Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SELEKT Purchase - MOT advisory on tyre

Views : 2659

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2022, 17:42   #11
garethXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I believe (happy to be corrected) that the Selekt criteria for tyres is limited to them having at least 1.3mm of tread remaining.

As tyre condition was raised on the MOT test report I would be pushing to have them replaced prior to purchase. If the dealer won't play ball then walk away - he may acquiesce rather than lose a sale.

Good luck.
and the legal limit for the UK is...?
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garethXC For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 17:52   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

They knock off the cost of replacing tyres on a car from part exchange price when you sell them your car if there is low tread depth or other problems, I bet the person who part exchanged the car took a hit, they want their cake and eat it.

Insist on new tyres or a reduced price for the car to cover the cost of replacements, they do sound like a dealer I would not want to buy from.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 18:25   #13
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethXC View Post
and the legal limit for the UK is...?
Oops. Sorry, I meant to type '3mm'...

I have updated my post to reflect this.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 18:37   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

dont loose a car for the price of tires offer to pay for one and the dealer the other . simples
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 18:37   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
Suggest is not a case of being concerned - the car is legal and passed its MOT; it is a very competitive market. Do you really like the car? How easy/soon will you get another opportunity to buy? If you budget £400 on top of the asking price for 2 new tyres is it still a reasonable deal? Factor in the cost of your time looking for another when you could be spending it driving this one!
I accept what you say but select is probably £5,000 more expensive. It absolutely should not come with tyres that have an advisory.

XC90 like mine for 10k and needing 2 tyres yes. Not when you are paying 30k plus.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 19:14   #16
smsshahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I accept what you say but select is probably £5,000 more expensive. It absolutely should not come with tyres that have an advisory.

XC90 like mine for 10k and needing 2 tyres yes. Not when you are paying 30k plus.
That's my thinking as well. I am paying a premium for SELEKT purely for the quality assurance that it's supposed to provide. If an MOT advisory doesn't matter, how credible is the 150 point check.
smsshahid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smsshahid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 19:30   #17
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsshahid View Post
That's my thinking as well. I am paying a premium for SELEKT purely for the quality assurance that it's supposed to provide. If an MOT advisory doesn't matter, how credible is the 150 point check.
That’s the key issue. If you’re paying a premium, you expect everything to be perfect (or close to). Otherwise, just pop to any car supermarket and pick a bargain.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 19:30   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I have nothing against selekt, and I would not have a concern buying through them.

My local selekt dealer vehicles are as brand new and basically immaculate.

But be under no illusion, you pay thousands and thousands for the privilege. I would buy else where.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 20:24   #19
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

And also, why are the tyres perishing at 3 years old? I find that a bit odd too.......

My 6 year old 131k mile XC90 has today passed it's MOT with no advisories. That is how it should be.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 21:43   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am in the process of buying a used late 2018 XC60 D4 Inscription under the SELEKT programme.

The car went through inspection and MOT this week in readiness for collection. The inspection report from the dealer has highlighted that the two rear tyres need attention soon. They have an average depth of 3.6mm and 4 mm.

VCheck report has actually highlighted two MOT advisories:

1. Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing tyre wearing on edges (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
2. Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing tyre wearing on edges (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Dealer is insisting that the tyre meets SELEKT criteria and they wont be replacing the tyres. Am I right to be concerned?

Criteria for SELEKT Check regarding tyres

Condition, check for any uneven wear and correct pressure
of tyres (including spare if fitted)
Replace tyre if depth is less than 3 mm across 90% of the
tyre tread surface (including spare if fitted)
Correct tyre size, brand and specification fitted. Must have
matching tyre brands across axle (record below)

Tags
mot advisory, selekt, xc60 d4 awd 5 cylinder