Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Auxiliary Belt (Serpentine Belt) & tensioner

Views : 6590

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 22:18   #11
richardt1994

Hello All,

In an attempt to add confusion :-)

My V70 is a 2009 MY purchased in 2014 when it was almost 5.5 years old and had done 55,000 miles and was due its 6 year service a couple of months after I bought it. This was done by Rigby Volvo in Birmingham at 56,500 miles and they replaced the cambelt, aux belt and tensioners etc. As I do less than 18,000 miles per year it is serviced by year not mileage. It is the 2.4D 163 BHP Geartronic variant.

The service receipts I have from the previous owner (serviced by Kastner in Exeter?) indicate that the tensioner recall "fix" was done (confirmed by Rigby Volvo on Volvo's computer records) I am assuming that the aux belt and tensioner were part of the tensioner recall fix?

At 9 years (104,000 miles) again Rigby serviced it and replaced the aux belt and tensioner etc.

The car is currently 10.5 years old and has done 121,000 miles. The Volvo service web site indicates that at 12 years it will need the cambelt, aux belt and tensioners replaced again when at current rates the car will have done about 140,000 miles.

This would indicate the following:

Aux belt and tensioner at 3 years or 54,000 miles? (not clear from my car's service records)

Cambelt, aux belt and tensioners at 6 years or 108,000 miles.

Aux belt and tensioner at 9 years or 162,000 miles.

Cambelt, aux belt and tensioners at 12 years or 216,000 miles.

Does this make sense/seem accurate, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
richardt1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 06:27   #12
green van man
Premier Member

It would seem to vary with model year.
My 175bhp D5 MY10 is auxiliary belt at 5 years or 54,000 miles. Cam belt and second auxiliary belt at 10 years or 108,.000 miles.

I change the auxiliary belt tensioner with each auxiliary belt, it is the tensioner not the belt itself that causes the problem.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 20:03   #13
Peter86
Pete

My aux belt snapped at 42,000, luck escape though. Would change both together personally.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 20:39   #14
Scooser

This issue emerged in 2007 and as per the Op is still happening on 2014 cars. Why isn’t Volvo applying all the lessons learned from the early cars. Criminal behaviour.

If folk could get organised, I’m sure there is some class actin that can be taken against Volvo’s negligence here.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 23:15   #15
Redvon

Default Hi all... im In need of some help if possible

Hi all im new on the forum so please just shout at me if I've posted this in the wrong place and I apologise now if I have..
I'm hoping someone on here can help me out a little well a lot ..
My Serpentine belt went on my 2005 XC70 the timing belt didn't break or nothing but some of the serpentine belt was wrapped around the crank pulley she wasn't being driven at the time I was just starting her to drive so wasn't moving at all after this she would crank but not start..once finally got the crank pulley off the timing had been knocked out but all tention is ok..the snapped belt must have gone over the pulley and made it jump I would say 5-10 teeth..so that was put right and now she starts and starts very easy but she just chugs.. what's the old saying along the lines of firing on 3..But there is nothing on accelerator just loads of smoke nothing else at all just carnt get no throttle response..
No errors are coming up either and when turned by hand there was no kind of restrictions at all ( unless already all the damage is done) now out of ideas on what else to try or do or am I to face fact shes had it :-(.. I do have a video recording of the sound but ain't a clue how to post it or even know if I'm allowed to post it on here ..so any kinda help or ideas are really appreciated thanks kim
Redvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:23   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Sorry to say these are interference engines, if your timing jumped 5 to 10 teeth it is almost certain your pistons hit the valves on at least some cylinders.

This can result in broken valves and holed pistons as well as bent con rods.
Unfortunatly I fear you face considerable expence.

I would start be taking the head off to ascertain the damage.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 18:40   #17
Redvon

Thanks Paul for your reply.. scrap job really then next time I’ll stick with the good old tranny lol..thanks again Kim
Redvon is offline   Reply With Quote