Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4/5 tuning- Interesting..

Views : 9289

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 11:47   #61
Wizzpop
Master Member

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by Quacker
I wish the UK would go fully metric.
Lexman8;2495161:I couldn't agree more.[/QUOTE]

Dangerous territory, don't prod the Brexiteers!
Could rival Winter Tyres for posts
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 17:41   #62
MidnightT4

Any update on this?
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 21:07   #63
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightT4 View Post
Any update on this?
Update as requested..

They cannot tune it OBD. They have picked the unit up today and will give me a refund.
They can tune it, just need to visit them first to ‘crack it’ (like BSR) then I could use the hand held device to load/unload the modified map if/when required.
I didn’t fancy that, hence the return.

After some investigation it seems many people can tune these, although the ECU needs to come out initially to overcome the tuning protection. Not really something I’d want to do to a company paid lease car.

I know I know ‘I shouldn’t be touching something that’s not mine’ but the poor old girl needs all the help she can get - circa 1800kgs with me in it and 188bhp...
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:38   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
Update as requested..

They cannot tune it OBD. They have picked the unit up today and will give me a refund.
They can tune it, just need to visit them first to ‘crack it’ (like BSR) then I could use the hand held device to load/unload the modified map if/when required.
I didn’t fancy that, hence the return.

After some investigation it seems many people can tune these, although the ECU needs to come out initially to overcome the tuning protection. Not really something I’d want to do to a company paid lease car.

I know I know ‘I shouldn’t be touching something that’s not mine’ but the poor old girl needs all the help she can get - circa 1800kgs with me in it and 188bhp...
You really dead set against a box?
https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...1969-ccm-2/#go

I am waiting to see what the euro/pound does to see if I can get the cpa nitro box for less cash.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 23:00   #65
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
You really dead set against a box?
https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...1969-ccm-2/#go

I am waiting to see what the euro/pound does to see if I can get the cpa nitro box for less cash.
Afraid so. Tried two, had problems with both. That’s also £200.00 dearer than a remap with a before and after RR run...
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 12:59   #66
Berkshirebob

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I’ve spent months researching and decided to go with the bench flash in the end as it has to be ‘unlocked’ first. This is where I’m at...

Booked in to a place (said they could map it) - but they didn’t have the correct tool (K-Tag). It did make 196.3bhp/310ftlbs though. DynoDynamics - so called ‘heartbreaker dyno’.
Tool turned up after a week or so, and again this was incorrect and they have no solution.

Spoke to Dimsport (another mapping tool supplier - like K-Tag above) and yes they can do it.
Oh no they can’t (another afternoon wasted).

No one can.

Autotuner (yet another mapping tool company) ‘have a solution in the pipeline’ but I’m not holding my breath!

Basically if your D4 is pre- Adblue you are fine. Either allow a K-tag equipped tuner to break-open your ecu and connect directly to the PCB, or Dimsport, who can unlock it direct from the plugs.
For vehicles with Adblue you’re out of luck.

The Ecu is in the near side front wheel arch behind the liner - a ten minute job to remove if you are as practised as me...

Completely draining exercise. How much is Polestar again?...
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 16:27   #67
yourtheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
Afraid so. Tried two, had problems with both. That’s also £200.00 dearer than a remap with a before and after RR run...
Hi all, just looked at the above link and they seem to be the only site that i've seen that actually list the D5 PP .
But i'm more interested in the gearbox box, i find that the car is a bit ponderous off the mark in comfort mode, just wonder if this would sharpen things up a little.
yourtheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 11:13   #68
ZenSpeedmaster

I'm also curious about the effect of P* on the gearbox in comfort mode. I don't have the drive mode switch so I'm stuck in comfort mode. The gearbox is driving me insane. It is absolutely rubbish and never seems to be in the right gear. I just can't believe how sluggish and unresponsive it is!!

So does the polestar tune improve the gearbox in comfort or normal mode?
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 14:00   #69
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
I'm also curious about the effect of P* on the gearbox in comfort mode. I don't have the drive mode switch so I'm stuck in comfort mode. The gearbox is driving me insane. It is absolutely rubbish and never seems to be in the right gear. I just can't believe how sluggish and unresponsive it is!!

So does the polestar tune improve the gearbox in comfort or normal mode?

Answer with one word 'YES'.
It is very different than what it is when not tuned. Very smooth and changing at the right moment.

P. S. Most of the dealers are offering 14 days money back guarantee if you are not happy with P*. Why don't you try it and then to decide if you want to keep it or not?

Last edited by volvo s60 2001; Mar 13th, 2021 at 14:04.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 11:59   #70
ZenSpeedmaster

Cheers mate, I will try that for sure. Tbh the dealership I have been using are utterly clueless. I had to bring the car in 3 times to get a power pulse hose replaced as they couldn't figure out what the problem was in spite of me telling them on the phone before I brought the car in at all!

A 14 day trial would be ideal. The car needs something done because this gearbox is ruining a lovely car. I'm half afraid to use roundabouts these days!!