Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - Can I Disable Airbag Sensors?

Views : 4756

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 16:30   #31
Jim_V70_2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
I would also recommend asking around as Mike suggests before buying one.

Vida can read/reset airbag warnings, however I have come across a car (not mine) where the SRS errors wouldn't reset for some reason - never found out why that was.

So if there is an underlying issue, it may not reset or indeed diagnose the problem.
Well, this is where I am now too. The airbag problem was the broken wire under the driver's seat. VIDA/Dice can't or won't reset the SRS module.

The original errors (SRS-0042, SRS-0044, SRS-0107) are now all green but the stored codes just won't erase.

As advised by VIDA, I reset the ECM module first, and the SRS stil will not reset despite dozens of attempts.

For everyone's info, the simple 2.2-Ohm resistor across the pins in the airbag cable does work to temporarily bypass the airbag for testing, and the error disappears (except I can't reset my SRS module) but of course the resistor should not be left in and the airbag should not be bypassed for normal use.
Jim_V70_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 02:12   #32
Jim_V70_2001

If anyone is following this thread, the saga has not yet concluded, it continues on this one: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182128
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:38   #33
nickbw898

I think that what you are trying to do required a re-install of software (firmware) which of course can only be done by someone with a subscription to Vida. Some independents have this but all main dealers do.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:51   #34
Unreal master tech

Hi Jim from my experience the only way to clear the srs unit is to carry out a reload of software for some reason it clears the memory of such fault codes and should turn the light off cost of software should be under £100 but it's not a guarantee fix but it's worth a shot? Hope you have some luck!
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:53   #35
Jim_V70_2001

Hi guys, thanks for posting.

I didn't know this thread was still going.

We tried the firmware reload at the main dealer when they were trying to reset the error code, and it wouldn't set into the SRS module (or it still wouldn't reset the error code after the firmware reload, I can't remember which). They only charged me half an hour, which is fine, but quoted me an awful lot of money for a new one so I took the car back without changing the module.

Then (on the other thread I told the whole story), I bought a couple of used SRS modules from ebay to avoid wasting time and that was a good thing - the first one showed the wrong model code, P26, so I was worried and didn't continue, just pulled it out right away, the second one showed S60 so I kept it in, and I cleared the fault. In fact the first one was probably the right one (see below) - but anyway.

So I took the car back to my local friendly dealer and they loaded new firmware into the "new" module. So SRS problem solved, airbag service light and message gone, and MoT won.

But, they didn't do it quite right, my original module showed model V70 but the new module shows model P26, same as the first SRS module I put in. And for some reason it is logging a driver's door mirror motor fault - the window motor works so I can only imagine the techie didn't set window motor parameters right in the configuration map.

I can't be bothered to go back, there is no error light or message apart from the old Emissions Service (front O2 sensor heater faulty) and DST Service required messages - I think I disturbed the latteral acceleration sensor when I pulled out the SRS module, it is near it.

So there we are.

I still have the first spare SRS module showing the P26 model, if anyone is interested in it, cross my palm with a couple of coins and postage.

Last edited by Jim_V70_2001; May 31st, 2014 at 12:58.
Old May 31st, 2014, 13:24   #36
oragex
Premier Member

I just got this front oxygen sensor for my car with the 2.4i petrol non turbo and it works.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 15:14   #37
reggit
Premier Member

That's interesting, I bought my V70 with an SRS warning on - it had a damaged squib ring. When I changed it, the warning wouldn't reset. It showed as being inactive in vida, but I couldn't reset the SRS light. I bought a 2nd hand unit, which like yours showed as a P26 model. I could reset the active faults on this unit, but the SRS light stayed on as I had an 'incorrect configuration' error.

I took both units to an ECU place so the could build one out of 2 with the correct model configuration on it. I actually got both units back - my original which now works correctly, and the P26 one, which works and extinguishes the SRS light, but shows a couple of unrelated codes (can't remember what now) but everything works.

Just thought I'd say that you aren't alone in weird SRS faults!