Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery Expired

Views : 2467

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2015, 22:40   #1
Davey240

Default Battery Expired

The original Volvo battery on my 2002 S40 has finally give up the ghost! . I've now replaced it with a Varta Type 096 for £67 delivered but i bet it won't last as long as the Volvo one. Just wondering if anyone can beat 12 years on the same battery.? Cheers Dave.
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 23:19   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Mine is 13 years old and still original.
It's knackered though and still starts the car but I wouldn't trust it if the engine didn't fire first time.
It's being replaced shortly with a Genuine Volvo battery again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 23:36   #3
stephend
Premier Member

The battery on my 740 hasn't been replaced since I got the car in 2006. It's still going strong despite having been flattened once when the alternator packed up, and again shortly afterwards when idiot boy here left an interior light switched on for two days. It's not Volvo or Varta or anything like that - I can't even remember the brand, but it looked like an el cheapo...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:05   #4
m0eeb

Default 13 Years

Wifes Honda Civic same battery from new 13 years ago and still going strong!!
m0eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m0eeb For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:54   #5
Austin160
Master Member

Default Battery expired.

There is no doubt that even the premium brand batteries ( inc. Varta) will not last anything like as long as the batteries used during the car's manufacture - these originals frequently exceeding 10 years service life.
I think you have chosen as well as you can with Varta ( used as OE with Jaguar I believe), and my rule of thumb with buying batteries is always to buy batteries with at least 4 years guarantees. Some have as low as one year and you would expect them to be a lot cheaper, but by shopping around (generally Internet) you will often find 4 or 5 year guarantee ones for not that much more. How long they will last beyond the guarantee period? Seldom 10 years I would guess! Now there is a question - what is the longest lived replacement battery still giving trouble free service?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 17:16   #6
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Guarantee is just a sensible minimum expectancy, as the fade-off of standard lead acid battery power is on a shallowing curve, but as they are a perishable item, longer warranties will need bigger safety margins, so for example a 3yr warranty batt might be manufactured to last 3.6 years, 4yr to last 4.8 years, 5yr to last 6.5 years. However if it's flattened it'll die quicker, and a bigger capacity battery is harder to flatten, so that also adds to the longevity.

I've always gone for a 5yr battery, since the one time I didn't, it died after 3 yrs 2 months

You can get decent batteries from breakers' yards for a few quid, I'm told. If it's a high power batt, then probably a good shout to save cash on a short term purchase.

Worth noting that marine/deep cycle batteries don't die when flattened, that's why they cost more.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 18:55   #7
Austin160
Master Member

Default Battery expired

Good advice regarding buying 5 year guarantee batteries I think. Lead acid is however now long since old hat as I understand. Indeed the "intelligent alternator" system used on some of the modern cars now require specific technology batteries, if costly alternator problems are to be avoided. Unfortunately, it might no longer be a case of just getting the largest battery you can from a scrap yard and fitting it in and all will be well.
Anyone claiming say more than 6 years trouble free battery life from a replacement battery?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 23:04   #8
Davey240

Thanks for all your replies guys. I agree that it's doubtful my new varta battery will last twelve years like the original volvo one but then again it's doubtful that the car will either. I got a bigger battery than the one recommended (its a type 096 and just about fits in the tray) so hopefully it will give me good service and it has a four year warranty. Cheers Dave.
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:54   #9
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Unfortunately, it might no longer be a case of just getting the largest battery you can from a scrap yard and fitting it in and all will be well.
Anyone claiming say more than 6 years trouble free battery life from a replacement battery?
By large I mean capacity not physical size. All the Bosch S3/S4/S5 range are identical physical dimensions, but presumably with bigger cells in the larger capacity S4/5 models? As I recall,
more cells = more voltage
deeper cells = more mAH

(hence "deep cycle")

I have a feeling 096 is what fits in the van, if so that is a lot bigger than the S40/V40 size! Amazed it fits actually
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 19:10   #10
Cymro1986

Ive got a 096 in mine. it replaced a fairly new 076 that wouldnt turn the car over in the cold.

Lucky enough the 076 was still under guarantee, so just up-scaled to the 096.

Now the car doesnt even think it just starts. lol

On the battery tray. the 76 is second clip point in and the 096 is the last clip in point.