Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM-1C02 charging issue electrical service

Views : 1113

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: whats the cause
main alternator 0 0%
regulator 0 0%
cabling 0 0%
battery 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 19:03   #1
justyjust

Angry CEM-1C02 charging issue electrical service

hi people

i been struggling the last couple of days to get my xc90 running, the past couple of weeks my mrs has been driving and the battery light has appeared and gone away so i just thought it could be just the battery going as its winter now and shes been using the heated seat.

well got a call the other day car battery died she needed a jump start, got her jumped and started straigh away.

it was getting late so i thought i just buy a battery and return it if its not the case, well got back home after buying the battery i tested the alternator with a multimeter, it was working so i changed the battery.

started it again then voltage started getting high 16v then dropped to 12v, so i thought it was the regulator so i checked it and removed it. the brushes seem pretty warn one being very low, so i thought this was the cause of the high low voltage so i ordered a new one.

i installed the new regulator i ordered from ebay guess what didn't work at first so i run it and it started working pumping out 14v and above to 15v,after a drive the red lights back on checked the voltage its dropped down again to 12v. im lost what to do now im just thinking it could be the alternator or a faulty cable any ideas.

I have a dice but im new to it and unsure if there is anyway of diagnose it through it??? also the aux belt seems pretty tight and alternator is turning well.

can anyone help.. thanks
justyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 18:01   #2
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyjust View Post
hi people

i been struggling the last couple of days to get my xc90 running, the past couple of weeks my mrs has been driving and the battery light has appeared and gone away so i just thought it could be just the battery going as its winter now and shes been using the heated seat.

well got a call the other day car battery died she needed a jump start, got her jumped and started straigh away.

it was getting late so i thought i just buy a battery and return it if its not the case, well got back home after buying the battery i tested the alternator with a multimeter, it was working so i changed the battery.

started it again then voltage started getting high 16v then dropped to 12v, so i thought it was the regulator so i checked it and removed it. the brushes seem pretty warn one being very low, so i thought this was the cause of the high low voltage so i ordered a new one.

i installed the new regulator i ordered from ebay guess what didn't work at first so i run it and it started working pumping out 14v and above to 15v,after a drive the red lights back on checked the voltage its dropped down again to 12v. im lost what to do now im just thinking it could be the alternator or a faulty cable any ideas.

I have a dice but im new to it and unsure if there is anyway of diagnose it through it??? also the aux belt seems pretty tight and alternator is turning well.

can anyone help.. thanks
Are you using genuine Volvo parts? I have heard of this sort of thing when people buy cheap alternators, regulators etc.. off ebay.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 18:11   #3
justyjust

I did buy a cheap replacement regulator. Where can I get a original one from? I'm in the uk thanks the problem im getting is a low voltage reading _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited by justyjust; Dec 14th, 2015 at 18:26.
justyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 18:29   #4
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyjust View Post
I did buy a cheap replacement regulator. Where can I get a original one from? I'm in the uk thanks the problem im getting is a low voltage reading Attachment 91915
99% of us here are in the UK . Have you asked your local Volvo dealership? It may not make a difference but when it comes to the electrical side of things I think using manufacturer recommended parts is best. Buy cheap, pay twice!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 19:46   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I assume your alternator is Bosch so just get the part number and contact a Bosch stockist...... or the other equivalent if it's another make.

Tags
alternator, electrical, electrical issues, regulator