Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Bonnet Release when cable broken

Views : 1415

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 13:43   #1
BritinBG240GLauto

Default V70 Bonnet Release when cable broken

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know I have a collection of Volvos with one of them being a V70 Estate (ex Police Car).

Now awhile ago while driving back from the airport I decided to put the A/C on and then after 10 minutes could smell a rubber burning smell coming inside the car. Needless to say I pulled into a garage on the motorway, pulled up the bonnet to find smoke coming from the A/C area and then right before my eyes "Ping" the Aux belt snapped (it was a new one as well). Now what do I do? Simple try and drive back without the Aux belt on as it does not run the water pump, only the A/C unit, Power Steering Pump and Alternator.

So with that I drove home some 110 miles away down the motorway (we live in South Bulgaria where there is no traffic over here and the motorways are empty) good job it was daylight. Now starting up the car was no problem but on the computer it now read, Reduced Engine performance, Time for Regular Service, Power system failure. Tell me about it talk about heavy Steering!

Anyway good old Volvo got me home no problem and that Battery lasted me all of the way, just didnt use the breaks/light/indicators etc to save the electric in the battery lol.

Right now to takle the job: Guess what the bonnet catch cable snapped when trying to undo it.

So how do you get the bonnet open?

Here is the answer:

What I did is: Remove the front plastic bumper, very easy to do, on the front is Two plastic bump edges one on each corner, just get a flat screw driver and prise them off (push fit with plastic lugs).

When these are removed you will find a bolt inside which once undone releases the front bumper.

Now you need to go to each front wheel and look at the bumper where you will see a metal flat washer bolt with a torque star fitting at the top corner, undo this. At the bottom of the bumper again where the wheel is you will see a black plastic lug underneath, in the middle of this is a plastic pin, push this in and take the lug out.

Do the same the other end, now pull the front bumper away (but remember it is still clipped under the bonnet area, so dont pull away to much)

What you are now looking for is at the front drivers side area where the headlight is. Is a black cable which is just below the headlight right in front of you. This is the bonnet release cable, try giving it a pull and hey presto the bonnet opens, if the cable has snapped when you pull it, it will do one of two things, the outer cable will come away exposing the inner cable where you get some pliers on it and pull, or it will pull the inner cable to open the bonnet.

There you have it, now fitting the NEW cable is another story all together lol

Have added a few pics here as while doing the job thought i might take out the A/C pump as it had seized which resulted in the Aux belt snapping due to it getting hot while trying to go round the pulley. To take the A/C unit out is quite a simple job as first you need to undo the steering pump bracket and move this out of the way (you do not need to disconnet it), then the Alternator which needs to come out followed by the A/C unit. To put it all back without the A/C unit you will need shorter bolts (2 off) as the A/C unit housing is used to secure the Alternator to the engine with its longer bolts. The alternator will go back without the A/C but you just need shorter bolts which I had in the workshop, thankfully. So now she is all put back together without the A/C and a shorter Aux belt (again needed as the original one is now to long).

Now YOUR TURN can anyone help me?

I NOW HAVE 2 MESSAGES see pic below,
Question how do I get rid of them other than taking them to my Volvo Dealer?

Does anyone know or can you buy a reseting/diagnostic tool for this model etc

Thanks in advance

M.D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01797.JPG (139.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01793.JPG (148.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01799.JPG (151.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01825.JPG (134.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01829.JPG (143.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06171.JPG (145.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06175.JPG (140.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01820.JPG (140.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01800.JPG (144.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01803.JPG (156.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01812.JPG (152.1 KB, 33 views)
BritinBG240GLauto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BritinBG240GLauto For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 22:19   #2
Chesterman

May help if you were to specify the model and year of manufacture of your V70.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 18:28   #3
BritinBG240GLauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterman View Post
May help if you were to specify the model and year of manufacture of your V70.
OK very simple 2005 V70 T5 (SPEC EX POLICE CAR) with a/c but if you know about these vehicles all V70 of this shape have the same bonnet release mechanism along with same front end.

M.D
BritinBG240GLauto is offline   Reply With Quote