Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Totally new to Volvo and looking to buy my first V50!

Views : 1109

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2020, 17:36   #11
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

My slightly Volvo biased engine lookup guide for these cars:

The Peugeot engines won't leave you stranded but they have stupid issues like big air bubbles getting into the fuel lines.

I ran a 2.0d for nearly 3 years and whilst it never "Broke down", it was a constant battle with limp home mode.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jan 21st, 2020 at 18:03.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 00:08   #12
M4ss4

My C30 is a D2, which touch wood on the whole is fine.

I have a couple of niggles with it but beyond having to replace the DPF pressure sensor hose (rubber sections) the dpf is one of the self regenerating dpfs and seems to be regenerating okay. I think this is the same as what is fitted to my XC's D5 block.

I do use it to commute around 85 miles a day so it does get the opportunity to get hot enough.

Re the power, i too have had a passat tdi and certainly in the c30 the power is not too bad. It is not quick but it pulls okay in 2nd upwards. Probably doesn't pull as strong as the passat i had but that was around 130hp like you have mentioned.

It picks up enough at motorway speeds to get you out of a lane and around a vehicle without changing down etc.

It doesn't pull like a D5 that is for sure but it is fun enough. We had a 1.8 V50 a while back and that was solid, i do miss it, but the c30 does fill the hole 🤣

For me this is my second car and I commute a fair distance so cost effectiveness is key for me. £30 road tax is great too.

I probably agree re the volvo engines mentioned above and would have bought the d5 or d4 if the C30 was to be the main family car 👍
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M4ss4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 13:42   #13
Raker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ss4 View Post
My C30 is a D2, which touch wood on the whole is fine.

I have a couple of niggles with it but beyond having to replace the DPF pressure sensor hose (rubber sections) the dpf is one of the self regenerating dpfs and seems to be regenerating okay. I think this is the same as what is fitted to my XC's D5 block.

I do use it to commute around 85 miles a day so it does get the opportunity to get hot enough.

Re the power, i too have had a passat tdi and certainly in the c30 the power is not too bad. It is not quick but it pulls okay in 2nd upwards. Probably doesn't pull as strong as the passat i had but that was around 130hp like you have mentioned.

It picks up enough at motorway speeds to get you out of a lane and around a vehicle without changing down etc.

It doesn't pull like a D5 that is for sure but it is fun enough. We had a 1.8 V50 a while back and that was solid, i do miss it, but the c30 does fill the hole 🤣

For me this is my second car and I commute a fair distance so cost effectiveness is key for me. £30 road tax is great too.

I probably agree re the volvo engines mentioned above and would have bought the d5 or d4 if the C30 was to be the main family car 👍
Thanks so much for the post mate! I'm now fairly convinced reading this that the 1.6TDCi is a bad combination in a V50 - particularly if it's just 'not too bad' in a C30 which is fair bit lighter I'd imagine? Glad to know that the dry DPF regens well enough for you though! This car will be my daily drive and the main large family car for trips and jaunts etc. So I think I need to be looking at a D3 really in the V50.....

Last edited by Raker; Jan 22nd, 2020 at 14:11.
Raker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 13:43   #14
Raker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
My slightly Volvo biased engine lookup guide for these cars:

The Peugeot engines won't leave you stranded but they have stupid issues like big air bubbles getting into the fuel lines.

I ran a 2.0d for nearly 3 years and whilst it never "Broke down", it was a constant battle with limp home mode.
Legend. This is really helpful. Basically, I really need a D3 to pull a V50 along well enough by the looks of it.....
Raker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 12:49   #15
karlB

Yes I would say the list is biased, my car just passed Mot (UK) yesterday with 190.727 miles on the clock 2.0D 136 bhp no dpf ford/peugeot engine.
karlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 15:39   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlB View Post
Yes I would say the list is biased, my car just passed Mot (UK) yesterday with 190.727 miles on the clock 2.0D 136 bhp no dpf ford/peugeot engine.
The 2.0D is okay, it's just not as good as the 5-cylinder Volvo engines. However it is perfectly adequate and acceptable (if maintained correctly) just as it is in every Focus, Mondeo, Galaxy, S-Max, C4, C5, 407, Vitara, etc. etc. that it was also fitted to...

I say again they are made to be simple and easy to fix - case in point is the lack of in-tank fuel pump. Less to go wrong but if the fuel system is disturbed in anyway or you need to change the filter - you need to go through a bleeding process as it doesn't self prime. Probably because PSA were not good at electrics so if they could opt out - they didn't bother.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 26th, 2020 at 15:42.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 21:57   #17
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker View Post
@BendolfC - What have you currently got fella?
Just seen your reply, 2005 S40. Same as the V50 but in saloon form.

Bought in 2010 with 79K on the clock now on 211K. Didn't intend to keep it this long but it's been reliable so it's still here despite having taken out a 15K loan for its replacement in Feb last year. Done the garden and bathroom instead.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote