Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tpms

Views : 4164

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2022, 15:24   #1
Thespannerman

Default Tpms

Sorry guys, more newby questions

Does, or should the tpms system show the actual tyre pressures. My old discovery did.

I have tried setting the system and it shows green circles against all 4 wheels, but no pressures showing.

If it doesn’t, does the system just use the reference pressure and notify you if it differs by a certain amount.

Cheers
Al
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 16:30   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespannerman View Post
Sorry guys, more newby questions

Does, or should the tpms system show the actual tyre pressures. My old discovery did.

I have tried setting the system and it shows green circles against all 4 wheels, but no pressures showing.

If it doesn’t, does the system just use the reference pressure and notify you if it differs by a certain amount.

Cheers
Al

I pretty sure it only tells you that attention is required when a pressure drops on a tyre.
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 16:42   #3
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I pretty sure it only tells you that attention is required when a pressure drops on a tyre.
Correct, there is no provision for measuring actual tyre pressure. The system relies on the rotational speed of the wheels using the abs sensors (I think)
Early Volvos had the special (expensive) valves which did measure the pressures. Unforunately the bluetooth or whatever connection from the wheel to the car interfered with other systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 17:13   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
The system relies on the rotational speed of the wheels using the abs sensors (I think)
That's correct.
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 17:57   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

As above, you will get a warning message come up on the driver display if any tyre pressure drops. Or indeed if they go too high, I once had this when driving on a long run on a very hot day, the tyre pressure were a few psi high, I have had two warnings of low pressure, one was a rapid deflation puncture and and the other a slow puncture after picking up a screw in the tyre.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 15th, 2022 at 18:03.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 18:34   #6
key76

It's utter crap quite frankly. Every car I have owned since 2003 has had "proper" TPMS that shows the pressures. But Volvo seem to think it's acceptable to cut corners and save money (for them) by putting an inferior system in.

Even my wife's Ford Fiesta will show the pressures, but not a £50k+ so called premium car.

Very petty I know, but one of the many reasons this will be my first and last Volvo.
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 18:47   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
It's utter crap quite frankly. Every car I have owned since 2003 has had "proper" TPMS that shows the pressures. But Volvo seem to think it's acceptable to cut corners and save money (for them) by putting an inferior system in.

Even my wife's Ford Fiesta will show the pressures, but not a £50k+ so called premium car.

Very petty I know, but one of the many reasons this will be my first and last Volvo.
I think tyre pressure monitoring is only important with runflat tyres .

Ordinary tyres are a driver responsibility, then again, I’m a dinosaur.
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 19:12   #8
OldEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post

These systems you like have corroding sensors and are hell to deal with in tyre repairs. The better Volvo rotational system is exactly what the major safety systems use. So ABS can measure as low as 1MPH difference (although TPMS is not set this low). Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control are major safety systems comparing rotational speeds.

The Volvo TPMS allows you to set a control pressure and then monitors changes from this control pressure
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 19:36   #9
BigBugger

I thought the same, I picked up my 2019 XC90 a couple of weeks ago, my previous Santa Fe gave actual pressures, and they were accurate too.
BigBugger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBugger For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 22:15   #10
Thespannerman

Ok cheers. Yes a bit disappointing on a premium car not to have actual pressures shown. Another Volvo quirk fir me to have to get used to

Al