Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4T Petrol fine for 10 minutes then ETS

Views : 841

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2017, 16:07   #1
caspro

Default 2.4T Petrol fine for 10 minutes then ETS

A 1999 140K miles V70 2.4T drives fine for around 10 minutes and then the ETS light comes on.

The light stays on untill the engine is restarted and then it will last a further 10 minutes an so on.

When the light comes on the car struggles and is very hesitant and has little to no throttle response.

I've done some research and some point to it being caused by the MAF, the ETM or a few other bits like relays.

Has anyone else had the same problem and solved it?

It was suggested on THIS THREAD that I should try in this section.
caspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 16:16   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If it's not already been done, sort the ETM. A known issue, even if this is not the issue and highly likley it is, do it. Don't mess with any ETM other than the non-contact, non-Marelli Sacer version and be done. Then you'll have a starting point. And in the meantime any other fault finding will be thrown by it. Else, ignore this and it won't be 'if' but 'when' it lets go. Bite the bullet.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 16th, 2017 at 16:19.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 17:29   #3
brickman
Premier Member

Mine does the same. Its a classic way for them to fail/throw codes. Think its about £150 for the kit to get it converted but have to send it to the states. Haven't done mine yet as haven't had the time to send it off. MOST other codes come up as a result of the magnetti morelli angle sensor fault, though there are exceptions.
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 20:04   #4
caspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
If it's not already been done, sort the ETM. A known issue, even if this is not the issue and highly likley it is, do it. Don't mess with any ETM other than the non-contact, non-Marelli Sacer version and be done. Then you'll have a starting point. And in the meantime any other fault finding will be thrown by it. Else, ignore this and it won't be 'if' but 'when' it lets go. Bite the bullet.
Understood. I can do this myself can't I? With one of THESE right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Mine does the same. Its a classic way for them to fail/throw codes. Think its about £150 for the kit to get it converted but have to send it to the states. Haven't done mine yet as haven't had the time to send it off. MOST other codes come up as a result of the magnetti morelli angle sensor fault, though there are exceptions.
As you are saying the price is £150 Brickman, I assume you mean with the cover and all. Can I be carefull and re-use the original?

Correct me if I am wrong but changing over to contactless by just changing what is linked above will not require coding where as if I switched the whole unit would.
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 21:48   #5
colwyn
Resident Ejit

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspro View Post

As you are saying the price is £150 Brickman, I assume you mean with the cover and all. Can I be carefull and re-use the original?

Correct me if I am wrong but changing over to contactless by just changing what is linked above will not require coding where as if I switched the whole unit would.
The bloke on ebay says to only do one side so it doesnt need programing
colwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 02:23   #6
caspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
The bloke on ebay says to only do one side so it doesnt need programing
Makes sense. Although wondering (as I don't have the car at my house at the moment) will the body definitely be the 2x TPS MM and not the Bosch which correct me if I'm wrong was introduced in 2002?

That one doesn't look like it has Sacer on so I think I will opt for one of the others of the same price with it written on in the picture.

Also, if it turns out it has been took to a dealer for the software update at some point will that affect the compatibility of the contactless TPS?

Last edited by caspro; Jan 17th, 2017 at 02:29.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:31   #7
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:

I thought they were much more than that. Or could be that the later etm cars need a more exotic solution
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 11:08   #8
colwyn
Resident Ejit

Quote:
Makes sense. Although wondering (as I don't have the car at my house at the moment) will the body definitely be the 2x TPS MM and not the Bosch which correct me if I'm wrong was introduced in 2002?

That one doesn't look like it has Sacer on so I think I will opt for one of the others of the same price with it written on in the picture.

Also, if it turns out it has been took to a dealer for the software update at some point will that affect the compatibility of the contactless TPS?

If its etm then it should be MM. I think the spacer is only needed depending on what side you choose to install

Just a thought, has it not had the free fix from volvo? should have yellow stickers I think

Thats one thing my denso v70 had and never caused a problem only eber needed to clean the TB

Last edited by colwyn; Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:11.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:49   #9
caspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
If its etm then it should be MM. I think the spacer is only needed depending on what side you choose to install

Just a thought, has it not had the free fix from volvo? should have yellow stickers I think

Thats one thing my denso v70 had and never caused a problem only eber needed to clean the TB
A spacer? The eBay kits seem to just come with the magnet & sensor. Unless you misread Sacer?

I'm not sure if it has or not as I don't have immediate access to it, either way it wouldn't be covered would it, being coming up to 18 years old and covered 140k? As far as I can see there is an extended warranty on the original of 10 years or 200k which ever comes first. I think the replacements with the yellow sticker do the same anyway don't they?

As CNG says "it's not 'if' but 'when' it lets go. Bite the bullet."

Will it having / not having the update / yellow sticker fix affect the new contactless sensor?

Last edited by caspro; Jan 17th, 2017 at 13:02.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 13:35   #10
colwyn
Resident Ejit

Quote:
A spacer? The eBay kits seem to just come with the magnet & sensor. Unless you misread Sacer?

I'm not sure if it has or not as I don't have immediate access to it, either way it wouldn't be covered would it, being coming up to 18 years old and covered 140k? As far as I can see there is an extended warranty on the original of 10 years or 200k which ever comes first. I think the replacements with the yellow sticker do the same anyway don't they?

As CNG says "it's not 'if' but 'when' it lets go. Bite the bullet."

Will it having / not having the update / yellow sticker fix affect the new contactless sensor?
no it just means that it has been replaced by volvo

Tags
2.4, 2.4t, etm, maf, v70