Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights - Active high beam vs Adaptive Shadow Technology

Views : 31257

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:39   #131
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
Whereas with out MY2020 XC60 our Active headlights on the fastest setting mean I got flashed about five times in 10 minutes on trialing them - so now they are switched off - they seemed to react about 2 seconds slower than a human can - I'm now wondering if they are faulty or just not fit for purpose...
Had Active headlights on my previous XC60. They worked OK but I also found them a bit slow to react and switched them off. I think it's a limit of the technology. I think part of the issue is that sometimes a human will see light rays from oncoming lights before the sensor does and react accordingly whereas the sensor needs to wait until it actually sees the lights before reacting.

If the active headlights are taking 2 seconds to react AFTER it has seen the actual lights then there's a fault somewhere.
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 15:23   #132
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
If the active headlights are taking 2 seconds to react AFTER it has seen the actual lights then there's a fault somewhere.
I am not conviced that the above is true. The headlights have to react before they blind an oncoming car.
This may not already be the case from the moment you see the lights of the other car.
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 17:37   #133
Pitvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I am not conviced that the above is true. The headlights have to react before they blind an oncoming car.
This may not already be the case from the moment you see the lights of the other car.
Thanks to both posters - I was getting flashed so I guess they were impacting other drivers - I'll mention it at the first service but as was said I can react much quicker than the system...
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 21:57   #134
Fursty Ferret

I've never been flashed while driving a car with adaptive shadow lights (old V60, SPA V60, and SPA V90). I've also never been able to tell if an approaching or following car has adaptive shadow turned on, so I assume the system works pretty well.

Having said that I'm not hugely impressed by the throw when following other traffic. You might be able to see the side of the road more clearly but directly in front of the car is noticeably worse than normal dipped beam.

I've mentioned it to the dealer and they said that there's nothing that can be tweaked to improve it.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote