Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo owners club insurance scheme via chris knott insurance

Views : 197420

Replies : 311

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 21:45   #61
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Hello
I was wondering what the situation was now with yourselves insuring modified vehicles ?
I would say that there are a lot of Volvos on here that aren't completely standard and it's getting difficult to find good companies to cover them.
Another question I have regards the clubs involvement in getting cars valued. I've had Triumphs inspected by experts in the relavant clubs to get agreed valuations etc are you thinking of doing similar ?

When I have enquired about insurance with your company in the past being a member of the club hasn't made any difference to the price. There might not be much you can do with this but I'm sure you could be a lot more helpful to club members especially with modified cars. As you are making a fresh start perhaps you could make a few changes to make insuring with you more attractive to us.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 23:33   #62
minesa240x3
loyalty

So you are?
Very friendly point of contact or just the usual faceless company vieng for our custom.
Sounds all very polished and efficient.They must have not only got rid of tim but all the other first points of contact that I and my wife have had to try and deal with.
I suppose this new person would like dates and times of such conversations so they too can verify if I'm a liar.

I'm not at all interested in this company as I can't see it changing so dramatically so quickly.They are only brokers and the company they put me with have one of the worst feedback ratings on the net.Thanks for that.
I shall not be resubscribing to what little they offer.Fully comprehensive isn't very comprehensive with this company in my experience.More like third party fire and theft.No hire car opr any of the usual add ons.The price is fully comprehensive though.

Please prove me wrong.lets wait for the first forum member brave enough to take on your offer and see just what in reality they get.

You didn't act when Tim was here and insulting me and other members and you still haven't offered a proper apology.Just reread the comments from before and think about that.

Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 00:44   #63
minesa240x3
loyalty

My renewal has landed through the door and after reading it I really don't think you are doing me any favours.Still reading it and as usual it takes some reading.

I'm about to renew this policy for two cars with someone who will give me a better deal.My third car is cheaper to insure with another company than one car with you.Thats less for one car than each individual price on the two cars..I imagine as I want insurance on all three together then I might get a good deal?

Of coarse you don't insure "LIMOUSINES" so not worth troubling you with it.
Tim had a right go at me over asking if you insure limo's.The company who insure this for me say it is no different to a standard saloon?And strange how one limo can be cheaper to insure than one car with you,also standard car.
I'm ok with this.

I can't see anything about a discount for being a voc member?surely as you are a company using the voc as your sales area then a small discount would be the right thing to do.Otherwise go elsewhere.This section is titled"MEMBERS'discounts on parts and services"And if it's included in the quote then please state just what this discount is as it should make the difference as to who I insure with.

So Mr/Mrs whoever? Thanks for letting us all know how much you have changed and how brilliant your going to be.My renewal must have slipped the net and been posted before you changed to the better company.
Regards Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Jul 7th, 2011 at 00:46.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 16:24   #64
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
Hello
I was wondering what the situation was now with yourselves insuring modified vehicles ?
I would say that there are a lot of Volvos on here that aren't completely standard and it's getting difficult to find good companies to cover them.
Another question I have regards the clubs involvement in getting cars valued. I've had Triumphs inspected by experts in the relavant clubs to get agreed valuations etc are you thinking of doing similar ?

When I have enquired about insurance with your company in the past being a member of the club hasn't made any difference to the price. There might not be much you can do with this but I'm sure you could be a lot more helpful to club members especially with modified cars. As you are making a fresh start perhaps you could make a few changes to make insuring with you more attractive to us.
I think the club has a valuation service. I know they used to. We certainly offer Agreed Value policies, generally for cars over 10 years old. You simply need to supply the valuation and 6 good quality printed photos. When your renewal falls due just give us a call and we can talk you through it. We can quote you without seeing the valuation and then you can supply it once you decide to go ahead.
ChrisKnottIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 18:37   #65
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimatChrisKnott View Post
I think the club has a valuation service. I know they used to. We certainly offer Agreed Value policies, generally for cars over 10 years old. You simply need to supply the valuation and 6 good quality printed photos. When your renewal falls due just give us a call and we can talk you through it. We can quote you without seeing the valuation and then you can supply it once you decide to go ahead.
I wasn't aware of this so thanks. I take it that this isn't part of the normal club scheme though.

I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to start a new policy with you as you don't insure modified cars, or at least that was the case last time I asked. Is that still the case ? If it is than a huge portion of the club will have to go elsewhere anyway.

If you value the memebers on here as customers be 'The Volvo Club Insurer' and do it properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 20:10   #66
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I have asked the question before but have, as yet , not received an answer.

How did Chris Knott Insurance come to be the recognised Club Insurer and what exactly is the required criteria for attaining this position.

If, judging by the posts on this forum, there seems to be a tide of dissatisfaction, how does the club open the gates and invite other insurers in to "Give it a go"? Can we do any worse?

It seems to me that irrespective of how many complaints and adverse post's appear on this web site in relation to Chris Knott insurers there appears to be a stoic resistance on their part to adequately address the issues raised or even accept that problems actually exist.

I run a standard S60 D5, am a fully qualified Saga Lout with a clean licence and full no claims bonus. I reside in a low insurance rating area and yet on the two occasions that i have given them a try, Chris Knott's quotes have been nothing short of a joke.

On that basis when are we going to get a change? It is after all OUR CLUB!

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 22:20   #67
minesa240x3
loyalty

Still hiding behind Tim's name I see.No address to my queries?I'm sat here still looking at my renewal and the one from my previouse insurer.No contest but to go back to my trusted and friendly and best of all cheaper insurer.They even give you hire car without having to pay £15.89.They don't however offer you £10 off a second car like chris knott but as I pay the same on both cars through chriss knott then niether do they.

As a club insurer they should be approachable and at least answer our queries.I even suggested they PM anyone with a complaint to save thier laundry being here for all to see but I have no PM.
They can afford to pass up on insuring all three of my cars and my wifes as well.They are all standard cars and have no modifications.I too live in a low rated area my age is high enough but not to high I have nine years no claims,I work full time and have never been unemployed.My license is as clean as the day I got it.

Just not disirable material.

Regards Member from the volvo owners club who shall remain nameless.
Oh dear I forgot my name is on my previouse postings but thats ok as I'm not hiding behind anyone elses name.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:10   #68
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
I wasn't aware of this so thanks. I take it that this isn't part of the normal club scheme though.

I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to start a new policy with you as you don't insure modified cars, or at least that was the case last time I asked. Is that still the case ? If it is than a huge portion of the club will have to go elsewhere anyway.

If you value the memebers on here as customers be 'The Volvo Club Insurer' and do it properly.
An agreed value policy would normally fall within the scope of the club scheme. If it's a classic car policy though, the rates are fixed and we have no manoeuvrability.

As for modifications, we've always been able to cover them but heavy performance modifications are more risky than, say, cosmetically modified cars and the premiums will reflect that. The things that insurers are twitchy about are things like engine conversions/swaps (which they will sometimes accept depending on the overall risk). Each case is assessed on its own merits. However, bhp increases over 50bhp, nitrous and roll-cages are things that they definitely won't accept and we did put that in our post.

Unfortunately, we're never going to be the best for 100% of the membership (no provider can promise that) but we do have a good number of satisfied VOC members (past & present) as clients and continue to sign members up.

Of course members are free to use any company they choose. We simply ask that you include us in the mix when you're looking around.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:15   #69
ChrisKnottIns
Trader

btw - we're hoping our username will change soon. We've asked Admin to sort it.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:32   #70
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

For example, In the case of a Volvo 940. All models in the range are the same in regard brakes and most suspension components. One originally fitted with a non turbo 2.3 engine and then changed for a turbo one with the same capacity. What you now have in essence is a car that Volvo produced.
Why does it then cost more to insure than a 940 turbo that left the factory as such ?
Admittedly if any conversions of this sort are carried out if done badly could be dangerous. Cars originally fitted with a 1 litre engine then suddenly being a 2.0 litre turbo but haven't had brakes and suspension upgraded to suit.

What I am suggesting is that with a bit more specific product knowledge you could help out more. This lack of understanding is the biggest problem with insurance companies.

While I am here perhaps you could explain why roll cages are such a bad thing. Ok drives of Saxos might think they will make their cars faster but for someone who wants to drive a competition car to and from an event it makes things very difficult and expensive. The last thing they would want to do is smash a car up on the way to an event so they are hardly likely to be driving like a fool.

Perhaps there is a job going for someone who can work with yourselves and the club to make it possible to insure all club vehicles properly ?

Hope you don't mind answering a few questions, it's not often you can actually speak to insurance people without sitting on a phone for hours at great expense.