Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v40 amp location and wire routes

Views : 3536

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2014, 08:26   #1
craig8661
Master Member

Default Volvo v40 amp location and wire routes

Had realised other day the v40 has the sub in the boot but was not working. Upon removing the head unit the is no amp cable where does this cable run and where is the amp located on these cars. I have managed to get enough room on the right hand rear trim and the sub is still there and the plug is still connected. On left hand side I have a tool cupboard and have got that partially forward but can't see anything there. Front I have looked behind radio and no sighns of cable car also has a lot of speakers fitted to it.
It's a year 2000 v40 estate

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:37   #2
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Not 100% sure on this, but there was in my old car (S) what appeared to be a shielded phono cable running front to back along the driver's side, under the carpet next to the main wiring loom, attached to the door sill.... and you're looking for a thick black rubbery cable there. I can only assume that was feeding the sub directly from behind the dash, but no idea how that wired into the head unit. Also no idea if mine had an amp, but I assumed it didn't.

EDIT: that cable might have been for the towbar wiring.

My Sport Lux has a DIN cable going into the HU655, but the S didn't have one in the HU605.

If yours has got a separate amp in the back, then you're probably looking for a DIN plug and cable loose around the back of the HU aperture somewhere, although I'm not sure of the routing for that, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't attached to or sited with the rest of the wiring loom somehow in the same routing place down the driver's side. Again not 100% sure that I have an amp, but given there's an extra DIN, I assume so.

Not entirely clear, I know, but there were a lot of options on the S/V40, mine were both phase 2, so won't necessarily match yours anyway

Last edited by baldmosher; Apr 15th, 2014 at 13:43.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 13:02   #3
kuli112

Hi.
Looking in VADIS there seems to be no additional amp on v40.
I think the speaker box has one in it .
Your best bet would to buy a new sub from ebay and try it. They are quite cheap, but I dont know if there is difference between phase 1 and phase 2.
kuli112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 13:35   #4
craig8661
Master Member

On the back of the radio there is a spare round hole that says amp it's the old style audio type plug by the looks of it. That cable is missing as far as I can tell as can't find it any where around there

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 13:40   #5
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

That's the mini-DIN socket. If you have two DIN on the HU, and one DIN already has a cable plugged in, then that's almost certainly your subwoofer output. Whether you also have an amp will depend on a few factors, mainly whether someone paid for the uprated sound system

Like I said my S didn't have a cable plugged into the DIN socket but the sub definitely worked. It's very unlikely that the sub will have blown, more likely to be cabling issue.

I just thought that maybe the rubbery cable was the towbar electrical wiring - if so then the subwoofer was presumably wired direct from the HU through the main loom, same as the rear speakers.

Last edited by baldmosher; Apr 15th, 2014 at 13:42.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 14:14   #6
kuli112

My V40 has been fitted with an aftermarket stereo. The sub in the boot still works so I assume there is an amp in the sub.
Way to test if the sub gets an signal is to unplug the sub and try the cable with voltmeter.
If there is any voltage then the sub is gone.
BTW mine is an 2000 phase 1 too.
kuli112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 14:19   #7
craig8661
Master Member

Just spoke to a volvo breaker on ebay he said din on back of radio not used amp is built on back of sub and should have two plugs connected sounds like it takes the feed of the speaker loom for audio

The Following User Says Thank You to craig8661 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 14:36   #8
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

wonder why I have a second DIN plugged in then... maybe for an official Volvo hands free kit....? I pulled out some odd looking black boxes and badly wired cables the other day, and there's a cable routed behind the A pillar up to the roof liner somewhere.

Must try removing the DIN to see what happens to the speakers!
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 14:43   #9
craig8661
Master Member

That sounds like a hands free kit unless there was a change over different setup

Old Apr 15th, 2014, 15:36   #10
craig8661
Master Member

It's started working now lol so must have nudged a dodgy wire have to say tho there isn't much difference on it