Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie. Xc60 Purchase

Views : 1853

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2019, 15:13   #1
jwed

Default Newbie. Xc60 Purchase

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase an auto XC60 and have been through the quandary of FWS vs AWD etc.
I think I've decided on the robust 2.4 D5 220bhp for that bit extra poke as I couldnt convince myself that the 2.0 FWD would be equally as durable (as it's not proven yet?)

I always keep my cars well maintained and run them until they are no longer viable.

SO....

My budget will get me a 2015/2016 XC60 with upto around 100k on the clock - but this gives me some concerns. I've been doing my research and as far as I can understand... whist the car may have 'Full Main Dealer' history - that means it won't have had the HALDEX fluid changed at any point during its life (unless something has already gone awry and has been replaced).
I think the transmission fluid is part of the service intervals (so this should have been changed regularly?)

SO, when I find the right one I'm thinking of getting the Haldex fluid changed immediately - but will the damage already be done?

What other fluid changes are recommended (which don't form start of the main dealer service routine)?

What is the best Midlands Volvo independent? I've made an enquiry with Hallam & Sutherns in Derbyshire and they seemed quite knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance.

James
jwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 15:15   #2
edmoss

Can't help with the technical stuff but Pye Volvo in Birmingham have looked after me well for years..
edmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edmoss For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 17:13   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Firstly I would say that unless you have decided that you need AWD the 2.0 D4 VEA FWD is a durable option and as reliable as the D5 AWD - I have owned both. The D4 FWD VEA versions are the only cars to have the later, smoother 8-speed auto (vs 6 speed).

But to some extent the FWD variants are cars on stilts, the AWD's are proper 4x4's.

If you do get one with 70k or more on it get it booked in to a good Indie and get the gearbox oil changed (assuming auto) and haldex fluid replaced. If you are being really pedantic then the diff and transfer box fluid as well though these aren't as critical (no clutches in them). The transmission fluid for "domestic" use cars is not part of the Volvo service schedule but many on here believe that it should be and other manufacturers that use the AISIN Warner gearboxes do include it in their schedules (Jaguar, Land Rover etc.). The haldex's are very reliable so you shouldn't worry.

Also check the software updates have been done - I recently bought a 2015 XC60 with full dealer history and I've since discovered it's likely never had any software updates done.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 20th, 2019 at 17:18.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 19:25   #4
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Firstly I would say that unless you have decided that you need AWD the 2.0 D4 VEA FWD is a durable option and as reliable as the D5 AWD - I have owned both. The D4 FWD VEA versions are the only cars to have the later, smoother 8-speed auto (vs 6 speed).

But to some extent the FWD variants are cars on stilts, the AWD's are proper 4x4's.

If you do get one with 70k or more on it get it booked in to a good Indie and get the gearbox oil changed (assuming auto) and haldex fluid replaced. If you are being really pedantic then the diff and transfer box fluid as well though these aren't as critical (no clutches in them). The transmission fluid for "domestic" use cars is not part of the Volvo service schedule but many on here believe that it should be and other manufacturers that use the AISIN Warner gearboxes do include it in their schedules (Jaguar, Land Rover etc.). The haldex's are very reliable so you shouldn't worry.

Also check the software updates have been done - I recently bought a 2015 XC60 with full dealer history and I've since discovered it's likely never had any software updates done.
I whole heartedly concur with the above; from my experience relating to my ownership of a VEA XC60. With the exception of the free EGR fix I have had no issues from new, with now 106k on the clock. I average 20k per year and it has to work hard. I tow heavy loads throughout the summer and have never found it wanting for grip. Plenty of power and sublime comfort. Main dealer serviced from new with gearbox oil changed ever 2 years. Speaking of which the Aisin 8 speed is a peach. This was my first Volvo and based on this experience will probably not be my last. This car compares extremely favourably to my previous BMW 5 Series 2.5 6 cylinder which from new was a main dealer serviced money pit with a catalogue of expensive failures and yet being put to exactly the same use. The XC60 VEA has been first class in every respect.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 19:34   #5
jwed

Default Thank you

Thanks for the advice guys.
I just liked the idea of the AWD and the extra poke.

You've confirmed what I thought.

Do all of the 2.0 FWD variants have the 8 speed auto?

Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 19:36   #6
jwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

Any recommendations for independents? Thanks

Last edited by jwed; Dec 20th, 2019 at 19:37. Reason: .
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 20:48   #7
HDAV
Master Member

How important is fuel consumption? The D5 AWad will eat quite a bit more fuel than the D4 FWD.........

As for it being a “proper” 4wd.......... not so sure about that..... no diff locks, no low range, no HDC......

The transmission fluid is unlikely to have been changed as part of scheduled servicing and check the latest belt replacement times as they have been revised from release on some engines.

Should be plenty to choose from as the last of the mk1 units are coming up on 3 years old so will be available ex lease, company car and traded in for new models there were some good service offers on the run out models so may even find some with remaking service plans 5yr service is a biggy iirc.

While the D5 motors May be legendary it’s also pretty old tech...... one advantage of the VEA D4 is it’s one of the very few euro 6 engines that doesn’t require ad blue........
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 21:29   #8
jwed

Default Awd

AWD isn't critical but is a nice to have.
The car would be the wife's for a couple of hrs doing only about 6k per Yr. After that I'd be putting 30k a Yr on it commuting and want something pretty bulletproof as would intend on running it for in excess of 250k before changing - so that's why the bulletproof nature of the 2.4 is appealing. Yes, it will burn £££s more in fuel over its lifetime but I've really no interest in it being euro 6 - I'd run until the egr fails then have it blanked off and coded out if it was the 2.0d.

Really appreciate the responses and experience being shared on here. Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 21:35   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwed View Post
Thanks for the advice guys.
I just liked the idea of the AWD and the extra poke.

You've confirmed what I thought.

Do all of the 2.0 FWD variants have the 8 speed auto?

Thanks
the extra poke is to compensate for the extra weight and transmission drag so very little difference in the everyday performance ..
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 21:58   #10
jwed

Oooo that's interesting.
I guess with the FWD my worries about haldex & diff go away.
Maybe the FWD with the auto is the right way to go then....
Do all 2015/2016 FWD 2.0 autos have the 8 speed box as standard?

Tags
awd, haldex, xc60