Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loud hum from engine compartment at 3,200 revs/80 mph

Views : 501

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 13:45   #1
V40onepointeight

Default Loud hum from engine compartment at 3,200 revs/80 mph

I've been a lurker on here for many years and so firstly apologies for not signing up before, and thanks for the many great tips I've used to fix my various Volvos.

I currently have a tidy standard 2001 V40 1.8 petrol with 118,000 miles on the clock. It's been well maintained and flew through the MOT last week with no issues. Runs a little cool (about 87/88) but a fresh thermostat should fix that.

Invariably there's a loud hum from the engine compartment at around 3,200 rpm and a touch over 80 mph. At 84 it's gone, but deceleration down below that and the hum is back, and then it's gone below 82 or so.

There's nothing obviously wrong so I'm just curious to know if anyone else has it or knows what it is. I'd guess airflow or some kind of resonance issue, but it would be nice to know.
V40onepointeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 09:04   #2
flyingtech55

Is the noise present at 3200rpm or is it present at 80mph?

TimR
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 14:55   #3
V40onepointeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
Is the noise present at 3200rpm or is it present at 80mph?

TimR
I took the car for a run this morning and observed it more closely. Revving the engine through 3,200 at lower speeds doesn't produce the same kind of hum. I had a passenger keep an eye on the data from an OBD reader, and the loud hum starts at about 79mph with the revs at 3,200 or so and persists through gradual acceleration to about 83 rpm at around 3,400 revs, then above that speed it immediately disappears. Subsequent deceleration back down the revs and speed range have the hum re-appear until the car is back below the range when it immediately disappears. The run was on a straight, fairly flat road, no inclines or descents. There is no obvious vibration. The hum is loud enough not to want to stay in that range for too long - in fact it acts as a reliable if unintended warning of my speed. I'm more curious than concerned, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 18:45   #4
flyingtech55

If you do 3200rpm in say 3rd gear or 4th gear, do you get the noise?

TimR
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 15:49   #5
V40onepointeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
If you do 3200rpm in say 3rd gear or 4th gear, do you get the noise?

TimR
No, it seems to be just in that narrow range of revs at that speed in 5th.