Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 Stiff Brake Pedal

Views : 1137

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 12:41   #1
key76

Default S90 Stiff Brake Pedal

After leaving the car standing for a while (it was several days the brake pedal would stiffen, so when getting in and pressing it to start the car you felt like you had to stomp on it.

I've had this before in other cars, so not too worried.

However, over time it has become so that it's like that after only a day of not driving it.

Is this normal?

Car was in for 2nd service only 2 weeks ago so assume they would have picked up any issues.

Brakes perform fine, it's just the stiffening of the pedal when not being driven that is getting more frequent.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 14:14   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Sounds like a classic case of servo vacuum being lost making pedal hard to push, once engine is running the vacuum returns and brings things back to normal.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 14:48   #3
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Sounds like a classic case of servo vacuum being lost making pedal hard to push, once engine is running the vacuum returns and brings things back to normal.
Correct. As soon as I start engine all is well instantly. But should it lose the vacuum almost daily? And is it anything that should be looked at sooner rather than later?

Brakes when in use feel fine and no concerns at all with that side of things.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 15:01   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It should not lose vacuum, it requires checking out, I doubt it will cause any problems in short term but I would not leave it too long before getting it checked.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 15:23   #5
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I have had the same occur on a few occasions. First time it happened was last year. When the car went in for it's 2nd service I mentioned the hard brake pedal randomly happening on start up, so they made a note of it. On collection the technician told me everything checked out fine and they could find no fault. Since then it has happened maybe half a dozen times, however the brakes perform flawlessly, so I tend not to worry.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317580
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 16:12   #6
key76

I'll ask them to look next time I need to go into dealer. I have a big (3k miles) trip in the autumn so definitely want it checked before that just in case as I'll be miles away from nearest dealer if anything goes wrong on the trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 17:31   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
After leaving the car standing for a while (it was several days the brake pedal would stiffen, so when getting in and pressing it to start the car you felt like you had to stomp on it.

I've had this before in other cars, so not too worried.

However, over time it has become so that it's like that after only a day of not driving it.

Is this normal?

Car was in for 2nd service only 2 weeks ago so assume they would have picked up any issues.

Brakes perform fine, it's just the stiffening of the pedal when not being driven that is getting more frequent.
They won't look at it as part of a service, you'd need to ask them.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 17:37   #8
key76

It’s not much of a service if they don’t check brake function, and I’d consodwr a vacuum leak something they should have noticed.

I’ll call then when I have time to take it in as things are fine (or sooner if things deteriorate).
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 20:22   #9
EssexExile
Master Member

Surely for a service they do what's on the service schedule, nothing more. If they tested the brakes an hour or two after you took it in they wouldn't experience the problem.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 21:06   #10
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Surely for a service they do what's on the service schedule, nothing more. If they tested the brakes an hour or two after you took it in they wouldn't experience the problem.
No, but if it is a leak on the servo, that would be easy to spot/test for I assume.

Oh well, just means another trip back - at least my work has a site 20 mins walk from the dealer so I can work from there if I have to leave it all day.