Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230 starts but dies straight away

Views : 1125

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 01:29   #1
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Default B230 starts but dies straight away

Hi guys, got an issue with my 86 740 with the B230 engine.
Car had been sat for six years or so.
I have given it 20 litres of fresh fuel and while it does start right up, it then dies instantly unless I keep the revs up. I am thinking I have a clogged pilot jet in the carb, does that sound about right? Its been years since I tinkered with a petrol car so please bare with me
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 08:31   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sounds like not enough fuel pressure to me, happened on a mates 940. The intank pump was half dead but the under floor one provided enough go to start, it would misfire like anything below 2000rpm but once the revs were up it would run fine.

I'd check the voltage at the fuel pumps for a start as recently I've been reading that the wiring can oxidise on earths and connections causing a voltage drop by the time it gets to the pump so it doesnt get the right voltage.

As it has been sat for six years the first thing I'd be doing is changing the cambelt, giving it a service and new gaskets etc for the carb then get it running knowing it isn't going to snap the cambelt after 5 minutes.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 10:41   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

It's a carb car, isn't that going to be a mechanical fuel pump like the 360?

My advice is get the carb rebuild. At that age it isn't going to be in good shape. I would doubt it will be anything as simple as a clogged idle jet.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:02   #4
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

I think the carb rebuild is a solid idea.
The car did have a full service including cambelt less than 50 miles before going off the road so miles are on my side if not time.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:34   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You've given it fresh fuel but what about what was in the tank beforehand? Did you empty it out?

Get yourself 2L of meths from Toolstation and add it to the tank.

https://www.toolstation.com/methylated-spirit/p99550

Don't mess around with the little bottles of meths, it'll cost a fortune and one of the little bottles won't be enough. The meths emulsifies with the water (condensation) in the tank enabling the water to be burned off.

Some carbs (in general) fitted to cars in the 80s had what was known as "anti run-on" or "anti-diesel" valves that would cut the supply to the idle jet when the ignition was switched off. If your carb has one of these, that would be the prime suspect if the meths doesn't sort things out - either way the meths will remove the condensation from the tank anyway.

Also worth checking (and possibly renewing) the dizzy cap, rotor and HT leads and plugs. Being a 1986 car, you have the block mounted dizzy so the cap and rotor are cheap and so are the HT leads, plugs will be the same but i'd go for NGK and gap them to 0.65mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GDC201-Di...b/124206094718
Dizzy cap ^^^^^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...4/123996511898
Rotor arm ^^^^^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HT-Leads-...w/233669003159
HT Lead Set ^^^^^ (Yes Luke, they will fit your 360! )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-Spark...l/381665959116
NGK Plugs ^^^^^ later type with resistors to reduce radio interference.

As others have mentioned, definitely renew the timing belt (cheap, easy and about an hours work taking it easy), also renew the antifreeze after giving it a thorough reverse flush and the thermostat too. Don't use OAT coolant (the red stuff), use the proper ethylene glycol concentrated stuff, also worth doing an oil/filter change - semi-synthetic 10W40 and use a genuine Volvo filter, they're cheap enough.

Give the PCV system a thorough clean too, that will help with the idle. Is it a manual or auto choke? Worth checking either way the choke mech on the carb is returning to where it should after starting as it could be flooding.

Also worth renewing the brake fluid, no knowing how bad it is after sitting for 6 years!

Once up and running, other things can be attended to like ATF changes (if auto) or manual box oil change, diff oil change etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 14:18   #6
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Its an auto choke, and its just interesting the way it fires straight up but just dies below 2000rpm. With regards to the tank I will try and work around it as there was no fuel in it when I got it so it must have fired from old fuel in the lines maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 14:41   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Slaughter View Post
Its an auto choke, and its just interesting the way it fires straight up but just dies below 2000rpm. With regards to the tank I will try and work around it as there was no fuel in it when I got it so it must have fired from old fuel in the lines maybe.
I think you'll have to get all the way back to basics with this one and test/check everything including all the ignition - a weak mixture is the hardest to fire and below 2000rpm the spark energy is lower so could easily be ignition related.

*** EDIT *** on a 1986 car, you should have the B23, NOT the B230 and is likely the B23A - could help a lot when finding parts!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 27th, 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Additional information B23A NOT B230
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 15:18   #8
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Heres a preview picture of the old girl, the wheel trims are off a base model 240 I think as they are 14” and are the only bits not standard on the car.

Last edited by Ross Slaughter; Sep 27th, 2020 at 15:31.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 15:48   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I belive the 240 wheel trims were carried over to the 740, which model is it as i can see rear headrests?

Meant to ask, have you got an underbonnet pic at all please?

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 16:07   #10
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Only this one as the bonnet is now stuck again