit on a PAYT sim lasts for ages if just used for incoming calls.Once it started playing up though I realised that I didn't really need it and after a fiddle just didn't bother with it. I'm not electronically minded and didn't want to have to pay loads to fix something that I could live without.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 17:03   #10
sfstu

Tbh, will probably just get a bluetooth kit that clips to visor.
Not my favourite choice but i need something to keep it legal.