Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Calliper sliders

Views : 608

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 21:02   #1
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Default Brake Calliper sliders

Hi all.

Got a very disconcerting grinding noise from the front near side of my 96 sport this afternoon so jacked up the car to look over the front breaks. I had checked the outside pad visually last week so didn't expect it to be thin pads. I noticed only the top half of the calliper seemed to be moving and this was backed up by the way the pads looked to be wearing. It turned out that in actual fact the centre section of my inside pad has broken away and inside face of the disc looks like the surface of the moon.

Shocking as I have just done a 1000 mile round trip to Germany which of course means Autobahn fun.

New discs and pads on there way. My attention has fallen on the sliders. The top one pulled out easily but the bottom one was stuck rock solid and quite squashed looking. The boot on the lower one is split and its as rusty as a montego in side the boot.

Are these supposed to just pull out like the top ones do. The haynes manual is being its usual vague self.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 21:33   #2
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi
we met at the b.k.v. in the rain stood by your impresive car . i had my first problem with one of my sliders a few weeks ago . the nearside bottem slider was stuck solid i removed the rubber sleave and a few goog sprays of wd 40
i got my large mole grips to lock onto the square end more spraying then it slowly became free but still tight . i gave it plenty of force and it came free . then a good cleaning to the pin and i removed all the wd 40 . .ive read you shoud use silocon brake grease or copper ease . i decided to use hilti grease . i have copper slip but no silocon grease . i will be removeing wheel to check if o k i have to replace my dust gaurds as they have turned to rust . not easy as disks and hub have to come off the hub nut is 36 mm very big .
o i hope the slider does not fail . there where 2 on ebay recently
good luck
j.p. liddy
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 21:41   #3
gpl1968
VOC Member

The guide pins should slide easily to allow free movement of the caliper body.
If the rubber bellows have split, water could have got in causing rusting and the resultant damage leading to siezure.
When I refrubished my calipers last year I packed the caliper guides with copper grease and have haven't had any problems yet.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:37   #4
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Copaslip or Copper Ease

The above were the usual treatment for FIAT sliders when I was a FIAT person.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 08:31   #5
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

If the sliders are a real concern you can get replacements here along with other caliper rebuilding parts:

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org....578_Volvo.html

and also at

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...t.php?cPath=52
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 16:37   #6
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Thanks guys.

I tapped my buddy at Volvo up earlier over it and he got my a complete slider kit both sides for a pretty reasonable price.

GPL 1968

I happen to have a set of spare callipers and carriers. The ones on my car are pretty grubby (much like the rest of the underside of my car, It always surprises me how grotty everything is compared to other 940's with infinitely more miles on, that I have owned) under the red paint. Whats involved in stripping them is it quite easy? If so I might get and do it.

Cheers
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 19:39   #7
gpl1968
VOC Member

To get all the rust/crud off the calipers prior to painting I used an air powered die grinder with various carbide burrs(bought cheaply on ebay), flap wheels and wire brushes.
It was a dirty job but quite simple to do.
If you have access to a sand/shot blaster, that might simplify the task.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]

Last edited by gpl1968; Jul 5th, 2011 at 19:41.
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote