Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another year, another MOT

Views : 684

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2017, 17:11   #1
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Default Another year, another MOT

My MY2011 V70 D3 has passed another MOT. It's 7 years old and has done 106k miles.

In those 7 years I've not had to replace anything apart from trailing arm bushes, brake parts, tyres and bulbs. I'm quite pleased with that.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 17:19   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

A good promotion for the reliability of these Ford era models who some people dismiss far too easily as not being 'Volvo's' and claim not to be as reliable as pre Ford models.

Mine is a similar story, a 2009 car, bought in 2012 with 86K on it. I had some warranty work done (Front spring strut mount and Drivers door window controller), but in the 5 years I've owned it, it's now on 190K and I've not had to do anything but consumables which would be expected of any car with similar age/mileage.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 17:22   #3
tommyweaves
Premier Member

tt82, that's what I thought. Not had to do any of the expected stuff like CV gaiters, ball joints, track rod ends, bushes, drop links, bearings, shocks.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 19:12   #4
GrantA
Master Member

Mine is the same, I have had it for 5 years and apart from one wheel bearing last year it has run like a train (not sure that is a good analogy these days) all it has needed has been the usual consumables and brake pads and discs all round a couple of years ago. Mine only has 86,000 miles on the clock so is hardly run-in compared to some Volvo models of the same year. Also with a private plate, unless you are a bit of an expert, it is difficult to tell the age of the car as I keep it clean and polished inside and out - I am retired so have time on hands.

Last edited by GrantA; Oct 11th, 2017 at 19:15.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 19:22   #5
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Mine is the same, I have had it for 5 years and apart from one wheel bearing last year it has run like a train (not sure that is a good analogy these days) all it has needed has been the usual consumables and brake pads and discs all round a couple of years ago. Mine only has 86,000 miles on the clock so is hardly run-in compared to some Volvo models of the same year. Also with a private plate, unless you are a bit of an expert, it is difficult to tell the age of the car as I keep it clean and polished inside and out - I am retired so have time on hands.
I keep mine clean and tidy too, comes up like new every time, especially the interior.

In time I'm sure I'll have to do clutch, master cylinders, bushes etc. but those are to be expected. My biggest worry for the next seven years is the DPF/EGR
components that appear to have plagued the P2 diesels.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 20:01   #6
Frank B

I bought a 2008 V70 Gen 3 D5 SE Lux auto (185bhp) @5000 miles in 2009 and have just sold it to a friend @131000 miles. Consumables + trailing arm bushes, 1 central door locking motor and replacement pump for electric boot Regular oil changes and gearbox oil changed twice, Great car and still missing it especially the perforated cooled seats

. Getting used to 2016 XC70 D5 AWD auto, hope it will be as good, leather seats not a patch on the old ones. Goes like stink though ! and better on fuel
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank B For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 20:07   #7
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
I bought a 2008 V70 Gen 3 D5 SE Lux auto (185bhp) @5000 miles in 2009 and have just sold it to a friend @131000 miles. Consumables + trailing arm bushes, 1 central door locking motor and replacement pump for electric boot Regular oil changes and gearbox oil changed twice, Great car and still missing it especially the perforated cooled seats

. Getting used to 2016 XC70 D5 AWD auto, hope it will be as good, leather seats not a patch on the old ones. Goes like stink though ! and better on fuel
I think regular oil changes and correct oil spec. are critical on the 5 cylinder D5/D3/D4. Your 2016 replacement has the new 4 cylinder D5 I assume? I'd be interested to know how that compares to the previous 5 cylinder motors in terms of noise and smoothness given that you can make a direct comparison from experience.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 17:41   #8
Frank B

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
I think regular oil changes and correct oil spec. are critical on the 5 cylinder D5/D3/D4. Your 2016 replacement has the new 4 cylinder D5 I assume? I'd be interested to know how that compares to the previous 5 cylinder motors in terms of noise and smoothness given that you can make a direct comparison from experience.
No its the 2400cc 5 cylinder, that was why I went for it rather than wait for a V90at a price I could afford. Feels smoother than the old car but not a great difference. Oil always correct spec Castrol and changed every 6 months which was about 7500 miles
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 17:45   #9
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
No its the 2400cc 5 cylinder, that was why I went for it rather than wait for a V90at a price I could afford. Feels smoother than the old car but not a great difference.
Oh, I thought the latter V70s had the new 4 cyl motors. Or was that just the D4 (181) and not the D5?
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 20:28   #10
Frank B

The inconsistency in Volvo's engine designation is totally confusing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank B For This Useful Post: