Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red triangle POWER SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT

Views : 11925

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2016, 11:23   #1
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Unhappy Red triangle POWER SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT

I cleaned the throttle body and inlet mani on my '09 plate C30 2.0D on wednesday as per this guide http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241.

Took her out a day later and about a mile up the road I get this error message

Couple of questions:
I've read the fault is something to do with the alternator? Any thoughts?

Could any of the cleaning I did affect the alternator? or anything else cause this error message?

Lastly is it still okay to drive? It's booked in for diagnostics on tuesday morning but I've got to work monday and have errands in the meantime?

Last edited by oneilldom; Jan 1st, 2016 at 12:05.
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 11:26   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

most likely your alternator is not charging so you are running just on the battery which will soon be flat .. As you have a 2litre diesel ,if you leave the battery flat for long the ECU can loose it's security codes , so a tow to the dealer to have the software re loaded as well as a new alternator .
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 11:48   #3
AndyMcc

There's a rubber pipe that fits on the throttle body which you pull off if completely removing it. Has this come off ? If so it would give this message.

Andy
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyMcc For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 12:01   #4
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
most likely your alternator is not charging so you are running just on the battery which will soon be flat .. As you have a 2litre diesel ,if you leave the battery flat for long the ECU can loose it's security codes , so a tow to the dealer to have the software re loaded as well as a new alternator .
Clan thanks for the info, from what I've read you can get the error while alternator is putting out less volts than normal so may not be completely on battery but warning heeded. I'll leave it where it is.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 12:03   #5
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcc View Post
There's a rubber pipe that fits on the throttle body which you pull off if completely removing it. Has this come off ? If so it would give this message.

Andy
Andy,

Pipe was detached and re-attached when cleaning. What is the pipe for and why does it cause the error message? I will go out to re-check it now but checked it yesterday when pulled over when first saw warning and looked to be okay. Thanks

EDIT: Thinking about it, the little rubber pipe is a vaccuum pipe operating the valve/damper/flap whatever you want to call it, isn't it? How would this affect the alternator?

Last edited by oneilldom; Jan 1st, 2016 at 12:13.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 12:12   #6
AndyMcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
Andy,

Pipe was detached and re-attached when cleaning. What is the pipe for and why does it cause the error message? I will go out to re-check it now but checked it yesterday when pulled over when first saw warning and looked to be okay. Thanks
I think it's a vacuum pipe, sure somebody will.know exactly what it does. The reason I said that was because I had the same with mine when cleaned it last year, forgot to reattach it and got a warning message on the dash. Turned the car off, reattached and it went away. Worth a check I suppose.
Have also had the same when my alternator packed in. Unlucky to have cleaned the throttle body and then get an unrelated issue. Good luck

Andy
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 13:19   #7
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcc View Post
I think it's a vacuum pipe, sure somebody will.know exactly what it does. The reason I said that was because I had the same with mine when cleaned it last year, forgot to reattach it and got a warning message on the dash. Turned the car off, reattached and it went away. Worth a check I suppose.
Have also had the same when my alternator packed in. Unlucky to have cleaned the throttle body and then get an unrelated issue. Good luck

Andy
So went out and checked the vacuum pipe, still attached with no signs of damage. Car is now completely dead no battery life whatsoever. Bo***cks!
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 13:26   #8
volvo for ever
Premier Member

altanator and ecm reload then im afraid,,you shouldnt have let battery run flat its now lost security immobiliser codes now trip to volvo garage is next

Last edited by volvo for ever; Jan 1st, 2016 at 13:32.
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 13:34   #9
oneilldom

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
altanator and ecm reload then im afraid,,you shouldnt have let battery run flat its now lost security immobiliser codes now trip to volvo garage is next
What does this mean, when I turn it back on the steering wheel will remain immobilised?

Great start to the year so far!
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 13:56   #10
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
Just changed my totally dead battery and no problems.
You should leave for 5 mins after switching off to change battery to allow for codes to be stored.

Tags
alternator, c30, c30 alternator, power system, service