Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo owners club insurance scheme via chris knott insurance

Views : 198137

Replies : 311

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:07   #121
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
As I live in SK8 I'm unable to avail myself of your services. Fortunately there are other brokers who can do what you cannot.

Pookie
and we're perfectly comfortable with that because there are instances where we can cover scenarios others cannot. It's horses for courses. Good luck to you.

Last edited by ChrisKnottIns; Feb 13th, 2012 at 11:11.
ChrisKnottIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 15:16   #122
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKnottIns View Post
Yes, stats can be spun. But to clarify, the survey was conducted to assess the quality of our service (not whether we were cheapest or not for every quote) so it is correct to only survey those who have had the chance to experience our service for a period longer than just a quote phone call. Therefore, we asked our clients.

We're proud to sign up 1 in every 4 quotes which is very good for our industry. But if we had wanted to run a price survey of course we'd have had to include those people we didn't sign up.

As you say you're in an OL postcode which underwriters don't like because there is a high incidence of claims in your area. We can't change that but people need to realise that we're in business to make money by covering what we assess to be good risks. With car clubs there's a higher concentration of good risks but some members will still find the scheme doesn't work for them. Insurance is not a public service, where everyone is 'entitled' to the insurer's floor price all of the time.

To answer MrWoo, whoever told told you we only want high risk profile drivers was wrong. We DO want car club members who are true enthusiasts because you look after your cars and are statistically a SAFER class of driver. However, if you've had a really good quote that we're not prepared to go below we'll tell you. If you PM us your name, number and details of when you called we'll listen to the call recording and re-train that member of staff.

Hope this helps.
Whilst I thank you for your reply. I fully accept that you may not always be able to offer the cheapest qoute. In fact non of my post have mentioned price, the complaints I have read are about service on which you pride yourself. The fact that you will not accept business from certain individuals for a variety of reasons.

I would like to draw attention to Pookie's post and your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
As I live in SK8 I'm unable to avail myself of your services. Fortunately there are other brokers who can do what you cannot.

Pookie
Quote:
and we're perfectly comfortable with that because there are instances where we can cover scenarios others cannot. It's horses for courses. Good luck to you.
To say you are, to quote "perfectly comfortable" with not being able to offer your services to a considerable section of this country is shocking. I know you claim your hands are tied by your underwriters - and whilst I do not know the full in's and out's or brokerage and underwriters - but what steps have you taken to resolve this? Have you contacted other underwriters who may be willing to take on the business, have you attempted to negotiate with your current underwriters to allow the banned postcodes?

Indeed what would you do if these underwriters imposed further restrictions on you? Maybe a low annual mileage cap of 5,000 miles. Cars are not to exceed a value of £5,000. Only drivers over 65 are allowed. Would you still be comfortable after they have excluded the majority of the driving population and left you olny a handfull of people with which you can do business?

I would also like to pose a question to you. You claim your underwriters won't insure people with an OL postcode which they don't like because there is a high incidence of claims in the area. What if other companies followed suit and did the same thing? We could see a situation where I am legally bound to have insurance yet due to where I live no insurance company will take my business or I will be at the mercy of a few insurance company's willing to take business but who will charge vastly inflated premiums.

The Insurance industry in this Country has an extremely poor reputation amongst the general public. The only reason you still have an industry is due to legislation which forces us to do business with you, otherwise I imagine the industry would nearly be out of business. I for one, am fully hoping that a outside body gets involved in looking at the working pratices of Insurance companys and brings in legislation to stop the dubious practices that happen.

Your attitude in your reply to Pookie's post is appalling to say the least. You had a chance to stand out from the crowd and improve your company's image, but it seems your perfectly happy with being seen as worse as theives.

If the restrictions on the OL postcode are lifted or if I ever move to a postcode which isn't restricted, rest assured it is highly unlikely that you will see my business.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 17:04   #123
pookie
Premier Member

tt82. Thank you so much. My original post most have given Chris Knott food for thought as I wrote it in Nov. 2010. I guess they must have been thinking for a reasonable reply since then.

Salut!

Pookie

Last edited by pookie; Feb 14th, 2012 at 19:04.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pookie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 21:00   #124
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Whilst I thank you for your reply. I fully accept that you may not always be able to offer the cheapest qoute. In fact non of my post have mentioned price, the complaints I have read are about service on which you pride yourself. The fact that you will not accept business from certain individuals for a variety of reasons.

I would like to draw attention to Pookie's post and your reply.

To say you are, to quote "perfectly comfortable" with not being able to offer your services to a considerable section of this country is shocking. I know you claim your hands are tied by your underwriters - and whilst I do not know the full in's and out's or brokerage and underwriters - but what steps have you taken to resolve this? Have you contacted other underwriters who may be willing to take on the business, have you attempted to negotiate with your current underwriters to allow the banned postcodes?

Indeed what would you do if these underwriters imposed further restrictions on you? Maybe a low annual mileage cap of 5,000 miles. Cars are not to exceed a value of £5,000. Only drivers over 65 are allowed. Would you still be comfortable after they have excluded the majority of the driving population and left you olny a handfull of people with which you can do business?

I would also like to pose a question to you. You claim your underwriters won't insure people with an OL postcode which they don't like because there is a high incidence of claims in the area. What if other companies followed suit and did the same thing? We could see a situation where I am legally bound to have insurance yet due to where I live no insurance company will take my business or I will be at the mercy of a few insurance company's willing to take business but who will charge vastly inflated premiums.

The Insurance industry in this Country has an extremely poor reputation amongst the general public. The only reason you still have an industry is due to legislation which forces us to do business with you, otherwise I imagine the industry would nearly be out of business. I for one, am fully hoping that a outside body gets involved in looking at the working pratices of Insurance companys and brings in legislation to stop the dubious practices that happen.

Your attitude in your reply to Pookie's post is appalling to say the least. You had a chance to stand out from the crowd and improve your company's image, but it seems your perfectly happy with being seen as worse as theives.

If the restrictions on the OL postcode are lifted or if I ever move to a postcode which isn't restricted, rest assured it is highly unlikely that you will see my business.

The thread as a whole is of no interest to me

But... I have heard some big whispers that a lot of companies are about to raise their costs for certain areas.And by a large amount

I can see many not been able to afford insurance and the whole effect turning

Ugly for people in accidents . Also the Government are "looking into" making us pay (via insurance) for just about everything . They have hired companies to draw up figures etc and see how much they could raise from this

This means we will need to be insured up to the max etc

Had a crash? AMbulance costs , fire service etc will all demand payment etc

Been robbed (house etc) Pay for the police to investigate etc

And also they have been looking into controlling the sales of S/H cars

looks like they want the seller and buyer to pay a cost to cover a MOT type system to ensure the car is Kosher etc and they discover all the "hidden dealers"
These possible changes will bring in huge amounts for the Government and companies

Its looking very bad for car owners
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 22:16   #125
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Well last year I knocked Chris Knott for their utter lack of service so time to report this years events.

I must say I am pleasantly surprised, Chris Knott seem to have got their act together. I got a friendly chap on the end of the phone who gave me a good quote and returned phone calls when he promised to. Net result Chris Knott have secured my business this year and I must compliment Gordon who dealt with my quote.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:41   #126
slingading

I'm quite surprised to see all the negative comments about Chris Knott Insurance on here. I have been an Audi owner for the past 5 years and have used them every year for my insurance, same scenario I was enticed by them being the insurance partner of the VW Audi forums. Not once have they tried 'ripping me off' at renewal time and service has always been excellent, not that I have ever had need to make a claim yet though..... touch wood. The proof is in the pudding though, I'm here because we have traded the Audi in for a Volvo V50 which we pick up at the weekend, hence why I am here, and my wife (main driver) will be calling either today or tomorrow to discuss getting the insurance swapped over and I hope the price will be as reasonable as i's always been on the Audi.
slingading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 19:12   #127
lazyboness
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi to all!

As some of you may know, we are the Volvo Owners Club preferred insurance provider and have been for over 20 years!

We thought we would advertise details of the scheme on this forum so here goes! -

The scheme is for both standard and modified cars with cosmetic changes and bhp increases by no more than 20bhp.

It starts for ages 22 and over for Comprehensive cover and 19+ for TPFT cover, and you must have at least 1 year's NCB – no introductory discounts are allowed.

All drivers must have held a full UK licence for at least 1 year, and to insure a 'performance' car, there must be at least 1 years experience of driving that, or similar bhp, car. Unfortunately, the scheme is not competitive on all M - Manchester, L - Liverpool, OL - Oldham & SK1-12 - Stockport postcodes, and excludes Northern Ireland.

No more than 1 SP/PC/PL conviction offence per driver and no fault claims in the last 12 months.

The minimum premium is £250 so please don’t ring if your quote is less than this!

I'll view the site regularly and try to answer any queries that you have also.

In the meantime, please feel free to call the New Business Team when you receive your renewal through. A dedicated team, with years of experience, is waiting for your call! (I personally don't do the quotes).

0800 917 2274 or 01424 200477 (if phoning by mobile) & please don't forget to quote the reference found in my signature below and the club name!
sorry but what reference do we quote can't see it or missed it
cheers
Tony
lazyboness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:25   #128
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Hi Tony,

Whoever posted that original message obviously didn't realise that you guys have a dedicated phone line. If you call 0800 023 4374 (or 01424 205077) you won't need a reference number - it automatically flags up as coming through VOC.

We look forward to your call.
ChrisKnottIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 14:32   #129
slingading

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingading View Post
I'm quite surprised to see all the negative comments about Chris Knott Insurance on here. I have been an Audi owner for the past 5 years and have used them every year for my insurance, same scenario I was enticed by them being the insurance partner of the VW Audi forums. Not once have they tried 'ripping me off' at renewal time and service has always been excellent, not that I have ever had need to make a claim yet though..... touch wood. The proof is in the pudding though, I'm here because we have traded the Audi in for a Volvo V50 which we pick up at the weekend, hence why I am here, and my wife (main driver) will be calling either today or tomorrow to discuss getting the insurance swapped over and I hope the price will be as reasonable as i's always been on the Audi.

I forgot to post back to say that they didn't let us down. Yet again a very competitive premium, even though the wife forgot to mention the VOC
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:13   #130
gjuk

I just phoned.

27, no ncb, 4 other cars in the house.

v70 t5 with Admiral = £600

These guys wanted £1700 and the lady I spoke to was really grumpy and sounded bored.

I scored them 1/10

Jon
gjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gjuk For This Useful Post: