Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing the front bumper cover

Views : 160890

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 19:46   #21
lsv

Default Headlamp Wiper

Hi there,

Given this a try but absolutely stumpped by the headlamp wipers. As directed, got two bolts out and six 'plugs' near engine bay but the plastic bumper hole is obviously not big enough for the wiper component to fit through.

Is there a way to remove the actual wiper arm to allow removal of the bumper?

Thanks,
lsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 20:13   #22
lsv

Talking Fog Lamp Done - but with wipers

Hi,

Just replaced RH front fog by removing bumper- very useful guide but posting the following as i noticed a few differences. '02 S60 (winter pack)

Both rubbing strips removed with fingers
2x 12mm bolts removed
6x push out plug things above grill
On each side, I had an additional plastic/nylon nut and bolt/screw on the bottom corner of the horizontal part of the bumper (just before the wheel arch). Think this was a 10mm nut and the bolt had a slot for flat head screwdriver.
To remove headlamp wiper arms, first pull off the washer tube. at the bottom of the arm, where the hinge mechanism is, there is a cover which flips up to expose a 8mm nut. Undo this completely then pull of the arms - mines required a bit of persuading :-)
You should now be able to remove the bumper.
Once exposed, the fog is held in place by three torx 25 screws. remove. There is a locking mechanism for the cable - push the metal catch in and remove the cable from the back of the lamp.
Fit new lamp.
When putting bumper back on make sure washer tubes are put through hole in bumper first!

Hope that helps someone!
lsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 15:27   #23
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I attempted to remove the bumper cover a few weeks back when trying to change a headlamp bulb (see my writeup in the next Driver...!); got all the bolts, clips etc out (even managed to not crack the chrome inserts) but was ultimately thwarted in my attempts by the washer jets (post-facelift car). The covers for the jets are, naturally, wider than the holes they cover; I could see they should unclip somehow but didn't want to try and force anything in case I broke it!

Anyone know how to remove the top of the washer jet?

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 15:49   #24
bradams

I too am trying to remove the front bumper, but mine sounds different to your description and all the removal articles posted widely.

Firstly, no-one seems to mention the arch liner. Have I picked it up right that it is held in place with pop rivets which must therefore be drilled out and replaced with new? (I'd rather know before I start wrecking things!)

Secondly, I don't see any torx screw inside the wheel arch (unless it is covered over by the liner?). There is only a torx-keyed screw at the very corner of the plastic bumper, and it doesn't push in - it screws right out yet the bumper is still rigid. There is something securing it at the metal/plastic junction underneath the running light.

I hope everybody sees this post as it is a reply to a now very old thread. (I may post it elsewhere).
bradams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 20:41   #25
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

You don't need to remove the wheel arch liners; the torx bolt is at the top corner of the bumper, just in the wheelarch, and the only "pop rivets" that have to be removed are the plastic ones top and bottom, where you push in the central pin and lft out.

MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:59   #26
lilrock71

Default How do you remove the headlight wiper assembly

Your post on removing the front bumper was very helpful. However, I have headlight wipers and they are holding up the removal of the bumper. Do you know how to remove the wipers?
lilrock71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 11:11   #27
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrock71 View Post
Your post on removing the front bumper was very helpful. However, I have headlight wipers and they are holding up the removal of the bumper. Do you know how to remove the wipers?
See post 22 above...

MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 00:15   #28
john1958

Smile Same for S80 2002?

I will be removing bumper to replace the aircon condenser, so just wanted to check that the S60 instructions would be the same for a S80.
Also, anyone know of part number for the 5 or 6 plastic push in clips if they need to be renewed?
Thanks.
john1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 18:05   #29
dave viney

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcaveman View Post
I have been asked to post this, again this job was how I did it on a s60 2002.
first remove the black trim on the bumper using a wide blade screw driver or similar tool be gentle!!!!.
Undo the bolts x2 holding the bumper cover (12mm socket)
inside the wheel arches you will see a torx screw ( sorry can't remember the size) undo this untill you have just a few threads left holding it on then push the whole screw in, (this pushes the catch holding the bumper cover) which releases the rear edge.
Now look above the grill you will see 5 I think push button catches.
Push the centres with a small screw driver and remove the catches.
The Bumper cover should now be ready for removal dont forget to undo the fog light wires I think thats about it. ( always be gentle)

If you need to remove the headlight you will now need to undo the black plastic assembly which holds the bumper rear catch, (if you have got this far you will see what I mean) quite hard to explain without a picture, 2 torx (can't remember the size sorry) and 2 bolts (10mm socket).
The head lights are held in by 4 bolts (10mm) I refer to the spanner / socket required and not the bolt diam to make things easier for you.
Again next time I do a job I will photograph it to make it easier for everybody.
As I said at the start this is the way I did the job it is not set in stone but use only as a guide.
As with any job in the motor industry do not attempt if you have any doubts of your own capability.
Having said that its a doddle to do and should take no more then 10 / 15 minutes.
Hope this guide has been of use to somebody.
Wheel hub to do this weekend I will post a guide after if it will be of any use to anybody.
All the best Cpt.....
hi captcavemen - i need to do this to replace headlamp on my v70 but i have headlamp wipers & washers - can you advise the extra steps please?
dave viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 16:53   #30
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Very useful

Hi Capt,

Was very useful info as i had to remove mine recently also,, i found out a useful things about the washer jet things & how to remove them if you have a later 04 onward S60, i will post soon with some pictures, promises promises!
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote