Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Bumper & plastic trim colour fade & care

Views : 2027

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:48   #1
ChrisWT5

Default 850 Bumper & plastic trim colour fade & care

Hi there - looking for a tip for a problem many of you probably experience. The grey bumper, door trim and tailgate handle trim all look old and dirty on the 850 and after a good wash the only thing to stop the car looking like new. I've tried AutoGlym Bumper Care (green gel) and initial results are superb but last a matter of days. It hides a lot of scratches etc but then after 2/3 days of rain leaves a stained white residue and lookks even worse - what's your opinion??? I know plastics do fade... should I look out for good secondhand bumpers or what? Volvo charge huge prices for new 2-piece front and 1 pce rear bumper for T5.
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:14   #2
Ice Man

Default RE: 850 Bumper & plastic trim colour fade & care

Have you tried good old fashion Back 2 Black areosol.

The tip for using this would be not to wipe it off with a cloth just spray and leave.

IceMan
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:37   #3
ChrisWT5

Default RE: 850 Bumper + plastic trim colour fade + car...

I have tried this but B2B is terrible for paintwork as I believe it contains a lot of silicone(kills paint)and is expensive as the can doesn't last long. AutoGlym bottle lasts years - and personally I think it leaves a newer but less shiny subtle appearance. I do the bumpers after polish so that the residue of wax is removed. BUT the 'B2B TyreSlik' is excellent.....despite the silicone!
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 14:53   #4
Mav_UK

Silicone shouldn't damage paint, it only affects the quality of resprays if the preparation is not up to scratch.

As for the bumper. I use a leather baslm. Sounds odd I know, but if you get a clear baslm, made from natural beeswax or something and apply it using a soft cloth and your finger and rub it into the grain of the plastic. Leave for a few mins then buff it up. It isn't an ultra shiny finish, but brings all the colour back and I found it lasted for a couple of months.

Good Luck

Stu
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 16:56   #5
Coljono

Ive just tried the F1 gel from Halfords.Looks good but I cant say how long it will last. It has also given the rear light clusters a new lease of life as they were looking very weatherbeaten.
Colin
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 17:13   #6
ChrisWT5

Let us know how it lasts! BTW Ive always found a bit of T-Cut followed by Auto Glym Super Resin polish brings clear plastic light clusters up like new. If they are not badly scratched you shouldn't even need the T-Cut. (I use AutoGlym for that because it comes off easily and doesnt fill all the embossed number markings. For paintwork I use Zymol polishes)
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 21:13   #7
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: 850 Bumper & plastic trim colour fade & care

If you search >faded bumpers< #102 in the 850 section from April 2002 you will find loads of suggestions and comments on this subject.

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 22:53   #8
ChrisWT5

Default RE: 850 Bumper &amp; plastic trim colour fade &amp; car...

Brilliant: much appreciated - sorry - as a new member I'm still getting to used to the forum. So did anyone try that Travik 8 stuff?? Or are we still looking for that perfect product?
Old Jan 7th, 2003, 23:49   #9
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: 850 Bumper &amp; plastic trim colour fade &amp; car...

Yes, tried the bumper/trim stuff also tyre dressing, found them good,but I hadn't tried much else prior to them! The bumper stuff went on easily and I didnt find it too shiny. It certainly changed the trim from silvery grey to more like mid to dark, and it sheds water much better. I haven't done it again since, and it still looks okay.

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 20:22   #10
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Type heat gun / bumper fade on youtube!!!

Use a heat gun it heats plastic and brings colour back, then I have read on a few forums that Kiwi leather dye (for shoes) can be used to cover area and lasts awhile....so use the heat gun and then dye it to boot!

Can only find kids leather dye for kids in asda for £1.75....so far cheaper than the expensive stuff....remember to clean surface proper!!!
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote